Turnkey Mobile Apps for XenForo with Addon/Theme Support, Android & iPhone [Deleted]

@Freelancer To make sure I understand right, there are six styles. Twenty Two, Default, UI.X, and three others. Which ones do you want available inside the app and which ones do you want available outside the app?

I have a child style from UIX which is my regular style and then a child style from that style which is optimized for the (old) TMA App usage. So I want to have the first child as default and the sub child as the app style. Beside that I want to have the admin being able to use any style to test stuff. In the past that was possible. I do not quite understand the new way to handle this. Also, why are the different styles not listed in the Style Properties to chose from but only the "App Style".

It would be great to have a pulldown menu in the ACP TMA Options to chose the app style. Then have an option to checkmark that the chosen style overrides everything else (for the APP!) or not. So I can force app users to only be able to use that particular style or be free to chose any style that can be chosen. In any way, the regular desktop users should not be influenced by this.

Please learn from the mistakes that Tapatalk made. Do not force new rigorous changes on your customers out of the blue. It is what makes Tapatalk completely unreliable and untrustworthy. I would advise to bank on that instead of doing something similar.

We do not want nor need a new style with up/downvoting. If we want a forced style then we can go with Slavik. To have options is nice. To have them forced upon you comes across as unreliable.
What we need is a wrapper app with PUSH and SHARE. Our site needs to be recognizable in terms of style and functionality.

Please learn from the mistakes that Tapatalk made. Do not force new rigorous changes on your customers out of the blue. It is what makes Tapatalk completely unreliable and untrustworthy. I would advise to bank on that instead of doing something similar.

We do not want nor need a new style with up/downvoting. If we want a forced style then we can go with Slavik. To have options is nice. To have them forced upon you comes across as unreliable.
What we need is a wrapper app with PUSH and SHARE. Our site needs to be recognizable in terms of style and functionality.
i thought the new style is just optional? i didnt enable it and the app is working fine

@vbresults If any of these functions are available could you add that to the resource description:
  1. Use alternative PUSH server.
  2. Share image / video from the phone to XFMG.
  3. Share file from the phone to XFRM.
  4. Use location to fill XF location.
  5. Add XF contacts to phone contacts.
  6. Send XF conversation to phone contact.
  7. Invite phone contacts to XF.
  8. Speech to post.
  9. Share calendar event to FS Events.
  10. PUSH notification preferences in XF account
  11. Support Google Authenticator and Authy apps
  12. Support PayPal App
  13. XenBase support

I will just not enable it too. But then I can't force users to use my optimized child style of my custom main style. The way styles are made available for the app and how to enforce them needs to be optimized.
I understand what you mean; to clarify, the style is optional, and the changes to the style checking system may seem arbitrary, and can be improved, but for the most part this was implemented specifically for compliance with Apple's requirements during the submission process.
@vbresults If any of these functions are available could you add that to the resource description:
  1. Use alternative PUSH server. Partially implemented
  2. Share image / video from the phone to XFMG.
  3. Share file from the phone to XFRM.
  4. Use location to fill XF location.
  5. Add XF contacts to phone contacts.
  6. Send XF conversation to phone contact.
  7. Invite phone contacts to XF.
  8. Speech to post.
  9. Share calendar event to FS Events.
  10. PUSH notification preferences in XF account Implemented
  11. Support Google Authenticator and Authy apps
  12. Support PayPal App
  13. XenBase support
As part of the shift to adding Reddit features, in the next update we will be adding the option to share into the app (as someone has mentioned on TAZ, Reddit's content is based commenting on content from external sites such as links, videos, images) -- share-in is officially coming.

Push notification settings were implemented in 2.2. The support for an external push server is already built into the app and is in the add-on (but hidden), we just need to finish the redistributable push server software.

Last edited:
Will this include sharing of local file, video, images from phone to XF?
It would be a major feature if our users can share their mobile videos to our site.
If the phone supports it then yes, the only questionable one is videos -- there may be technical limitations preventing this. The way we do uploads without using an API is by base64-encoding the content, then decoding it in the webview via JS and uploading it like a regular attachment with AJAX.

With a video, the RAM/memory requirements may be too extreme. Just thinking out loud, it's not impossible but probably the last one to be implemented.

I have a child style from UIX which is my regular style and then a child style from that style which is optimized for the (old) TMA App usage. So I want to have the first child as default and the sub child as the app style. Beside that I want to have the admin being able to use any style to test stuff. In the past that was possible. I do not quite understand the new way to handle this. Also, why are the different styles not listed in the Style Properties to chose from but only the "App Style".

It would be great to have a pulldown menu in the ACP TMA Options to chose the app style. Then have an option to checkmark that the chosen style overrides everything else (for the APP!) or not. So I can force app users to only be able to use that particular style or be free to chose any style that can be chosen. In any way, the regular desktop users should not be influenced by this.
If we added a new option called "Unselectable outside of app" (by default, checked only on Twenty Two) just below "App style" (since both these checkboxes serve different purposes) -- I think it would solve the problems. Thoughts?

If we added a new option called "Unselectable outside of app" (by default, checked only on Twenty Two) just below "App style" (since both these checkboxes serve different purposes) -- I think it would solve the problems. Thoughts?
For usability I would recommend to add a pulldown menu with all the styles you have installed and let the admin decide which he associates to the app and then add two options to check: "Unselectable outside of app" (as you proposed) and "Not changeable inside the app". That is important because I also want users be forced to use that style and not be able to switch to another inside the app. Then the "style chooser" and the "preferences" selection should be hidden for app users.

Video should go to XFMG so it can be transcoded by FFMPEG.

We need an add on/core update so that this can be done for posts in thread as well. It feels long overdue.

