Social Groups (XenForo 2.x.x)

Social Groups (XenForo 2.x.x) [Paid] 3.6.1

No permission to buy ($50.00)
@truonglv ,

regarding discussion groups in general, facebook and others demonstrate, that nearly half of them are related to local places, cities, companies or other topics related to a physical location. It is quite difficult and uncomfortable for visitors to find groups in their vicinity in such location-dependent groups. Given that over 50% of all visitors visit websites with their mobile phones or tablets, this is a huge factor and literally a decision criterion for them (and a purchase criterion for your add-on) as to whether visitors use the group feature - or not.

I catched fire by the idea of an implementation, Bob already did with one of his add-ons. Since social groups already support the Google API, a similar implementation should be possible for you without bigger problems. I've created a few mockups that explain the function better.

SG general options has the Google-Api key already included. This can be used - on a per category basis - to activate geolocation in this and show a category map above the group-listing in that particular category:

This category setting activates the adress search when creating a new group in this category:

And the result in that category_view would look like this:

I guess, the result would speak for itself - or? ;)

Last edited:
And please add a confirmation notice, so a user who has hit the "join group" button receives a feedback, that the system has counted the request. By now the user only becomes forwarded to the group overview - that´s bad and leaves them irritated.

Another issue found: when a user has been invited into a group where joining users have to be moderated by the group settings, those invited users bypass the moderation and instantly become added to the group with full read & write access. This is a serious privacy issue and I´ld like to urge you to fix this.

truonglv updated [tl] Social Groups with a new update entry:

Notable Changes:
  • Added confirmation when asking to join group
  • Support CLI rebuild data. All cli are prefixed by: tlg-*
  • Fixed moderated members always show
  • Improvement save member cache data
  • Fixed set null entity which cause an exception
  • Show cancel requesting join group which make easy to cancelling.
  • Invited member are no longer consider as valid member.
  • Added missing some templates.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Can you tell anything about the category maps suggestion? From my point of view a must-have, since it´s almost a game changer for your SG.

@truonglv such a great addon, I love it!

So I'm running XF2.1 and have been for a while.

One thing I just noticed today, I am not receiving any notifications for when users request to join groups anymore. At one point I was, now I'm not.

I'm not sure when this happened, and am running the latest version of your software/and XenForo.

Any ideas on this or anyone else notice this happening to them?

This add-on looks like something that may fit the bill of what I am looking to create. I do have one question, and I apologize if this has been asked/answered, but i didn't find it. With the ability to create forums/sub forums in the groups, is there a way to limit how many you can allow a group admin/mod to create?

This add-on looks like something that may fit the bill of what I am looking to create. I do have one question, and I apologize if this has been asked/answered, but i didn't find it. With the ability to create forums/sub forums in the groups, is there a way to limit how many you can allow a group admin/mod to create?
Yes. It's limited through add-on options.

v2.0.5

Notable Changes:
  • Fixed delete event issues
  • Fixed event list not sorted
  • Fixed option format node title are not worked
  • Fixed pagination (top) in category view are rendered incorrect links
  • [New] Support sort categories in ACP
  • [New] Support stick posts in news feed
  • [New] Support event registration
  • [New] Support countdown to opening and closing event
  • [Update] The variable in option format node title are changed. You may update to the latest version.
  • [Update]...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Notable changes:
  • Show group stats in group card
  • Support inline-mod group members
  • [Fix] Ensure rebuild event description when it's does not exists
  • [Fix] Fixed event without description bring type error
  • [Fix] Fixed reactions on comment does not show
  • [Fix] Fixed N+1 query in home page
  • Support more widget options
  • Support intend event alerts