1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Url patterns, what do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cedivad, Aug 14, 2010.

1. cedivad

cedivad Active Member

news.php?id=123456
    news/123456/
    news/123456-news-title/
    news/2010/5/news-title/
    site.com/nUfed7dA (where the first n stands for News, Ufed7dA is the parameter)

I think the last one is the best. Simply because it will stay the same for years.

2. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

I'd prefer news/news-title-123456/ or something similar.

3. Disjunto

Disjunto Well-Known Member

I like how XF has it at the moment. the URL makes sense to read, and it doesn't have excessive / and the title+id separator isn't used anywhere within the title

Ceri May, Anthony and Brandon_R like this.
  4. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

Same here.

5. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

The current XF implementation means the most to me.

6. Steffi

Steffi Active Member

Same here. :D

7. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

I like the way XF does it.

8. Lost

Lost Well-Known Member

The XF implementation kind of grew on me.

9. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

I prefer the way XF has it as well. I never particularly liked /234/567/title or odd combinations of it. The only time I didn't mind that was for blogs or news articles that I could tell the date by the URL (2008/6/16).

10. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

as long as Google is able to read the URL, I do not care how it looks like...

gordy likes this.
  11. TheComputerGuy

TheComputerGuy Active Member

site.com/nUfed7dA

12. cedivad

cedivad Active Member

Well, i'm not alone =)
    Who is the one that looks like an astronaut?

13. Out of those options I like the third the most but I've come across one that's pretty much the same that I think is even better.

news/123456/news-title/

Then you can adjust the news-title to whatever you want or ditch it all together if you need shortness.

As an example the Stuff news website in NZ uses that format. So the following three urls all point to the same story.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4026016/Mailbox-rule-a-low-blow-says-outraged-resident
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4026016/Short-One
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4026016/

14. Danny.VBT

Danny.VBT Active Member

I like the third one too. In fact, I am not a big fan of XF's current URL structure. The argument that we read left to right is a moot point considering that the title is now wedge in the middle of the domain and ID/Request parameters.

It's much easier, for me atleast, to focus on the end of a string to get the relevant title.

15. pk698

pk698 Active Member

The way XF displays it right now seems ideal to me. It just seems better suited for SEO.

16. TheComputerGuy

TheComputerGuy Active Member

I want short url's. long urls gave business to bit.ly and the such. Great services...just trying to cut out the middle man.

17. feldon30

feldon30 Well-Known Member

SEO friendly doesn't have to mean user hostile. That URL has little meaning to a user and cannot be distinguished from any other thread URL when viewed in a list.

18. cedivad

cedivad Active Member

That is not seo friendly.