[TH] Topics [Deleted]

You aren't missing anything. The answer is no, this isn't a feature that is supported on Topics.
It would be handy. However, I will say that once I remembered that you can't apply additional Topics to any nodes they aren't associated with - which I don't want to do because I don't want them all moved to the same node(s) - then I realized it would would be of limited use anyway. I have to keep reminding myself that assigning topics isn't as easy as assigning prefixes!

On an unrelated note, it would be great if at some point someone on the team could look into making Topics compatible with Xon's Prefix Essentials addon. Thanks.

It would be handy. However, I will say that once I remembered that you can't apply additional Topics to any nodes they aren't associated with - which I don't want to do because I don't want them all moved to the same node(s) - then I realized it would would be of limited use anyway. I have to keep reminding myself that assigning topics isn't as easy as assigning prefixes!

On an unrelated note, it would be great if at some point someone on the team could look into making Topics compatible with Xon's Prefix Essentials addon. Thanks.
We would suggest that people use Topics or Prefixes but not both. What specifically doesn't work with Xon's Prefix Essentials? I'd be glad to report it on our issue tracker so that we can send out a fix soon.

Okay, sorry for the run around, I should have been checking the error log instead of being so focused elsewhere. I found the culprit. It's a conflict with Stuart Wright's addon here:

Hopefully you guys can touch base on whatever the problem is. Here's some errors generated:

• LogicException: Macro public:whats_new_posts :: filter_bar() error: Macro argument threadPrefixes is required and no value was provided
  • src/XF/Template/Templater.php:769
Stack trace

#0 internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s48/public/whats_new_posts.php(48): XF\Template\Templater->mergeMacroArguments(Array, Array, Array)
#1 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(663): XF\Template\Templater->{closure}(Object(KL\UserImprovements\Template\Templater), Array, Array)
#2 internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s48/public/thtopics_whats_new_threads.php(100): XF\Template\Templater->callMacro('whats_new_posts', 'filter_bar', Array, Array)
#3 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(1250): XF\Template\Templater->{closure}(Object(KL\UserImprovements\Template\Templater), Array)
#4 src/XF/Template/Template.php(24): XF\Template\Templater->renderTemplate('thtopics_whats_...', Array)
#5 src/XF/Mvc/Renderer/Html.php(48): XF\Template\Template->render()
#6 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(332): XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html->renderView('ThemeHouse\\Topi...', 'public:thtopics...', Array)
#7 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(303): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->renderView(Object(XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html), Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View))
#8 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(44): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->render(Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View), 'html')
#9 src/XF/App.php(1931): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#10 src/XF.php(329): XF\App->run()
#11 index.php(13): XF::runApp('XF\\Pub\\App')
#12 {main}

Request state
array(4) {
["url"] => string(25) "/whats-new/threads/23930/"
["referrer"] => string(32) "https:....whats-new/"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}

As soon as I disable that addon, your widget appears on New Threads.

One other thing I've noticed, though, is that with Topics enabled New Threads don't display the forum/node they were posted in. They do where I have New Thread widgets on sidebars, but not in What's New or on my homepage, where I use the New Threads widget to display them on the page. As soon as I disable Topics, they reappear. Is this normal?
We would suggest that people use Topics or Prefixes but not both. What specifically doesn't work with Xon's Prefix Essentials? I'd be glad to report it on our issue tracker so that we can send out a fix soon.

Quoted myself to begin with, from back in December. In addition to all that, I've noticed that you also can't set forum home page to new posts or new threads. If you try, you end up with this:

Fatal error: Access level to AVForums\PrefixEssentials\XF\FindNew\Thread::applyFilters() must be public (as in class ThemeHouse\Topics\XF\FindNew\Thread) in /home/.../public_html/src/addons/AVForums/PrefixEssentials/XF/FindNew/Thread.php on line 0

Also, interesting that you should say that about prefixes, since I know Mike mentioned not long ago the possibility of adding prefix functionality to the addon. ;)

Quoted myself to begin with, from back in December. In addition to all that, I've noticed that you also can't set forum home page to new posts or new threads. If you try, you end up with this:

Fatal error: Access level to AVForums\PrefixEssentials\XF\FindNew\Thread::applyFilters() must be public (as in class ThemeHouse\Topics\XF\FindNew\Thread) in /home/.../public_html/src/addons/AVForums/PrefixEssentials/XF/FindNew/Thread.php on line 0

Also, interesting that you should say that about prefixes, since I know Mike mentioned not long ago the possibility of adding prefix functionality to the addon. ;)
This error was reported and fixed in the latest update. As far as what was said about prefixes, would it have related to a prefixes importer?

How is the server load on a big board with this plugin?
Let's say some topic matching 100,000 threads, what happens when the user clicks on the topic?
Is it using the xenforo default search system and pagination?

Is it using the xenforo default search system and pagination?

It is not using XenForos search system. A search is a very costly operation, as it runs a full-text analysis on all objects in the search index. In fact the XenForo search is probably the most expensive operation a user can trigger. Filtering by a topic is as expensive as filtering by a prefix or by a forum node. And pagination doesn't have any effect on page performance.

