[TH] No Downtime [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon W

Waindigo submitted a new resource:

No Downtime by Waindigo (version 1.0.0) - No more blank pages when installing add-ons. Your site carries on as normal.

Description:

One of the most common annoyances of XenForo (there aren't many of them) is the blank pages that appear when you are installing or upgrading an add-on while the template cache is being rebuilt.

This add-on provides one solution to this problem. It copies all of the templates out of the database while the cache rebuilder is running so that the site can continue running as normal.

This does make the process take a bit longer, but there is no noticeable downtime on the...

Read more about this resource...

Thank you Waindingo!

...but I can't understand this:
It should also be noted that there may be the odd error if an upgrade to an add-on causes a bug when an old template is viewed. If you think this may be the case for a particular add-on, you can easily disable this add-on or temporarily close the site and provide a useful notice while you upgrade that specific add-on.
what do you mean with "the odd error"?

Thank you Waindingo!

...but I can't understand this:

what do you mean with "the odd error"?
I don't have a real life example. I'm just suggesting that this may be the case. As I point out, this is already a problem with the XenForo core and developers should try and avoid this happening, but sometimes it is unavoidable.

A pretend world example -- as part of the upgrade process of an add-on, the installer may rename a field in one of it's tables in the database. An old template might still refer to the old field name, so until the template has been rebuilt, an error will be produced on that page.

It should also be noted that errors may occur during the period between you uploading new files and running the upgrade script. Again, developers should avoid doing anything that is likely to cause a problem, but these things do happen.

Generally we are talking about a small possibility of small bugs on a small part of your site for a very small period of time.

Oh ok!
It's like I was thinking... it's only a limited temporally problem in a limited part of the site during the installation or upgrade. (y)

Oh ok!
It's like I was thinking... it's only a limited temporally problem in a limited part of the site during the installation or upgrade. (y)
I've re-worded it.
It should also be noted that there is a very small chance of an error appearing if an upgraded add-on is not backwards compatible with an old template that has not yet been rebuilt (although this would be the case anyway while phrases are being rebuilt, even without this add-on)
Is that better?

Where is the temporary templates saved ?
I am using File cache, should be nothing to worried?

Where is the temporary templates saved ?
I am using File cache, should be nothing to worries?
This add-on puts the files in exactly the same place as XenForo would put public template files if the following add-on option is enabled in the Performance options:
fetchpublictemplates.webp

I don't know much about file caches, but if you are using any of the caches mentioned in the description above, I suggest that you just enable the above option rather than installing this add-on.

This add-on puts the files in exactly the same place as XenForo would put public template files if the following add-on option is enabled in the Performance options:
View attachment 39261

I don't know much about file caches, but if you are using any of the caches mentioned in the description above, I suggest that you just enable the above option rather than installing this add-on.

(APC, eAccelerator, XCache etc.)
etc?
Is File Cache included on it ? :(

Will this add-on work together with Chris' HWS' maintenance screen add-on? I mean, in the rare cases this add-on doesn't work, I assume normally you'd get the white screen of death while the installation/upgrade runs, but if you have the maintenance screen add-on installed, then will the maintenance screen be displayed?

Btw, fantastic add-on! XF ought to hire you as a core developer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom