[TH] Post Comments [Deleted]

Nice addon :) Quality content as always from Themehouse!

Even though I absolutely hate nested replies. :p
Personally I find that it depends on your niche. I find larger sites often prefer nested comments as threads can get off topic so easily and you're just a swamp of replies where everyone is having their own conversation.

Its really personal preference, but this was one of the add-ons a lot of big boards requested so we made it a product. Its actually not that easy to build into XenForo truth be told!

Personally I find that it depends on your niche. I find larger sites often prefer nested comments as threads can get off topic so easily and you're just a swamp of replies where everyone is having their own conversation.

Its really personal preference, but this was one of the add-ons a lot of big boards requested so we made it a product. Its actually not that easy to build into XenForo truth be told!

I guess that is a fair point :)
Yeah I can imagine, good job!

Now.. When is there a new, dark and fancy gaming theme coming already... ;)

Looks great although I would love to see a option for "auto expanding comments" instead of having a link button that expands them and to top it off it would be useful if there was a way to convert posts manually. It could be a interesting concept if it could be converted automatically though as in turning quoted posts into post comments.

Last edited:
This looks interesting. Based on the screenshots and description, I can't tell, though: can this be enabled or disabled by node?

Ha well, I don't have a strong opinion other than there is a reason just about every top platform uses this format. Facebook and Reddit specifically. I'm sure the engineers and sociologists there had reason.

This is a perfect addon. Normal forum threads are so complicated to most new users now. They are used to this FB style.
1. How this handle multi quotes?
2. All my existing threads will display like this or only the new ones?
3. Any demo link?

Agreed with Mike, I am having Xenforo 1.5 forum and I am going to use this addon when I upgrade to XF2 soon.

This is a perfect addon. Normal forum threads are so complicated to most new users now. They are used to this FB style.
1. How this handle multi quotes?
2. All my existing threads will display like this or only the new ones?
3. Any demo link?
I have same questions in the case I want to buy this addon for my forum.

Do you have any large forums using this that we can go check out? Thinking this might be good for me.
I knew one using comments for their posts, you can have a look on this forum although it is not a big board though.

Facebook and Reddit specifically. I'm sure the engineers and sociologists there had reason.
They were real examples. :cool:

Ok, had to install this and see how it works.

By default, the comments are set to 1, with an option of 4. Really not sure what the best practice is here. I set it at 4 for now.

So, I have the add-on "alert improvements", authored by @Xon . Upon installing this comments addon, I was immediately hit with all sorts of errors that seemed to be a conflict with Xon's addon. In addition to that, I had other unexplained errors as well.

in addition to that, this made unread posts remain "unread" because when you click on the link to go to the last unread post, it just took you to some random spot in the thread. You could go to the last post of the thread, and the thread will still show up as unread because you failed to find wherever the comment was made I guess.

It's late, so disabling for now.

I have already installed the add-on, but there are several problems seriously affecting pages and posts. I am not sure but perhaps there is a possibility the add-on isn't working properly because of a conflict in the page. Anyway. Here I will try to show you with some examples.

The first one, if there are a lot of post (300-400) in a thread, or so, I mean there are 58 pages in a thread. However, page nav item displays 60 and you can only view 58. When click to 60, it redirects to 58 again. When click to last post in thread list, it redirects to 58 again. When click to the last post (or unread post, it doesn't matter) in new posts page, it redirects to 58 again and you can't see last post in thread. Interesting. As a result of this, Item Page Nav doesn't work properly. Meanwhile rebuild threads and post depth conflicts each other.

The second one, you should disable the full editor. Or you should add a simple editor, but without WYSIWYG. So, I mean comment editor can be as simple as a text editor like XenForo member profile post comment editor as you can see. I think you probably noticed that you can't use a WYSIWYG comment form on a Facebook post, Twitter, etc. You should know this, especially if you write about it "like social media sites".

And the third one, if you click the comment button on a post but if you give up, and will post a new comment to another post, you can't do this because you should click the close button. Or else you can't. As a result of this, if you didn't close the comment box, you cannot post a comment for another post. I feel like that is a big problem.

Just saw you posted this all in the thread here as well, so I'll copy the PM I sent below addressing each of the points:

The first one, if there are a lot of post (300-400) in a thread, or so, I mean there are 58 pages in a thread. However, page nav item displays 60 and you can only view 58. When click to 60, it redirects to 58 again. When click to last post in thread list, it redirects to 58 again. When click to the last post (or unread post, it doesn't matter) in new posts page, it redirects to 58 again and you can't see last post in thread. Interesting. As a result of this, Item Page Nav doesn't work properly. Meanwhile rebuild threads and post depth conflicts each other.

I don't believe you, or anyone else for that matter have reported this issue to us, which is why it hasn't been fixed. I've created an issue on GitHub for this: https://github.com/Audentio/xf2addon-issues/issues/996

The second one, you should disable the full editor. Or you should add a simple editor, but without WYSIWYG. So, I mean comment editor can be as simple as a text editor like XenForo member profile post comment editor as you can see.

Curious as to why you believe the WYSIWYG editor should be disabled on post comments. It gives you loads more control than your example of the profile post comments

I think you probably noticed that you can't use a WYSIWYG comment form on a Facebook post, Twitter, etc. You should know this, especially if you write about it "like social media sites".

To the best of my Knowledge Facebook/Twitter don't have WYSIWYG anywhere, so removing it for the sole reason of Facebook and Twitter not having it doesn't really make sense in this instance.

And the third one, if you click the comment button on a post but if you give up, and will post a new comment to another post, you can't do this because you should click the close button. Or else you can't. As a result of this, if you didn't close the comment box, you cannot post a comment for another post. I feel like that is a big problem.

This may be intentional to prevent someone from starting a comment on two different posts and accidentally losing one of them when they save, or even from a limitation in the editor being displayed multiple times on the page. I've created an issue on it for clarification from @Lukas W. as he did most of the work on this add-on: https://github.com/Audentio/xf2addon-issues/issues/997

Top Bottom