[TH] Friends [Deleted]

Has page output been tested/checked for slow queries?
Is there a public bug tracker available?
There currently is not a public bug tracker available.
The query has not been extensively tested, but initial reports show no slowdowns. I can post the entire query here if you want to do testing with the original addon :)

The "I know him personally" is a feature that is shown somewhere? I mean can others see that I know someone personally and where do I find it?

Summary of suggestions to make this add-on really usable and not just "cosmetic". #5, #6, #8 are new.
  1. Member View Sidebar: HTML markup of the two blocks "Friends" and "Mutual Friends" are not in conformity with "Following" and "Followers". That is especially true in UI.X Framework where the difference is even greater.
  2. Member View "Tools" Block: Where the "Moderator Tools" are: The "Friend" link is missing the "<li></li>" tag enclosure, thus shifting to the very start of the links instead of being next to the "Follow/Unfollow" link. To be in conformity with XF standard the "Friend" link should be in a "<li></li>" tag enclosure, also to keep the correct margins with CSS.
  3. Privacy Adjustment according to "Friends" and "Mutual Friends": Include the "mutual friends" in the privacy setting. Include the privacy setting in the backend ACP.
  4. Friends Adding Functionality: Now as soon as someone adds you, you get an alert "User XYZ added you as friend" and you are already listed in his "friends block". It would be better and more logical if you only appear on the friends list IF you confirm the friends request. Also, the alert should read: "User XYZ did send you a friend request – confirm or reject?" So you do not need to accept first and then remove him again.
  5. Add a "Friend List" with details. In member view add a "Friends" tab, where you can see a list of friend requests (sticky on top and hidden from thirds) and your accepted friends (visible to thirds via privacy setting). Add small buttons, namely "accept", "reject" and "unfriend" to each user in the list.
  6. Mark "personal" friends somehow. In the friend list that can be seen by users (according to privacy settings) include a visible checkmark/indicator for "personal".
  7. [Include "friends" and "mutual friends" privacy settings for XFMG Albums.] That is icing on the cake, not necessarily mandatory for this add-on of course.
  8. Increase the price of the add-on. Instead of making an add-on for 10.00 USD that is 50% usable, make it 30.00 or more USD and make it 100% useful. That is symptomatic for 90% of the add-ons here on XF.

Last edited:
Summary of suggestions to make this add-on really usable and not just "cosmetic". #5, #6, #8 are new.
  1. Member View Sidebar: HTML markup of the two blocks "Friends" and "Mutual Friends" are not in conformity with "Following" and "Followers". That is especially true in UI.X Framework where the difference is even greater.
  2. Member View "Tools" Block: Where the "Moderator Tools" are: The "Friend" link is missing the "<li></li>" tag enclosure, thus shifting to the very start of the links instead of being next to the "Follow/Unfollow" link. To be in conformity with XF standard the "Friend" link should be in a "<li></li>" tag enclosure, also to keep the correct margins with CSS.
  3. Privacy Adjustment according to "Friends" and "Mutual Friends": Include the "mutual friends" in the privacy setting. Include the privacy setting in the backend ACP.
  4. Friends Adding Functionality: Now as soon as someone adds you, you get an alert "User XYZ added you as friend" and you are already listed in his "friends block". It would be better and more logical if you only appear on the friends list IF you confirm the friends request. Also, the alert should read: "User XYZ did send you a friend request – confirm or reject?" So you do not need to accept first and then remove him again.
  5. Add a "Friend List" with details. In member view add a "Friends" tab, where you can see a list of friend requests (sticky on top and hidden from thirds) and your accepted friends (visible to thirds via privacy setting). Add small buttons, namely "accept", "reject" and "unfriend" to each user in the list.
  6. Mark "personal" friends somehow. In the friend list that can be seen by users (according to privacy settings) include a visible checkmark/indicator for "personal".
  7. [Include "friends" and "mutual friends" privacy settings for XFMG Albums.] That is icing on the cake, not necessarily mandatory for this add-on of course.
  8. Increase the price of the add-on. Instead of making an add-on for 10.00 USD that is 50% usable, make it 30.00 or more USD and make it 100% useful. That is symptomatic for 90% of the add-ons here on XF.
I'll look into this!

I hope you can, it has "potential"
I know we are planning on elaborating on this for 2.X for sure. The add-ons we inherited are getting less than ideal care in some situations just simply because of differences in coding quality/practices. They work as they used to and we fix tons of bugs on them. But I agree, this is one we may likely rebuild with a much larger scope.

Is there any way to get users by the count of their friends to another list of notable members?
And why nobody cares for the good ideas above?

Last edited:
@Dalton Prock @silence @Mike Creuzer
Can you do me ONE FAVOR: (just so I can actually use this add-on for which I bought a license):

"PENDING FRIEND REQUEST" on member_card and member_view Profile needs to be an active link to actually get to the "Friend" (confirmation) dialog. The add-on in this state only allows users to confirm request as recent "Alerts"... but when the alerts are gone because the user hasn't been online for a while, he has NO opportunity to confirm a friend request anymore... since the alert is gone... So the "Pending Friend Request" needs to be a LINK actually. By the way: it needs to have a CSS class or ID to be customizable. Put it at least into a <span class="thFriendsLink Pending"> or something please.

PS: I am not using XF2 for the next year or so... this is a showstopper.

Can you do me ONE FAVOR: (just so I can actually use this add-on for which I bought a license):

"PENDING FRIEND REQUEST" on member_card and member_view Profile needs to be an active link to actually get to the "Friend" (confirmation) dialog. The add-on in this state only allows users to confirm request as recent "Alerts"... but when the alerts are gone because the user hasn't been online for a while, he has NO opportunity to confirm a friend request anymore... since the alert is gone... So the "Pending Friend Request" needs to be a LINK actually. By the way: it needs to have a CSS class or ID to be customizable. Put it at least into a <span class="thFriendsLink Pending"> or something please.

Yeah I'll get this done in the next few days.

I'll be adding a class to the text but I'm wondering how a link would make sense for PENDING FRIEND REQUEST as it tells the person who sent the friend request that it is pending.

Tell me HOW do you approve a friend request when the user did not approve it immediately and he logs in a few days later and the alert is gone?

You would have to go to their profile or member card and where it usually says ADD FRIEND, it would say CONFIRM FRIEND REQUEST.

Top Bottom