[TH] Post Comments [Deleted]

They'll turn into normal posts. You'll need to run the thread cache rebuild including positions and post counters, which will bring the posts into their normal order (sorted by post date).

When I enable this plug-in, I've observed that the Multiquote ("Quote") and Reply buttons on posts disappear. I believe that's expected behavior, but when I then disable the following option:

..the Quote and Reply buttons are still missing, meaning that it is no longer possible to directly reply to posts at all. Am I missing something? Do the other settings matter for the purposes of displaying the Quote/Reply buttons on posts?

EDIT: So I believe I've figured this out. If a user doesn't have the "Can comment on post" permission enabled, then the Quote/Reply links are removed as well as the Comment button. I would argue that this is a bug given that commenting has nothing to do with quoting a post, and a permission that explicitly controls 'commenting' should not affect quoting at all... but at least I know that you can ensure those options are presented.

Just to illustrate how this can inhibit use: I was hoping to test this add-on with my moderator team on an internal portion of my forum, before deciding whether or not to roll it out sidewide. However, given this bug, in order to do that I would have to remove the ability to reply or multi-quote for everyone else in my forum. Needless to say, that's not really acceptable.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Pud
Maybe there is an anwser for my question, i have not seen?
I would like to know
a) the old comments from TH Comments XF1 will be imported?
b) can i use the comments like before with ugp that only the poster and the commenter can see comments of a commenter?

When I enable this plug-in, I've observed that the Multiquote ("Quote") and Reply buttons on posts disappear. I believe that's expected behavior, but when I then disable the following option:

View attachment 202488

..the Quote and Reply buttons are still missing, meaning that it is no longer possible to directly reply to posts at all. Am I missing something? Do the other settings matter for the purposes of displaying the Quote/Reply buttons on posts?

EDIT: So I believe I've figured this out. If a user doesn't have the "Can comment on post" permission enabled, then the Quote/Reply links are removed as well as the Comment button. I would argue that this is a bug given that commenting has nothing to do with quoting a post, and a permission that explicitly controls 'commenting' should not affect quoting at all... but at least I know that you can ensure those options are presented.

Just to illustrate how this can inhibit use: I was hoping to test this add-on with my moderator team on an internal portion of my forum, before deciding whether or not to roll it out sidewide. However, given this bug, in order to do that I would have to remove the ability to reply or multi-quote for everyone else in my forum. Needless to say, that's not really acceptable.
I'll look deeper into this issue to see if there might be a reason for this behavior.
Maybe there is an anwser for my question, i have not seen?
I would like to know
a) the old comments from TH Comments XF1 will be imported?
b) can i use the comments like before with ugp that only the poster and the commenter can see comments of a commenter?
To answer both questions, no. But you do have the option to set the Can Comment on Post permission but everyone will still be able to see the comments started or those that were responded to by other users.

On our forum upgrade I'm really liking Post Comments, and more importantly, the members seem to be using them for their intended purpose most of the time. An issue I've found however is that if someone posts in a thread I own and thus have alerts on, it flags as unread. Clicking on the thread is taking me directly to the post comment (great!) but the thread remains in an unread state.

On our forum upgrade I'm really liking Post Comments, and more importantly, the members seem to be using them for their intended purpose most of the time. An issue I've found however is that if someone posts in a thread I own and thus have alerts on, it flags as unread. Clicking on the thread is taking me directly to the post comment (great!) but the thread remains in an unread state.
I'm able to replicate this as well, I'll get an issue created on it.

I'll look deeper into this issue to see if there might be a reason for this behavior.

To answer both questions, no. But you do have the option to set the Can Comment on Post permission but everyone will still be able to see the comments started or those that were responded to by other users.

I thought "Can Comment on Post" was a permission specific to this plug-in, but setting it to "No" removes the quote and multi-quote buttons, as well as the "Comment" link.

It would be nice to have a permission specific to this plug-in's functionality.

I thought "Can Comment on Post" was a permission specific to this plug-in, but setting it to "No" removes the quote and multi-quote buttons, as well as the "Comment" link.

That is correct.
I see this add-on allows daily to monthly communication, is there a way to make it communicate more frequently? Say hourly or even better, 15 minutes??
Did you mean to post this here or on Monetize? @leebo Just seen the same reply was posted on Monetize.

On our forum upgrade I'm really liking Post Comments, and more importantly, the members seem to be using them for their intended purpose most of the time.

@dknife what comment and hide depths have you implemented on your forum, if you don't mind my asking? We see the benefit of this plugin but worry about users not using them for their intended purpose, and/or burying dialogue/info relevant to the thread in comments.

That is correct.

That permission option is the only thing preventing a forum from controlling comment use by user/group/subforum/etc., without removing the ability to reply/quote for everyone else. I would strongly support such a enhancement and its absence is the only reason I haven't tried to test and use this add-on myself!

One of our users brought up a good option for this addon. If the post comment could generate an alert to the user but somehow not cause the thread to enter an unread state it would be a better experience. I'm not sure that's viable though considering how new posts work.
what comment and hide depths have you implemented on your forum, if you don't mind my asking? We see the benefit of this plugin but worry about users not using them for their intended purpose, and/or burying dialogue/info relevant to the thread in comments.
I have comment depth of 2 and hide depth of 1.

Is there maybe a problem with ugp comment and ugp to quote?
When i dont allow a user to comment, he also cant quote.

BTW: The most important function in the old addon was to comment and let it see only the post owner.
Without that it is like a second level post or a post as a tree like we had this in bulletin boards ten or more years ago.

Please add this function again. At least like it was.

Users always ask for a better solution, so a can comment the post of b, b can answer and only a and b can red this comments, while c can comment, b can answer c and again only b and c can read this comments.

To make it more complicated: poster b can comment on level 0 and all commenters can read all comments? Or again a tree ... :)

Is there maybe a problem with ugp comment and ugp to quote?
When i dont allow a user to comment, he also cant quote.

BTW: The most important function in the old addon was to comment and let it see only the post owner.
Without that it is like a second level post or a post as a tree like we had this in bulletin boards ten or more years ago.

Please add this function again. At least like it was.

Users always ask for a better solution, so a can comment the post of b, b can answer and only a and b can red this comments, while c can comment, b can answer c and again only b and c can read this comments.

To make it more complicated: poster b can comment on level 0 and all commenters can read all comments? Or again a tree ... :)
Quote a comment you mean?

I'll go ahead and add this suggestion to our issue tracker.

Last edited:
1. Try to allow comenting for admin, but not for users; then try to quote. Without ugp to comment, users cant quote. (I have not watched the TMS if there is anything else working, because there are more addons like change date, change username and things like that - (it is a clients test board, i dont have access if i am not there.)

2. I miss the really important function: only poster and commenter A can read the message of a commenter A.

3. To make things better for point 2, you need a tree: 1. comment from a commenter A, answered by poster, readable for that poster and that commenter A, but not for other commenters. // 2. comment from second commenter B ansered by poster is readable by second commenterB and poster again. A first comment from the poster itself is maybe readable by all commenters or none.

A comment system used like posts is nothing else than posts with another design.

You may want to check this addon in combination with AndyB's Change Date 2.2 and Batpool's Change Content.
The recalc of position in Change Date is not done, when your addon is activated.
I still fight with xdebug, but i have seen the you use a public function with the same name then XF in the context here.

Top Bottom