[TH] Giphy [Deleted]

Told me I'd be fine with using the non-prod key.
Just for the record, that's the message they sent:

Howdy!

We've reviewed your submission, and it has been marked as rejected.

Our reviewers made the following notes:

"You should be fine using the key provided to you initially without needing a production key."

If you have any questions, you can email us at: api@giphy.com

Thanks for using GIPHY!

- The GIPHY Team

Reactions: rdn
I'll try to comply this later this week.
Should already be compliant (check latest updates) as the "Powered by GIPHY" text is now shown in the modal window. I wonder, however, why I have received a different response than you.

They require some images for that, not just text like the one we have now from recent update.

Has anyone else ran into this addon simply no longer working?
The button is still there but it no longer loads gifs.

You need to press the three dots ... in the editor toolbar and GIPHY will be bottom option. Took me a while to find too.

Does anyone know how to move this outside of the 3 dot insert menu? I think it's one of those buttons that gets used a whole lot and it makes more sense having it immediately available.

Does anyone know how to move this outside of the 3 dot insert menu? I think it's one of those buttons that gets used a whole lot and it makes more sense having it immediately available.
If you are looking to move the Giphy button to the toolbar instead of being hidden within the three dot menu, take a look at the Editor & BB Code Manager add-on. We offer an FAQ that explains this in further detail.

Why doesn't the Insert Giphy button show up?

There are a few reasons this could happen:
  1. If you're running XenForo 2.1 we make a best effort to insert the button automatically, but if you upgrade to 2.1 from 2.0 after [TH] Giphy 2.0.2 is installed we're unable to automatically insert the button, so you'll need to do it manually in Content -> BB Code Button Manager
  2. If you haven't set your Giphy API key we intentionally hide the button
  3. If you've removed the "Insert..." dropdown the button will not be automatically inserted
For more information on setting up Giphy view our documentation.

We were able to request a production API key with the current implementation. Their documentation states that there must be a "Powered by GIPHY" attribution mark, which is what we add. I haven't seen anywhere that explicitly states you have to stick in an image somewhere it doesn't belong/fit

Or if you don't want to use an add-on for this simple task, use built-in functionality via /admin.php?button-manager/
Thanks @SeToY. I was able to quickly achieve this without requiring another addon. I was not aware of this feature, but then I haven't been paying attention to patch notes for a while! (I'm a bad admin!)

We were able to request a production API key with the current implementation. Their documentation states that there must be a "Powered by GIPHY" attribution mark, which is what we add. I haven't seen anywhere that explicitly states you have to stick in an image somewhere it doesn't belong/fit
But that's what I receive from them:

Can you please maybe add an option to choose between text or image attribution?

Q: What conditions does my app/project need to meet in order to get a production API Key?
A: Glad you asked! As per our section 5 A of our terms of service, we require all apps that use the GIPHY API to conspicuously display "Powered By GIPHY" attribution marks where the API is utilized. You can find approved official logo marks here. You may also be asked to provide screenshots or a video of your attribution placement during the application process.

Last edited:
Top Bottom