[TH] Sub-Accounts [Deleted]

Sure! There were actually two different usergroup issues, and the fix addressed one of them as far as I could tell.

The other one is related to this setting:
200b952a18a12452bcddf3514c08973b.png

After setting that configuration, I rebuilt the user caches, but none of the subaccounts were assigned the Character Usergroup. I created a brand new subaccount as well, and it also was not given the Character usergroup.

However, the usergroup inheritance from the parent account is working fine now.
Alright I'll take a look!

Sure! There were actually two different usergroup issues, and the fix addressed one of them as far as I could tell.

The other one is related to this setting:
200b952a18a12452bcddf3514c08973b.png

After setting that configuration, I rebuilt the user caches, but none of the subaccounts were assigned the Character Usergroup. I created a brand new subaccount as well, and it also was not given the Character usergroup.

However, the usergroup inheritance from the parent account is working fine now.
Hey do you have 'Sub-account inherits user groups from parent' enabled, since enabling that fixes the issue :)

Okay, I tried enabling that and now subaccounts are given the correct usergroup.

However, it doesn't seem to make sense to have the "parent usergroup inheritance" control a setting that has nothing to do with inheriting the parent account's usergroup. I don't want my subaccounts to inherit the parent's usergroup. I just want all subaccounts to automatically be given the usergroup.

Right now this is the only way to make it work the way it looks like it's supposed to, which isn't very intuitive:
a09a00a48b5700453e1682d44b21b240.png

It works at least. But if you're looking for improvements, I'd just recommend detangling that setting from the parent inheritance, because it doesn't look like the two settings are connected at all and I feel like they aren't supposed to be connected.

Okay, I tried enabling that and now subaccounts are given the correct usergroup.

However, it doesn't seem to make sense to have the "parent usergroup inheritance" control a setting that has nothing to do with inheriting the parent account's usergroup. I don't want my subaccounts to inherit the parent's usergroup. I just want all subaccounts to automatically be given the usergroup.

Right now this is the only way to make it work the way it looks like it's supposed to, which isn't very intuitive:
a09a00a48b5700453e1682d44b21b240.png

It works at least. But if you're looking for improvements, I'd just recommend detangling that setting from the parent inheritance, because it doesn't look like the two settings are connected at all and I feel like they aren't supposed to be connected.
Yeah I'll separate them! Other than that though is there anything else that needs to be fixed or improved on?

So, I'm currently running a fairly old Xenforo (1.4.10) with the old Waindigo sub-account addon.

If I upgrade to 1.5, and replace that addon with this addon, will it work? Will everything be destroyed? Is there a migration path?

So, I'm currently running a fairly old Xenforo (1.4.10) with the old Waindigo sub-account addon.

If I upgrade to 1.5, and replace that addon with this addon, will it work? Will everything be destroyed? Is there a migration path?
You can use [TH] Install and Upgrade to upgrade to this version, and it will keep all of your previous sub accounts.

Install and Upgrade couldn't do that, apparently. It failed out with a claim that ThemeHouse_SubAccounts_Listener_FileHealthCheck was an invalid class. After some study, I tried copying the files from upload/* into library, and that allowed the upgrade to... explode in flames, because it left the old one still installed, and then they were both adding the same clauses to requests, so all mysql things broke. I nuked the ThemeHouse/Subaccounts files, and it was back to working, so I thought I'd follow the *other* instructions and delete the old one, then install the new one... As you might expect, that wiped out all subaccount data. Whee.

It may be that I was missing something, or needed to be on newer xenforo, for install and upgrade to work with the subaccount thing?

... apparently, install-and-upgrade works better on the .zip file than on the xml file. Well, useful thing to have learned.

So, yeah, on further study: It appears that if I follow the instructions for the addon (unzip it in xenforo directory), and hand the .xml file to Install and Upgrade, it does not do what is expected.

Also I should probably have been more clear on how to access previous states of the system, but oh well. I can reattach subaccounts to parent accounts, I guess. The "delete the other addon and install this one" language caused me to think that the process of doing it that way would not be destructive.

Okay, not related to this addon, but I'd just like to point out that this was a suboptimal time to discover that the NAS we've been using for backups appears to be corrupting files.

I noticed that the alerts at the top of the account switcher aren't showing the cumulative # of alerts from subaccounts anymore. It only shows 1 no matter how many you have.
cf836a24444b8800e53074e689d621fd.png

My members began noticing a bug a few days ago, and I believe it started after I upgraded from the Waindigo version to the current version of subaccounts. The error goes away when I disable the sub-accounts add-on.

When they attempt to send a PM to select accounts (I don't see a pattern yet, accept they're all parent accounts, but not all of the parent accounts), they get this error:
screenshoterror.png

Interestingly, that exact message is why I just popped over to this thread. A user who had several sub-accounts asked me to merge/delete some of them. So I merged several subaccounts into a single account. All the obvious stuff looks fine; parent account lists exactly one subaccount, subaccount lists parent account, and so on. But I can't send PMs to the user, getting that exact error message, which makes no sense at all. No errors being logged.

I was trading messages with the user five minutes earlier, so it's new since I merged the subaccounts.

UPDATE: Looking at change history, I see the problem. The subaccounts didn't get removed from the parent's "subaccount user IDs" list. So any attempt to interact with the account causes the server to throw weird errors as it tries to look up the accounts with those IDs. But nothing I can get at from here will fix that, because deleting or adding subaccount names doesn't purge dead IDs, it just alters the IDs of still-existing accounts.

EDIT: update xf_user set subaccount_user_ids = "x" where user_id = y;

For suitable x and y, where "x" is the one undeleted subaccount, and y is the user's main account ID, this fixed it.

Last edited:
I'm running into the same problem that Gossamer is. :( Is there any fix to this?
I'd recommend opening a ticket with them. It's what I had to do.

Basically, my issues were caused by using the [TH] Install and Upgrade as instructed to upgrade from Waindigo's version to the new TH version of sub-accounts. This did not work, and broke my forum. I gave TH access to my board and they fixed the problem somehow.

Top Bottom