1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Trouble converting from vb to XF

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Radiola, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Radiola

Radiola Member

And I am stuck in the middle here and I admit I am not a techno person. Also trying to install XF package for my new website but that's another problem for another day.

So I loaded the XF package onto the server. I use Ipswitch more out of habit that for any other reason. I did the config file because the values should not have changed from vb.

I should be ready to install but all I get is "Internal server error". Maybe I Missed a step somewhere.

2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

You created the config file yourself? That could be a problem. I would suggest deleting that and running the install because that will create the config file for you automatically.

3. Radiola

Radiola Member

Okay, I took out my configured file but I'm not getting to "install".....

4. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Did you place all the files in /upload into the root directory of your virtual host. To frequently a new user will copy the /upload directory in the vhost root and that won't work.
    I don't mean to sound like I'm talking "down" to you, because I'm not. It's just that you stated you were not a "techno" person, and that has even got some folks that were "techno". :)

5. Radiola

Radiola Member

Tracy, you aren't talking down to me. Just an old dog learning some new tricks, or, trying to upgrade my life skills. I live and learn.

I have the xf files on a thumb drive. I loaded it into the existing connection I have with Ipswitch. In addition to what I downloaded there's a folder showing in the right panel of IPswitch called antifraudintl.org which contains a lot of files and folders that are all operating commands but they look like vb files and folders.

To answer your question (and thanks for your help) I don't think I loaded them into the root directory but I could be wrong.

I was trying ton install a full xf package onto a new website yesterday and I was planning to upgrade the current website in a few days but the IPswitch seems to have installed into both connections.

6. Tracy Perry

If you are on shared hosting using Apache, typically an new domains you create will be under the /public_html folder. You need to find the domain you created and copy all contents of the /upload folder over into it. If you are not familiar with the process then I would suggest engaging the service of someone who is, as if you have a currently running site and copy the XF files over it, you could have (and probably will) have problems.

7. Radiola

Radiola Member

Yes it's shared hosting on Dreamhost. I think it copied xf to both connections. I have no idea who I would contact for help.

8. Tracy Perry

If you want to start a convo with me and don't mind sharing your login details, I'll be happy to take a glance at it and see if it is something I can figure out.

9. Radiola

Radiola Member

Thanks. I'd be happy to skype and we could figure something out from there.

10. Radiola

Radiola Member

Step 3 definitely done but when I go to step 4 I can't install.

11. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I have replied to your ticket.

12. Tracy Perry

This conversion is currently under way.

13. Radiola

Radiola Member

Problem entirely resolved thanks to the most excellent help of Tracy Perry.