[TH] NoForo [Deleted]

Could you somehow use this as the front, with say Bob's excellent Showcase Mod, and then have forums over there somewhere... so front end has no forum stuff, but looks and feels like a content driven web site, and then the forums are secondary, on the Nav though but still exist?

Wonderful idea to use Xenforo as the Guts of a site, I have long thought the guys should have developed that a bit further, so you had a core, and then all the cool whizz bang modules including the forums hanging off it.

think about having the "Resource Manager (XF RM)" showing at the Homepage....... and having a "Discussion-Tab" for each "Resource".

Whereby the "Resource Manager" could be anything like e.g. images, videos, etc.

Reactions: Kim
What's New Plus by Waindigo' add-on (that supports Library + NoForo) sounds interesting. As usual you don't bother to explain yourself up on the Olympian heights of a Lord of Code.
The existing what's new page is for threads and threads alone. There are some comments in the code that suggest that at some point in the future Kier/Mike might wish to make it not like that, but at the moment it is very much that. Unless I am completely mistaken, the existing What's New page does not inform you about new Pages, new Forums or new anything else. Only new threads.

My suggestion is that the What's New Plus add-on would delete the existing What's New page and create a completely new What's New page. Exactly what the page looks like would be up for discussion, but I would suggest something more like the search results page, since the search results page DOES allow for different types of contents.

From a technical point of view, it does this using a "search handler". To add library articles to search, I have created a search handler for library articles. Easy peasy. So, I would create a "what's new handler", and I would create what's new handlers for every content type that I wanted in what's new. So if you had Library, installed, you would have a library article what's new handler. The What's New Plus add-on would come with a handler for threads (and maybe one for pages, forums, etc.) included. However, if NoForo was installed (getting back on topic for a moment), the one for threads would be disabled.

Maybe ask Jon to make an Altforo which lets you select what appears on the front page - What's New, a gallery, a blog, the memberlist, some Notices, an addon like Showpiece, or a shop, or whatever. Hey Jon hope you had a NICE rest over midwinter!
AltForo is a nice idea. Had a couple of days off over Christmas/midwinter -- spent one of them making an add-on for you. Did you get it, because you haven't replied?

To be honest, it isn't all that difficult to set anything else as your home page.

I think you could use Jake's Route Changer add-on.

Something like:

showcase -> index
index -> forum

(Or some such combination).

That would in theory set showcase as your index, and it would set the current index (i.e. the forum home) to forum

I think I love you :love:

Now to try to track down where this mythical delight is hiding so I can check it out.

think about having the "Resource Manager (XF RM)" showing at the Homepage....... and having a "Discussion-Tab" for each "Resource".

Whereby the "Resource Manager" could be anything like e.g. images, videos, etc.

Yeah, that could work very well.. I know you know what I am trying to do!

I am using Bobster65's Showcase Add on, as it is awesome.. like Bobster! lol

Yeah, that could work very well.. I know you know what I am trying to do!

I am using Bobster65's Showcase Add on, as it is awesome.. like Bobster! lol

yeah I know exactly. :)

I have checked bobsters showcase at his website.... but was a bit confusing for me.
Maybe I should check again....

Jon I actually dont use Whats New? on my favourite board. I replaced it with that link that shows everything including read stuff so it never shows up as blank. Would want that ability on this too.
Perhaps it would be better to start up a new thread for this somewhere? This thread is getting to be as popular to hijack as the legal updates thread.

Have you got a list of everything that has been removed?

e.g. I assume things like database columns have been dropped. For example I tried to install a blogs add-on earlier. I was thinking that NoForo would be cool to strip out all of the forum stuff and bolt on something like a blog. I could see that being a popular application. But, unfortunately, when I tried to make a blog post I got an error regarding a missing message_count field.

I presume this means you've dropped that field from the xf_user column.

I suspect there's some things that might be worth keeping in. Is it necessary to drop an entire column from the backend, when you can just hide references to it in the front end?

Things like that might make this more compatible with add-ons.

Have you got a list of everything that has been removed?

e.g. I assume things like database columns have been dropped. For example I tried to install a blogs add-on earlier. I was thinking that NoForo would be cool to strip out all of the forum stuff and bolt on something like a blog. I could see that being a popular application. But, unfortunately, when I tried to make a blog post I got an error regarding a missing message_count field.

I presume this means you've dropped that field from the xf_user column.

I suspect there's some things that might be worth keeping in. Is it necessary to drop an entire column from the backend, when you can just hide references to it in the front end?

Things like that might make this more compatible with add-ons.
message_count is the only column I have removed from any table.

You say that I should just hide references, but if references are hidden, then there is no point having it. If this blog add-on uses it, then the references need to be un-hidden. Maybe it would be better if removing this column (and its references) was optional?

For other tables, I have either removed the entire table or just removed selected rows.

The full list is in library/Waindigo/NoForo/Option/NoForum (although should probably be in a Model really).

Maybe it being optional is the best thing.

You're right, there's no point in having it if you can't see it. But then, if it's a sake of making NoForo more compatible with other non-forum applications such as blogs then maybe it is worth it.

Or at least making it optional.

The message count still appears in the member card, by the way. With the field being dropped it's always 0.

so if it is not "Images" and "Nested Comments" ........ "what" are you guys putting onto the Homepage now ?

so if it is not "Images" and "Nested Comments" ........ "what" are you guys putting onto the Homepage now ?
For me? Nothing.

I've just installed it as a test and I really have no idea what to do with my XF install anymore other than testing.

I know I'm not going to be able to run a successful forum. I have no niche, nor do I really have any other ideas or time.

I did test a scenario earlier, though, where if you wanted no forum, you could install NoForo and then install the Route Changer add-on and pretty much any other non-forum related add-on (XenCarta, XenMedio, Gallery, Blogs, Showcase etc) and have them made into the index using the Route Changer?

at your demo-install, I saw there is still the wording "Forums" when you click onto the icon for the "quick navigation menu" at the breadcrumbs.......

Demo link requires a password. Am I blind this morning? :)
You will have to sign up to Chris's site to see it fully, but without logging in you can see that the Forums tab is gone and various other references to forums have gone.

Top Bottom