Trending Content [Unsupported]

Trending Content [Unsupported] [Paid] 3.0.0 Beta 5

No permission to buy (£20.00)
Enable debug mode for your ip, click the number of queries at the bottom of the page, and then copy and paste the queries to me.

Newcomer to this and just installed 2.0.0 , however I am getting a strange array message at the top of my Trending Topics page:
https://animeforums.net/trending/topics

Code:
array(2) {
  [0] => bool(true)
  [1] => string(1) "0"
}
array(2) {
  [0] => bool(true)
  [1] => string(1) "0"
}

Seems to show up on the default style too.

trending-content.webp

I'm not using any of the other resource types (media, posts, resources, etc.)

Any help would greatly be appreciated. :)

is there an algorithm for "latest post" + "number of replies" ?

So that "latest posts" which are having "1 Reply" will pop to the top of the Trending-list and if more than "1 Reply" it will also consider the "number of replies" ?
In order to see "latest posts" at the very top, but sorted by the amount of replies ("latest-posts" with "most replies" listed on top).
No.

With your 2.x version, I'm getting a frontend error on the profile tab page only:

Code:
Template Errors: avf_trendingtopics_profile_posts
Argument 4 passed to XenForo_Template_Helper_Core::helperLikesHtml() must be of the type array, null given in /home/ptsdforu/public_html/c/library/XenForo/Template/Helper/Core.php, line 411
Argument 4 passed to XenForo_Template_Helper_Core::helperLikesHtml() must be of the type array, null given in /home/ptsdforu/public_html/c/library/XenForo/Template/Helper/Core.php, line 411

Newcomer to this and just installed 2.0.0 , however I am getting a strange array message at the top of my Trending Topics page:
https://animeforums.net/trending/topics

Code:
array(2) {
  [0] => bool(true)
  [1] => string(1) "0"
}
array(2) {
  [0] => bool(true)
  [1] => string(1) "0"
}

Seems to show up on the default style too.

View attachment 130660

I'm not using any of the other resource types (media, posts, resources, etc.)

Any help would greatly be appreciated. :)

I've published a new zip, will you guys please download 2.0 again from xenmods and try again?

Lovely. I also found the media age wasn't working for me, and it just shows all media, regardless of what settings I use. The trending posts doesn't even display on the latest XF version, using the default theme.

Are there any server errors? That doesn't make any sense. Trending posts is working with the latest version of Xenforo on xenmods. I'll look into the media gallery issue that you reported.

I have a styling question. I didn't want to (wanting to keep add-ons to a minimum), but I installed the widget framework and am now showing a few trending topics along with a couple of other widgets, one an RSS feed from our Wordpress site. The entries in the widget for Trending are indented, where all the other widgets are on the left margin. It's minor, but...is there a way to change it easily? I already modified it slightly by removing some of the thread info from the display, but it displays indented either way.

No rush, just curious. I like the idea but it isn't working well for the forum--not enough activity. This would rock on a busier forum though, so I may delete it from this forum and move the license to a larger one.

Daniel Hood has passed Trending Content over to me as we commissioned it originally and he is retiring from the Xenforo coding scene.
Trending Content is available to purchase again by clicking the Buy Now button at the top and I will provide support here.
Thank you and apologies for the delay in bringing it back for sale.

Daniel Hood has passed Trending Content over to me as we commissioned it originally and he is retiring from the Xenforo coding scene.
Trending Content is available to purchase again by clicking the Buy Now button at the top and I will provide support here.
Thank you and apologies for the delay in bringing it back for sale.
are you going to be making any improvements to the addon Stuart or just providing support and maintenance? Daniel had promised more than a few things that never came to pass.

How about trending posts and not only threads?
Example Posts sorted:
  • by likes (or a specific/group of Post Ratings)
  • by replies (quotes)
  • by reports
In this way can be created a widget with posts sorted by like, usefulness, "solved rating" etc.
Or have a "staff only" widget with the most reported and recent posts

In a widget the Trending threads is just simple text, looks very plain. If you could make it have formatting, and an avatar, that would be great. :)

Here's a suggestion. Add a drop down to the "Trending topics" tab displaying nodes with the most activity in them going back X days.

I've been adding/removing forums manually for a while now, but it's a little time consuming. It's greatly appreciated by our visitors though, or so I heard :)

Here's what a populated list could look lite:
trending_topics.webp

Oh, and adding support for RSS would also be marvelous (would make it very easy to add a widget to for example Wordpress and display popular threads there). Just renewed my license as I've regained faith in this add-on :) Great work @Stuart Wright.

Last edited:
Is there a way to enable the sidebar without bd widget framework? I've had far to many problems/conflicts with this addon so don't use it.

If I can't well I am a little disappointed. I assumed I could use it without as many addons come with the option to have with and without the widget framework. The only thing the widget framework does for me is make things more complex then needed.

EDIT: Also noticed for some reason it's not adding the navbar tab like it should. Even though I have it set to on. I've checked all my themes even default and it's not showing yet it's enabled in admin.