Immediate basic feedback from a very quick play with the new app via The Admin Zone:

• The camera and new post buttons in the bottom left and right corner of the screen need a stroke around them, perhaps with a bit of drop shadow, so they pop above the rest of the forum. With the current design they blend too much into the background and it's difficult to distinguish them from the rest of the page.
  • The hamburger menu doesn't show a menu like in your video when I try to use it. It seems to just hide and show the logo and navigation bar at the top of the page? Even that doesn't feel too intuitive, took some playing to figure out what it was actually doing.

• When posting a thread from anywhere, when you get to the 'Forum name' field, the entire list should appear even with no text entered, so the user can browse and scroll through the list if they're unsure of what letter to type. You shouldn't have to type a letter for the list to appear and start refining itself.
  • The text field for composing your message is a single line that doesn't get bigger? That's particularly unfriendly for creating posts longer than a single sentence.
  • The new posts button could request your title and forum, then upon submission from that page instead bring you to the native web-view create new post page of the forum with the title pre-filled and the relevant sub forum selected. Then the user would have a proper, full featured, responsive text editor.

• The new posts page seems to have gone?

• I love that you now have so much granular control over what notifications you receive, but the entire list is far too long. It feels like there's over 100 notification options in the TAZ app, this will be overwhelming for most users (it's overwhelming for me). There should be a section at the top to toggle the most used notifications. Defaulting to 'AMS Article' at the start in the TAZ app will mean nothing to lots of users.
  • I would perhaps split off core push options from those provided by add ons. Heck, you could track all the push notifications from any given site and list the top 10 or 20 actions that trigger notifications for that particular site.
  • If there's that many notification options you should be able to search and refine the results in real time, similar to a native iOS search such as the top of the settings app.

It feels like it's moving in the right direction, but still has a a long way to go, especially with regards to the UI. Still feels a bit clunky to me. The native iOS sharing into the app mentioned above sounds like it could be a cool feature though.

The camera and new post buttons in the bottom left and right corner of the screen need a stroke around them, perhaps with a bit of drop shadow, so they pop above the rest of the forum. With the current design they blend too much into the background and it's difficult to distinguish them from the rest of the page.
Due to technical limitations we can't consistently drop a shadow there across platforms at this time, but will look into the stroke.
The hamburger menu doesn't show a menu like in your video when I try to use it. It seems to just hide and show the logo and navigation bar at the top of the page? Even that doesn't feel too intuitive, took some playing to figure out what it was actually doing.
The menu in the video is part of the Twenty Two skin; if you have a different style active it will toggle the navigation as you've mentioned instead. It can be overridden to show/hide a drawer in other styles if they implement one, there is a setting for that in the style properties.
When posting a thread from anywhere, when you get to the 'Forum name' field, the entire list should appear even with no text entered, so the user can browse and scroll through the list if they're unsure of what letter to type. You shouldn't have to type a letter for the list to appear and start refining itself.
Very good idea; I think rather than cramming the list in one page, when the forum name field is tapped we should open a separate page similar to the settings app.
The text field for composing your message is a single line that doesn't get bigger? That's particularly unfriendly for creating posts longer than a single sentence.
This was already fixed, just need to push the update to the app stores which will be done in a few weeks :)
The new posts page seems to have gone?
When you say new posts are you referring to the editor? We've discovered a display bug related to that and it will be fixed in the add-on update coming out in a few hours.
I love that you now have so much granular control over what notifications you receive, but the entire list is far too long. It feels like there's over 100 notification options in the TAZ app, this will be overwhelming for most users (it's overwhelming for me).

If there's that many notification options you should be able to search and refine the results in real time, similar to a native iOS search such as the top of the settings app.
This would be another good candidate for a search page, will get this in the next app store update.

Very good stuff, thank you for your feedback :)

turnkeymobileapps updated Turnkey Mobile Apps for XenForo with Addon/Theme Support, Android & iPhone with a new update entry:

Turnkey Mobile Apps v2.2.3 (Add-on Only)

This is an add-on update; some changes require an update to the app (marked with a star) and will be released separately later this week. To apply this update, follow UPGRADE.txt. Note that this is not a major upgrade, but will require the add-on and files to be upgraded/overwritten respectively.

• New Style Property for Simplified App Style Management

screen-shot-2017-04-18-at-6-50-13-pm-png.151378

• In non-navigation drawer skins, pressing the menu button now goes to the top instantly
    (previously, it would transition but this was visually confusing)

• Renamed "Navigation:...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:
Okay, installed 2.2.3 but I don't find this as an improvement.

Here I have to warn every Admin to NOT use those two settings strike-through in red below, as with "Twenty Two" it is equal to your users not being able to switch back anymore since the links and menus are missing in the desktop browser version and you need the native app UI buttons to get to a style chooser. You will have to reset this globally or get complaints from your visitors.

Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 6.50.13 PM.webp

This is still not a satisfying solution. How can I set the app up for my own created app custom style as the "default in app style" that only appears in app?

Here I have to warn every Admin to NOT use those two settings strike-through in red below, as with "Twenty Two" it is equal to your users not being able to switch back anymore since the links and menus are missing in the desktop browser version and you need the native app UI buttons to get to a style chooser. You will have to reset this globally or get complaints from your visitors.
Yes, Twenty Two is app-only -- and in restrospect it would be extremely helpful if we noted that in the description for the setting so people don't accidentally select the other two options for Twenty Two, instead of assuming they'll leave it at the default.
How can I set the app up for my own created app custom style as the "default in app style" that only appears in app?
Just disable Twenty Two and select that same radio button in your custom style :)

Yes, it will catch some admins by surprise and some users will have a hard time to figure out what actually happened. Prepare for support requests...

Just disable Twenty Two and select that same radio button in your custom style :)
Check. Thank you. That will work. I took my sub style and set it to "app only".

Top Bottom