[TH] Forum Digest [Deleted]

@ThemeHouse

Doesnt work for me on XF 1.5.7 - I also enabled "Indicate forum digest state in title" and clicked on digest button on the selected parent forum, it does nothing and also still shows the title "Classic View". On 1.1.6

@ThemeHouse

Doesnt work for me on XF 1.5.7 - I also enabled "Indicate forum digest state in title" and clicked on digest button on the selected parent forum, it does nothing and also still shows the title "Classic View". On 1.1.6

Would you mind sending me a PM with a link to your site?

Pm'ed you @JakeB

I did some testing and found the bug. The addon doesn't work as intended when the forum url is given a specific url in the XF node options - and set to something without an id.
This means forums ending with xxx.18 will work with the addon - but not forums ending with xxx

PS: Now the addon completely removes all display of Brogan's CTA Featured threads from every forum node and even homepage. Unchecking this addon from the installed addons list restores all featured thread blocks everywhere.

Looks like I can replicate this, but it's definitely not from the last update it's likely always been an incompatibility which we will be looking into.

All good, except that there is the 'forum link' beside each thread on all forums. This could look like keyword spamming by google as it appears many times in the page. I have removed the forum name after each thread by
Code:
a.forumLink {
    display:none;
}

But how do I remove the comma - , that still lingers after the username. Pl help!

Last edited:
@JakeB and @ThemeHouse
Is it possible to give an option to hide the 'forum name' beside every thread on the forum. I am worried about keyword stuffing penalty.

This is not currently an option. Realistically, I doubt that falls under keyword stuffing. Google defines keyword stuffing as:

"Keyword stuffing" refers to the practice of loading a webpage with keywords or numbers in an attempt to manipulate a site's ranking in Google search results. Often these keywords appear in a list or group, or out of context (not as natural prose)

They're certainly not out of context, and are there specifically to let you know the context of the thread. You can see similar behavior in the search results, when you click 'postings' on a user's profile, and a few other places. Also, hiding that text with CSS may actually be worse than letting it display, see Google's Hidden text and links support page.

This is not currently an option. Realistically, I doubt that falls under keyword stuffing. Google defines keyword stuffing as:

They're certainly not out of context, and are there specifically to let you know the context of the thread. You can see similar behavior in the search results, when you click 'postings' on a user's profile, and a few other places. Also, hiding that text with CSS may actually be worse than letting it display, see Google's Hidden text and links support page.
@Jake B.
Google algorithms can pick up false positives. Just want to be safe than sorry.

Ok... if you cannot add the option to hide, can you help me with hiding with css. Pl see my previous post.

I hid the forum links via css... but the , remains. How to hide the ,

Like I said, this forum title isn't actually being added by our add-on. The code to make it display is in the default template thread_list_item and shows up when a specific variable is set. This is used in quite a few places, and if it is removed search listings and quite a few other places will be quite a bit more confusing.

To remove it though, just edit thread_list_item and remove this bit:

Code:
<xen:if is="{$showForumLink}"><span class="containerName">,
                    <a href="{xen:link forums, $thread.forum}" class="forumLink">{$thread.forum.title}</a></span></xen:if>

Again, this is not added by us and removing it may cause unwanted side effects in other places.

Top Bottom