TMDb Movie Thread Starter for XenForo 1.x [Deleted]

Don't suppose there's any chance of this being able to work with IMDB? It's probably very sad, but until this thread I'd never even heard of TMDb :D
The IMDb API when it works, is sketchy at best. And it's not supported by IMDb itself.

I've tried it and it's not a reliable option.

The IMDb API when it works, is sketchy at best. And it's not supported by IMDb itself.

not to mention info scrapping is not allowed and you have to pay a fee to gather information from their database. The ones out there are violating their terms of use.

not to mention info scrapping is not allowed and you have to pay a fee to gather information from their database. The ones out there are violating their terms of use.
That is simply not true...imdb offers all of it's data as datasets in txt format...as long as you don't make money directly off of that database and you are making a free offering of information for personal use than it is not a problem.

http://www.imdb.com/interfaces

Can I use IMDb data in my software?
Limited non-commercial use of IMDb data is allowed, provided the following conditions are met:

1. You agree to all the terms of our copyright/conditions of use statement.
    Please also note that IMDb reserves the right to withdraw permission to use the data at any time at our discretion.

2. The data must be taken only from the plain text data made available from our FTP sites (see alternative interfaces for more details and for links to our FTP servers). You may not use data mining, robots, screen scraping, or similar online data gathering and extraction tools on our website. If the information/data you want is not present in the data files available from our FTP sites, it means it's not available for non-commercial usage.

3. The data can only be used for personal and non-commercial use and must not be altered/republished/resold/repurposed to create any kind of online/offline database of movie information (except for individual personal use). Please refer to the copyright/license information enclosed in each file for further instructions and limitations on allowed usage.

4. You must acknowledge the source of the data by including the following statement:

Information courtesy of
    IMDb
    (http://www.imdb.com).

Please, let's not stray too far off topic here. A debate about IMDb isn't really relevant to this add-on. And the text version of their data isn't a viable option for most people.

That is simply not true...imdb offers all of it's data as datasets in txt format...as long as you don't make money directly off of that database and you are making a free offering of information for personal use than it is not a problem.

http://www.imdb.com/interfaces
Please, let's not stray too far off topic here. A debate about IMDb isn't really relevant to this add-on. And the text version of their data isn't a viable option for most people.

Wasn't my intention. And I'm happy to admit I was wrong :)

That's fine. It wasn't a dealbreaker (as evidenced by the fact I've already bought the addon :D), I was just curious more than anything else.

There's been an update today. Everyone that purchased the mod should check their PayPal email for the update.

Version 1.0.1 fixes an error when a duplicate movie is posted. And, it adds support for any ISO-639-1 language.

List of ISO 639-1 codes

I just installed that mod on XF 1.1.5 and see no problems...

test1.webp test2.webp test3.webp

What version of XF are you running?

And I have to ask. Who's site are you working on? I have no record of you purchasing this mod.

Last edited:
I just installed that mod on XF 1.1.5 and see no problems...

View attachment 53671 View attachment 53672 View attachment 53673

What version of XF are you running?

And I have to ask. Who's site are you working on? I have no record of you purchasing this mod.

I am working on a legit site, purchased this AM I think. It's not for me to say who's site I am on using it, that is up to them (or can be done via PM).

The site is running on xF 1.2

I am working on a legit site, purchased this AM I think. It's not for me to say who's site I am on using it, that is up to them (or can be done via PM).

The site is running on xF 1.2
No problem, I know who it is and I think you two did this to me once before. ;)

I see the problem in 1.2. but not in 1.1.5.

Also, it seems that once a draft is saved, even when you do post the thread, that draft shows up for the next movie added.

Also, it seems that once a draft is saved, even when you do post the thread, that draft shows up for the next movie added.
Thanks for finding that.

I'll be releasing an update within the next couple of hours.

It fixes the problem with Waindigo's Last Post Avatar in other forum lists, but will not display the last post avatar in the movie thread list. This is because the movie system uses it's own template for the thread list. If Waindigo continued to display the last post avatar the way he was in 1.1.5 it would still work with 1.2.0 and the movie system. Instead, he chose to use the new template modifications system which locked his mod into only working with standard XF templates. His mod will not work with custom templates.

It also fixes the draft problem.

Let me explain myself a little bit...

The way I see the new template modification system is that it should be used when a mod needs hard coded changes to templates. For example when a mod says 'Edit this template with these changes' or it won't work.

Waindigo's changes are 'Soft' changes. He wasn't requiring any template edits. He was doing a preg_replace which would work universally should any custom template be used, provided the custom template contained exactly what he's replacing. Which, in the case of the movie system, the template does contain what he's replacing.

This is all proven out by the fact the two mods play well together in 1.1.5, but not in 1.2.0.

And I hope Waindigo is a he. I'm making a poor assumption. :D

Last edited:
Only thing that's missing is a way for members to rate the movie 1 to 5 stars. Are the thumbnails resizeable?

Only thing that's missing is a way for members to rate the movie 1 to 5 stars. Are the thumbnails resizeable?
I was just thinking about adding that this morning. No promises on when it will be done though.

No, the covers come down in one size from TMDB and they are displayed in that size. I'll look into what other sizes (if any) are available.

I was just thinking about adding that this morning. No promises on when it will be done though.

No, the covers come down in one size from TMDB and they are displayed in that size. I'll look into what other sizes (if any) are available.
Oh okay. Yeah I was just wondering if they were resizable through like a CSS edit or something.

About ratings, maybe it would be better off as a different addon because what if we wanted to rate music albums?

and if you do end up adding ratings would you allow it to use metadata so that google can show the rating in search results listings?

Top Bottom