The Survivalist Zone

TPerry

I've started a new forum up called Survivalist Zone.

Most would think it's a "Doomsday Prepper" type site, but it's not only targeted at that. It is really for those that spend a lot of time outdoors and also for those that believe in being prepared for any type of disaster (man made, natural, etc.) and wish to discuss their ideas and viewpoints.

It's light on content right now (needless to say since it's only been in existence for 2 days). I'm using @Audentio's UI.X/Quark combo, and in keeping with the minimalist survivalist nature of the site there is not a lot of customization done to it. As time goes on will probably do some slight customizing that fits more in line with the niche, but not a lot.

I'm in the process of installing @Chris D's excellent gallery on the site with user albums enabled.

I've started a new forum up called Survivalist Zone.

Most would think it's a "Doomsday Prepper" type site, but it's not only targeted at that. It is really for those that spend a lot of time outdoors and also for those that believe in being prepared for any type of disaster (man made, natural, etc.) and wish to discuss their ideas and viewpoints.

It's light on content right now (needless to say since it's only been in existence for 2 days). I'm using @Audentio's UI.X/Quark combo, and in keeping with the minimalist survivalist nature of the site there is not a lot of customization done to it. As time goes on will probably do some slight customizing that fits more in line with the niche, but not a lot.

I'm in the process of installing @Chris D's excellent gallery on the site with user albums enabled.

Hi Tracy - I am not the huge outdoors guy but I do spend my fair share fishing, camping, hunting, etc. To me the dark theme just doesn't go with the niche. If I was to visit that site by accident, I would have not a clue what it was about without browsing content.

The background reminds me more of a video game. What about having a mixed image in the background more geared towards your overall theme. First aid kits, hunting bows, storm cellars/bunkers, etc.

Enhancing the logo is a great way to tie in your niche.

Enhanced logo ideas of the word: "Survivalist"
  • Medical Cross for the T
  • Small campfire
  • large hunting knife as the I
  • Tree with "survival" carved into it
I am sure you have lots of experience in administration. I am just trying to find ways to enhance a very dark theme.

Hi Tracy - I am not the huge outdoors guy but I do spend my fair share fishing, camping, hunting, etc. To me the dark theme just doesn't go with the niche. If I was to visit that site by accident, I would have not a clue what it was about without browsing content.
The survivalist lifestyle involves a little more than just the hunting/camping aspect of it. The planning stages are also vital.
I'm still in the process of trying to find a good style for it. I'm looking at some from Pixelexit and some more of Audentio's stuff.

The background reminds me more of a video game. What about having a mixed image in the background more geared towards your overall theme. First aid kits, hunting bows, storm cellars/bunkers, etc.
Yeah, it's kind of hard to find a "good" photo of a destroyed city nowadays.
I'll have to play with some and see if I can come up something that looks decent.

Enhanced logo ideas of the word: "Survivalist"
  • Medical Cross for the T
  • Small campfire
  • large hunting knife as the I
  • Tree with "survival" carved into it
I am sure you have lots of experience in administration. I am just trying to find ways to enhance a very dark theme.
I had already looked at using the caduceus for replacement of the "T", or a tornado for the V's... just haven't found anything I really like yet.

The biggest problem is going to be settling on the style that I like.
Thanks for the feedback!

Top Bottom