Last edited:
Is there a way to enable the sidebar without bd widget framework? I've had far to many problems/conflicts with this addon so don't use it.

If I can't well I am a little disappointed. I assumed I could use it without as many addons come with the option to have with and without the widget framework. The only thing the widget framework does for me is make things more complex then needed.
I have to agree with this--I only installed the framework for that, and find it to be rather flaky in operation. I would just rather be rid of the framework entirely.

I have to agree with this--I only installed the framework for that, and find it to be rather flaky in operation. I would just rather be rid of the framework entirely.

Agreed. I used it back in 2013 for a site and it was a nightmare to work with. For someone like myself who sadly can't code it just isn't an option. I like to do things a certain way. The other issue is my sites theme is fully custom and to make it work stuff needs moving which the Widget Framwork breaks.

Like you, I would rather not have it installed. It increases server load, Causes conflicts and so on. It's also not been updated for 2 years now and possibly has issues on newer servers.

This is also the first time I've been "forced" to need it. Why can't a simple sidebar hook be made? It doesn't make it clear you need the Widget Framework when buying it only says a hook is included.

Lastly, I was annoyed to see the addon wasn't £20 it was £24 with VAT added. As a UK resident myself I know you normally include VAT in the price not add it on after. I.e if it says £20 it's £20 with VAT included. I understand it warns you VAT is added on but it doesn't mention this on XenForo.com which is very misleading. Just look at Amazon.co.uk they got roasted today for claiming postage/shipping was included/free but you have to spend £20 or more.

I'll probably just uninstall this add-on, then, until something comes up where I don't need the framework. I, too, have been struggling with it. Not that the idea itself is bad (a "pluggable" interface for sidebar layout is basically a good idea), but my thing is, if I start relying on the framework for too much, and it ends up being non-supported, or the XF 2.0 release completely kills it, then I'm stuck...again. I'm actually trying to do away with as many add-ons as I can, just so I'm not in a bind in the future. Something simple like this add-on could easily be deactivated and not affect other parts of the site.

Reactions: W.D
I'll probably just uninstall this add-on, then, until something comes up where I don't need the framework. I, too, have been struggling with it. Not that the idea itself is bad (a "pluggable" interface for sidebar layout is basically a good idea), but my thing is, if I start relying on the framework for too much, and it ends up being non-supported, or the XF 2.0 release completely kills it, then I'm stuck...again. I'm actually trying to do away with as many add-ons as I can, just so I'm not in a bind in the future. Something simple like this add-on could easily be deactivated and not affect other parts of the site.

Going to have a play with it first see if I can maybe insert it manually into my sidebar. If I can I'll send you a message with how after I make sure nothing breaks lol.

I'm the same in not wanting many addon's it causes load, insecurity etc.

EDIT: Being drunk seems to work for me. I've got it partly working without the widget framework. Once I've fixed the issues I'll send you the message with my edits. :)

EDIT2: I don't really want to PM everybody this dirty edit so if you have a problem with this code being posted @Stuart Wright please message me and I'll remove it.

To get this mod "sort of" working without BD Widget FrameWork open "forum_list" find <xen:sidebar> then below <xen:edithint template="sidebar.css" /> put the code in the spoiler below.

Code:
<xen:require css="search_results.css" />
<div class="section infoBlock">
        <div class="secondaryContent">
            <h3><a href="http://changetoyourdomain.xxx/trending/">{xen:phrase avf_trending_posts}</a></h3>
    <xen:require css="avf_trendingtopics_widget.css" />

<xen:foreach loop="{$threads}" value="{$thread}">
        <div class="secondaryContent">
            <h4 class="title">
                {xen:helper threadPrefix, $thread} <a href="{xen:link 'threads', {$thread}}">{$thread.title}</a><br />
            </h4>
            <span class="authorInfo">{xen:phrase 'posted_by'} <xen:username user="{$thread}" /></span>
            {xen:phrase 'avf_trendingtopics_in'} <a href="{xen:link 'forums', $thread.forum}">{$thread.forum.title}</a>
            <br /><span class="threadDate">{xen:datetime $thread.post_date}</span><br />
            <span class='stats muted'>{xen:phrase 'messages'}: {xen:number {$thread.reply_count}}</span>, <span class='stats muted'>{xen:phrase 'views'}: {xen:number {$thread.view_count}}</span><br />
        </div>
    </xen:foreach>
        </div>
</div>

Change the domain to yours to link it to /trending/ on line 4. I wouldn't call this a proper fix but it's done the job for me on my site.

If you wish the text to say Trending Content instead of Trending Posts please replace "
{xen:phrase avf_trending_posts}" with "Trending Content" (Without quotes.)

This will place Trending Content above all the other bits of the sidebar. I've tested this on 1.5.x and it seems to run without flaws.

@Stuart Wright I really hope you don't mind me posting this. Like said above if you wish me to remove please ask and I'll edit out this. Hopefully it can be added later on for those of us who don't want the Widget FrameWork. Also I've still been unable to get the NavTabs working. Could this be a bug? I've tried all my themes even default it just doesn't show.

Last edited:
Top Bottom