[TH] Forum List Tabs [Deleted]

Hi Waindigo!
>>>For categories to have their own pages, you need to enable this in the Admin CP Options.
wish it didn't have to work this way! not what I want...
going back to what I said before....
>>>when I click on a category - to switch to it... and then enter a subforum in that category...
if next -- I click on the breadcrumb-bar to return to the category - this does NOT work -- and takes me to
the forums -- showing all categories -- and the one I click on -- is NOT what I've been placed into...
hmmmm.... help!

-----------------
Wish this would take me back to the main-forum-list // and properly select the appropriate TAB
as was clicked on in the breadcrumb bar...
Could you make this work?
Cheers - Raydianze

Please PM me if you would like to pay for support on this. As I said above, this is not something we will be officially supporting at the moment.

Solved the problem - by hand-coding it the way I want it to be - just with jquery... I now have it working the way I want -
and didn't need to use your addon... WELL -- at least you inspired me!
thanks!

Solved the problem - by hand-coding it the way I want it to be - just with jquery... I now have it working the way I want -
and didn't need to use your addon... WELL -- at least you inspired me!
thanks!
Great news. Will you be sharing your solution?

Yes. You just need to order your nodes so that whatever you want to be displayed by default is at the top of your node list.

When I saw this I thought my prayers had been answered however I am finding some shortcomings that would be great if they were incorporated.

1. When you click the breadcrumb to go back to the forum home page it doesn't remember what tab of forums you were viewing so you go back to the first tab
2. You can't double up on categories in a tab...for example say your site is about boating and you have:
- General category of forums
- Speed boat category of forums
- Sail boat category of forums
Speed boat people are not interested in sail boats and vice-a-versa so you want a tab showing:
- General category of forums
- Speed boat category of forums
and another tab showing
- General category of forums (again)
- Sail boat category of forums
The only way out is to have the General category of forums as a separate tab making users switch between the two
3. There isn't any way for a user coming to the site to see which forums have new posts...a red indicator of the number of unread posts displayed on the tab would be a great solution

The biggest issue that I don't have an answer on is, many know the XF user here Bobster who creates some great addons here at XF, well back in my VB days Bobster created the same type of addon however it was proven that it adversely impacted the SEO of your site...crawlers couldn't see the forums in any other than the first tab that is displayed to guests affecting the content rating of your site in search engines. Can anyone advise if this is the case with this addon?

Watching...in the hope that some of the above enhancements come out in future releases

The biggest issue that I don't have an answer on is, many know the XF user here Bobster who creates some great addons here at XF, well back in my VB days Bobster created the same type of addon however it was proven that it adversely impacted the SEO of your site...crawlers couldn't see the forums in any other than the first tab that is displayed to guests affecting the content rating of your site in search engines. Can anyone advise if this is the case with this addon?
This add-on uses javascript/CSS to put the nodes in different tabs, so my understanding is that this shouldn't affect SEO.

Hmm, after upgrade to 1.2, my subcategories (which are not be shown as tabs) for this levels are not shown if you use the direct link to this level, but are shown OK if you click on the tab for this category, very strange.

sub categories directlink.webp

Hmm, after un-checking "Show forum list tabs in category view" it now seems to work, still strange
It appears that the forum list is being displayed differently in XenForo 1.2 (I don't remember seeing this announced anywhere). It no longer displays forums sorted by category. As such, this feature would require a lot more work to be supported, so I have removed support for now.

John,

Is it possible to use this option to show the full category lists still, but have tabs for different languages. For instance, I'm working on a site which is international. I'd like the primary forums to be English, but a Tab, linking to their French and German equivalents - to limit the need for scrolling.

Top Bottom