TMDb TV Thread Starter for XenForo 1.x [Deleted]

Please keep in mind this is not completed yet and is a work in progress.

There will be no need to change any of your existing threads. You can keep them exactly the way they are and continue to use the system as you are.

The new option gives you the option of dedicating a forum to a specific show. That is all that is being added.

And I would not suggest doing a new forum for every show that you have threads for. That will create a HUGE amount of forums and sub-forums on your site. IE: If you have 100 threads for tv shows, creating a forum for each of them will create 200 forums/subforums.

I'm curious now....

I want to do Family Guy, American Dad, The Cleveland Show as my main... then have the Seasons for each listed, and inside the seasons, the episodes of each.

I might have to rethink my strategy... This is all I am waiting on to start. Interesting to see the options this will have though.

And I would not suggest doing a new forum for every show that you have threads for. That will create a HUGE amount of forums and sub-forums on your site. IE: If you have 100 threads for tv shows, creating a forum for each of them will create 200 forums/subforums.
Will the option be available per forum? As in - some forums you could just have it start the thread, but in others you can start the subforum. At first this sounded great, now I'm not so sure.

Also, did you have a chance to look into the ability to make threads per episode? :)

I'm curious now....

I want to do Family Guy, American Dad, The Cleveland Show as my main... then have the Seasons for each listed, and inside the seasons, the episodes of each.

I might have to rethink my strategy... This is all I am waiting on to start. Interesting to see the options this will have though.
This is why when a developer asks what you're looking for, or how to display something, you give them all of the info. Not just an abbreviated version of what you want. ;)

As it stands now, you get a forum for the show where you can post anything you want (except episodes and other shows) and a sub forum where you can post all of the episodes for the show.

Will the option be available per forum? As in - some forums you could just have it start the thread, but in others you can start the subforum. At first this sounded great, now I'm not so sure.

Also, did you have a chance to look into the ability to make threads per episode? :)
I think you might be slightly confusing forums with threads. The option involves creating a forum for a show, not a thread.

Episodes would be allowed in the episode sub-forum only...

markuppage1.webp

markuppage2.webp

You won't get the ability to post episodes as threads anywhere else, except in these forums. They would be too disconnected from anything to allow that anywhere else.

Reactions: IPF
No, I'm not confusing them :) I was just asking if you had added the ability to use the addon to post new threads per episode (which was the request both @Sheldon and I asked for in the first place :) ) - Not convinced the addon adding a new subforum per tv show is really that practical - especially for a site that's solely about TV shows. We'd end up with a thousand subforums if we switched it on to add one for every tv show posted

That's why we've manually added the forum for the tv shows we want to split the discussions into episodes for - but have several forums for discussions about tv shows in general, which currently uses the addon for the threads.

No, I'm not confusing them :) I was just asking if you had added the ability to use the addon to post new threads per episode (which was the request both @Sheldon and I asked for in the first place :) ) - Not confvinced the addon adding a new subforum per tv show is really that practical - especially for a site that's solely about TV shows. We'd end up with a thousand subforums for every tv show.
Adding forums is the only way you can get the format that @Sheldon wants.

You can't have forums within threads. Or subthreads of threads. You can only have forums and subforums.

Adding forums is the only way you can get the format that Sheldon wants.

You can't have forums within threads. Or subthreads of threads. You can only have forums and subforums.
I think you've misunderstood what we asked.

All we want is the ability to start a thread for an episode - you can do it as a reply already. I'm no coder, so I don't know how difficult it would be. But whatever process you use for adding a reply linking to an episode - couldn't that be amended to be able to start a new thread using that function?

I think you've misunderstood what we asked.

All we want is the ability to start a thread for an episode - you can do it as a reply already. I'm no coder, so I don't know how difficult it would be. But whatever process you use for adding a reply linking to an episode - couldn't that be amended to be able to start a new thread using that function?
@Sheldon asked for this format..
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/tmdb-tv-thread-starter-paid.76427/#post-800712

The ability to post a thread for an episode would be contingent on having a forum dedicated to the TV show. Posting a TV show episode as a new thread anywhere else just wouldn't make sense.

The way the system is now, you start a thread about a TV show and you're allowed to post episodes from that show in the thread. Everything is nice and tidy in one place.

What you're asking for is the ability to randomly post episodes as new threads anywhere you want. That disconnects them from the TV show and if you think about it, that doesn't make much sense. You could have a forum filled with 1000 episodes from 1000 different TV shows.