Hi, I noticed you were selecting the first topic user select to assign the forum which thread going to be posted.
Some users might select the subtopic first and it will end up in the totally unrelated forum.

Ex..
Thread: Apple iphone 11 Released.
User selects the NEWS topic first then select PHONE topic.
Thread end up in NEWS forum which should be in PHONE forum.

Is there a way to force people to first select the main topic and then subtopics.
I suggest when you click on new thread first show the main topics which lead to forums and then show the sub topics in the poist thread button.

I know if you go to the desired forum and select new thread then it will appear in that forum. But users should be able post to correct forum from the homepage. Even default xenforo has that.

Posting to the wrong forum give wrong permissions/reaction points etc.. to thread owner which mostly based on forums.

Hi, I noticed you were selecting the first topic user select to assign the forum which thread going to be posted.
Some users might select the subtopic first and it will end up in the totally unrelated forum.

Ex..

Is there a way to force people to first select the main topic and then subtopics.
I suggest when you click on new thread first show the main topics which lead to forums and then show the sub topics in the poist thread button.

I know if you go to the desired forum and select new thread then it will appear in that forum. But users should be able post to correct forum from the homepage. Even default xenforo has that.

Posting to the wrong forum give wrong permissions/reaction points etc.. to thread owner which mostly based on forums.
Have you looked into the Topic Group function within Topics? This might be what you are looking for.

Ex..

The only thing you can do is to not assign a topic to a forum. That way it will never be able to be selected as the first topic. You may have to change some of your forums around to make this work.

So I've been working on converting my site over the XF2 and UI.X Pro and Topics doesn't seem to work as I thought it would. I understand the concept of filtering an overall view, like All Threads etc but I also thought that threads appear in multiple places aka multiple nodes? If I assign a main topic and a sub topic, that sub topic being associated with another node, it doesn't appear in both nodes? It seemed that was the whole concept of this addon.

Also there doesn't seem to be any way to add a specific Topic to all threads in a specific Node. I can't use moderation function to Change Topics either because it wipes out the existing topics on a thread, replacing it with what you select rather than adding a Topic to the thread. Since there's 1000's of threads all with different topics with that node, that would be disastrous.

So I've been working on converting my site over the XF2 and UI.X Pro and Topics doesn't seem to work as I thought it would. I understand the concept of filtering an overall view, like All Threads etc but I also thought that threads appear in multiple places aka multiple nodes? If I assign a main topic and a sub topic, that sub topic being associated with another node, it doesn't appear in both nodes? It seemed that was the whole concept of this addon.
You probably want to think of Thread Topics in terms of making Nodes redundant, so All Threads etc. become the main way of finding content.

Also there doesn't seem to be any way to add a specific Topic to all threads in a specific Node. I can't use moderation function to Change Topics either because it wipes out the existing topics on a thread, replacing it with what you select rather than adding a Topic to the thread. Since there's 1000's of threads all with different topics with that node, that would be disastrous.
There are some tools for doing this in the Admin Control Panel.

Ah I see, I didn't look in the dropdown for batch moderation sorry. Thank you.
You can add Topics that way, but unless they belong to a group you won't be able to add them to any other nodes that already have one or more Topics. Topics have to be in a group in order to add them as "additional" Topics to threads, and of course if you put them in a group then any threads you add those Topics to will be moved (whether you want them to or not.) With that in mind, you can add multiple Topics to threads by editing these Options: "Maximum number of thread topics selectable from same group" and "Maximum additional thread topics." Think I got that all right. :unsure:

You can add Topics that way, but unless they belong to a group you won't be able to add them to any other nodes that already have one or more Topics. Topics have to be in a group in order to add them as "additional" Topics to threads, and of course if you put them in a group then any threads you add those Topics to will be moved (whether you want them to or not.) With that in mind, you can add multiple Topics to threads by editing these Options: "Maximum number of thread topics selectable from same group" and "Maximum additional thread topics." Think I got that all right. :unsure:
Yeah they're all in a group for a particular node. I was hoping to take the concept of 6 different forums into a single forum and topics instead, since they're all sub-topics of a single overall topic. There's serious flaws to this system though when still using the concept of nodes, which is a real shame. I only just went live and users are having a very hard time with the concept whilst trying to use the forum as a "forum" still.

It gets worse when the topics are placed into a topic container for organization, just like their demonstration config. If the same node has the "master" topic on all threads, then all the threads are also broken up into other topics which are under the main topic in the selection tree, you have to select the main topic first to open it up, which just shows all the threads anyway. Resulting in selecting a sub-topic then unselecting the main topic...

Is there a way to only have the Topic filter list display topics that are contained within the node being viewed? It doesn't make sense that the entire list of topics is there when viewing a particular node when only a few topics are being used within.

Is there a way to only have the Topic filter list display topics that are contained within the node being viewed? It doesn't make sense that the entire list of topics is there when viewing a particular node when only a few topics are being used within.
Have you tried changing the Topics Type to follow Node Topics instead of the Default option within the Thread Topics widget? More is explained here. If that isn't what you are looking for then this is something we'd have to look into adding at a later.

Top Bottom