[TH] Post Comments [Deleted]

Hi Lucas, please tell me if the old function will come back soon.
If comments are only posts with another design/css i dont see any value for me.
I need to upgrade xf1 and it is not possible to show all the hidden comments to the public.
So this function should be implemented, please.

I really dont understand your politics here and with other issues.

There are users that have bought an addon, now we have a new forum version and you dont want to help these users.
How long you will need to implement this:

1. No nesting (level = 1)
2. If user_id = postuser_id show, else if usergroup is allowed to see, show, else dont show.

With some testing 60 minutes, 30, 15? 10?

I guess I don´t reveal a secret - but as far as it refers to @Eagle ´s and my suggestions, I´ve had a good conversation with Mike. The result is, that all those issues will be solved and included in an upcoming release. So everyone waiting on the sidelines - get in the mist of this and take advantage of the "cybermonday" voucher. The more we are, the more we can poke Themehouse ;) :ROFLMAO:
To be clear I don't know if we can get it to the next release exactly but your concerns are indeed valid. Just so I'm clear if anyone wants to summarize all key needed issues I'll see to it they get prioritized for the next release.
As requested by @Mike Creuzer , I´d added this aleady to github: https://github.com/Audentio/xf2addon-issues/issues/1208 . Mike, you wanted to priorize them, or?
That may be, but without a tree structure and collapse options the addon itself would make no sense at all. When I´d have to scroll over 15 completly unrelated or uninteresting comments each time, before I can - finally ! - read the next substantial post, guess what?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
, like the rest of my users ;)

@Mike Creuzer ,
remembering how we discussed this as a vital function? Was waiting all those months for it and now I suddenly received a mail from github the other minute, that this collapse/uncollapse-option has been flagged as not planned. Heck, what happend..?

Reactions: arn
this is a good plugin, but i stopped using it because when the threads get large, most people fail to goto page 2 or 3 and just stay on the 1st and keep expanding older comments.

This is disappointing. I can see how this would occur and it is no fault of the addon itself.

How does reddit handle this...infinite scrolling? Sadly, there is no paging on reddit comments. The best you can do is view individual comments and direct parents/children.

This is disappointing. I can see how this would occur and it is no fault of the addon itself.

How does reddit handle this...infinite scrolling? Sadly, there is no paging on reddit comments. The best you can do is view individual comments and direct parents/children.
Good example why collapsible comments are required.. But a pagination for comments would be another possible problem solver. Anyway, something should be introduced here.

Good example why collapsible comments are required.. But a pagination for comments would be another possible problem solver. Anyway, something should be introduced here.

Collapsing 'comments' to posts? Yes, I'd agree. Avoiding this actually creates a situation where the gap between post comments and the normal reply button is too big of a 'jump'.

Also, the quote, reply and comment functions are not intuitive in the vanilla xenforo form. Its too many weird things going on that don't explain themselves Reply is a quote and the quote feature actually confuses people. Even I know I'm supposed to click 'insert quotes' and am sometimes looking around trying to find it.

Every reply is a quotation and essentially duplicate content. If we could cut back on how many posts get duplicated in the form of the quote tag, that may actuall improve SEO. If you want to 'reply' to a comment AND reply line by line, it would be nice to have a comment 'slicer' where you can press a tool bar button to slice the quote in half at a specific spot in a rich text way so we can stop messing around with the quotation brackets.

Hello,

would this bee as an upgrade from "Post Comments 2.0.1" Addon from Xenforo 1.5.x when we upgrade to Xenforo 2.1.x ? Or can we import the old comments?

This whole add-on is just a template change for normal posts?
You have added new fields to xf_post and with them you trigger how the post should look?
Is this correct?

Just then this add-on is, i am sorry to say, a big disapointment. All old comments are not used anymore, the function that makes the old add-on worthful (to send fast and easy comments to an author without the needed clicks for a private conversation) is not useable with this.

This means also, that you take 35$ for two fields and a template change to show a post like a comment?

Wow!

Maybe there is more inside this add-on - i hope - if not, this is ... may someone else say or think the right word for that.

No, this add-on doesn't currently offer importing functionality.
If you really want it, you can import the old comments as posts with a small php. Probably you need to move the comments to posts and set some values in the xf_post.new_fields; should be no big story to do that.

Last edited:
This whole add-on is just a template change for normal posts?
You have added new fields to xf_post and with them you trigger how the post should look?
Is this correct?

Bn54SUm.png

If you define about 3.2k lines of code as "just a few template changes and new database fields", then probably yes, otherwise no.

End of the day you pay for design, development, optimization and support. Just because we found a smart way to implement something doesn't make it a trivial product. Whether you consider that worth it or not is up to you.

Name it like you want, need code like you want, there are customers, who have bought your comment add-on for xf1.

For these customers this add-on here is worth nothing, if they want to import the old comments and use the add-on like before.

Name it like you want, need code like you want, there are customers, who have bought your comment add-on for xf1.

For these customers this add-on here is worth nothing, if they want to import the old comments and use the add-on like before.

Unfortunately, the add-on was only ever downloaded by 21 unique users, and of those the domain for six of them point at a valid site, and three of which are using XenForo. In fact, otto is the first person to ask if we have any sort of importer and I'm assuming they're referring to *******'s add-on as ours doesn't have a version 2.0.1. Unfortunately it just isn't feasible for us to spend a dozen or so hours building an importer that just isn't going to be used for a $35 add-on. If you purchased this add-on and it truly isn't useful to you do feel free to make a ticket and we can look into options for you :)

Yeah I know its not always ideal, we try to have as many tools as we can possibly invest in. We do custom importers all the time so definitely something we can do. And typically if someone hires us to do it with their permission we'll release it here. Don't tell, but the cost of the license is just to limit support. :P Audentio used to be free themes 100% until we couldn't keep up with support and demand, fun fact. Thanks for understanding, hope we can be more helpful in the future.

It might evade some people, but skilled developers capable of 6 figure salaries generally don't produce inexpensive plug-ins just so they can get reamed online through a ticket system over 35 bucks by someone who can't even remember their own email password.

This addon is brilliant. I have been testing it on my forum. However, it did take a lot of css work to get it to look and function as needed.

The only thing that would be great is to remove that hard limit of 4 deep. It would be nice to set it to 10 or so. Is there a way to do so?

Thanks.

Reactions: arn
Top Bottom