@Sheldon asked for this format..
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/tmdb-tv-thread-starter-paid.76427/#post-800712

The ability to post a thread for an episode would be contingent on having a forum dedicated to the TV show. Posting a TV show episode as a new thread anywhere else just wouldn't make sense.

I'm fine with that. That's not what i was questioning :)

The way the system is now, you start a thread about a TV show and you're allowed to post episodes from that show in the thread.
Again, fine with that.

What you're asking for is the ability to randomly post episodes as new threads anywhere you want. That disconnects them from the TV show and if you think about it, that doesn't make much sense. You could have a forum filled with 1000 episodes from 1000 different TV shows.
No, I wasn't. I was just asking you to clarify that we could post specific episode-based threads, since I missed you mentioning that in the post you made.

I don't want to have a subforum for every tv show that's posted about - I do want to be able to use the addon to post threads about TV shows though, so as long as I can still use the addon to do that without it adding a subforum every time, but still also be able to use the ability to post episode-based threads in a designated area for specific shows, then I'm happy.

If, however, it's an all or nothing - then that's no good to me :)

Maybe this will make it a bit clearer.

In these forums I want to be able to post tv show threads (but not have a subforum for each show)
tvgeneral.webp

But in this section, I want to be able to post about specific episodes:-
tvspecific.webp

Will the addon be able to do that?

I don't want to have a subforum for every tv show that's posted about - I do want to be able to use the addon to post threads about TV shows though, so as long as I can still use the addon to do that without it adding a subforum every time, but still also be able to use the ability to post episode-based threads in a designated area for specific shows, then I'm happy.

If, however, it's an all or nothing - then that's no good to me :)
OK, I missed something then. Sorry about that. ;)

If I understand correctly now, two forums for each show are what you're concerned about. You would prefer one forum per show, correct?

Maybe this will make it a bit clearer.

In these forums I want to be able to post tv show threads (but not have a subforum for each show)
View attachment 79786

But in this section, I want to be able to post about specific episodes:-
View attachment 79787

Will the addon be able to do that?
The system would continue to work as it always has in the first picture.

What you show in the second picture is exactly what the new option does. It creates a new forum for the show, with a sub-forum for episodes. In the episode sub-forum, you would be able to start threads about episodes.

OK, I missed something then. Sorry about that. ;)

If I understand correctly now, two forums for each show are what you're concerned about. You would prefer one forum per show, correct?
LOL no :D

I think we're talking in circles. Looking at the screenshots you posted, I just wanted clarification that the section where you say "post episodes" that it meant it used the addon to pull specific episodes into a thread :) but that I can still use the addon in more generic tv forums without it making a subforum every time.

The system would continue to work as it always has in the first picture.

What you show in the second picture is exactly what the new option does. It creates a new forum for the show, with a sub-forum for episodes.
So, I would need to remove the existing forums I have in place that would want to use the new function and re-add them using the addon? (Sorry for all the confusion, it's school holidays here and you really need to dumb everything down for my poor kid-crazied brain :D)

LOL no :D

I think we're talking in circles. Looking at the screenshots you posted, I just wanted clarification that the section where you say "post episodes" that it meant it used the addon to pull specific episodes into a thread :) but that I can still use the addon in more generic tv forums without it making a subforum every time.
Yes, the 'post episodes' means it would pull in the episode information into new threads.

Yes, you can still use the more generic TV forums without a subforum every time.

Yes, the 'post episodes' means it would pull in the episode information into new threads.

Yes, you can still use the more generic TV forums without a subforum every time.
Then in that case, I still love you and your addon :D ;)

So, I would need to remove the existing forums I have in place that would want to use the new function and re-add them using the addon? (Sorry for all the confusion, it's school holidays here and you really need to dumb everything down for my poor kid-crazied brain :D)
You wouldn't need to do anything with your existing (current TV forums/threads).

If you have any forums that discuss individual TV shows, then I would create a new forum using the system and move all threads into the new forum before deleting the old forums.

My main concern IS that some lunatic is going to WANT to convert all of their TV show threads to forums. That raises a concern where if they have 1000 TV threads, they would end up with 2000 forums.

That is why there WILL NOT be a way to directly convert from threads to forums.

You wouldn't need to do anything with your existing (current TV forums/threads).

If you have any forums that discuss individual TV shows, then I would create a new forum using the system and move all threads into the new forum before deleting the old forums.
Yep, those were the forums I was referring to. Thanks :)

Top Bottom