[TH] Discussion Count [Deleted]

Generally speaking, we respond quicker to nice messages of support than the tactics you are employing.

It seems this add-on isn't working. I've just installed it, and then run both Rebuild User Caches and Rebuild Thread Information (just to be sure!) but no luck, it still says everyone has 0 discussions.

What tactic was @karll employing when seeking support?

Again, I understand. However, the same message was posed by another member here. It was not replied to for a week. I downloaded and installed the add-on, and rated it based on my experience with it, and replied again based on what I could see in front of me.

I do realize developers prioritize things. On the same token, a 2 second reply acknowledging a member looking for support would have cleared up any confusion in the future. Had your reply been there, I would not have ever had to say anything.

I'm not employing anything. I am simply seeking support. Nothing more.

Waindigo has an incredible number of add-ons, so I fully understand that he must prioritize. I haven't contributed anything (monetarily) to his work, even though I use several of his add-ons, so I don't feel like I have a right to expect him to fix this bug. I'm sure he'll get around to it though, eventually, one of these days.

...so I don't feel like I have a right to expect him to fix this bug.

I never once said I expected him to fix the bug. I never demanded it to be fixed. I realize developers have priorities, schedules, all that. I said it looks to be unsupported (from the no reply to you) or abandonded (possibly poor choice of words). I stated once fixed, I would re-rate the add-on. If it's never fixed, I am okay with my rating. As far as quoting you, I was simply showing he hadn't replied to you, yet when I posted all of a sudden I have some hidden tactic. I was wanting to know the difference in what you posted, and what I had posted. Nothing more. The developer can take his time, can decide to never update it, that is fine with me.

That works, thanks for the fix.

A couple of suggestions for improvements:
  • Put number of discussions before number of posts everywhere, since number of discussions is more important (IMO!).
  • Under the XF Members tab, under Notable Members, there should be a list of Most Discussions.
  • Under the XF Members tab, under Notable Members, each entry in the lists should also state the number of discussions
I never once said I expected him to fix the bug. I never demanded it to be fixed.
My mistake.

• Put number of discussions before number of posts everywhere, since number of discussions is more important (IMO!).
  • Under the XF Members tab, under Notable Members, there should be a list of Most Discussions.
  • Under the XF Members tab, under Notable Members, each entry in the lists should also state the number of discussions
These are all very do-able features, if someone contributes then I will add them other than that you are waiting for me to have a bit of spare time which is a rarity these days :P

Would it be possible to use multiple instances of this plugin to create multiple post counts? For instance, I have roughly 7 sub-forums allocated for Classifieds. I want to have a Classifieds post count displayed in postbit. I also have another post count for another set of forums I want to display in postbit. Is this possible?

I just noticed that this add-on started to fail in the counting for example a new member registered today only has 3 threads posted however the add-on is reporting 6 threads to be owned by the member but there are only 3! The same is happening for other members for example there is a member with 85 threads however the add-on says 90 threads. What could be happening? Could it be due to the fact that within the last few days I moved some threads leaving a redirection notice that expires in 1 day?

Ref.: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/the-requested-thread-could-not-be-found.79870/

It looks like there is a bug with the way in how your add-on handles the thread counter when a thread from a member is moved from forum A to forum B. It appears (unconfirmed) that if for example a member has only 1 thread posted and then you move that thread and leave a redirection notice for let's say 3 days then your add-on reports that the member has 2 threads when in fact he only has 1 thread posted!

Btw it looks like your add-on was causing problems with the "Postings" tabs when viewing member profiles sometimes there was strange data like a random forum name and it's description shown on the list... I had to rebuilt the caches in order to fix the issue but I'm afraid it might happen again.

Could you please review your code? I'm using XF 1.3.3
Please also check this thread, I think it's related to your add-on, too.

It looks like there is a bug with the way in how your add-on handles the thread counter when a thread from a member is moved from forum A to forum B. It appears (unconfirmed) that if for example a member has only 1 thread posted and then you move that thread and leave a redirection notice for let's say 3 days then your add-on reports that the member has 2 threads when in fact he only has 1 thread posted!
For now this is just how the add-on works when re-directs are left, this is to allow for the fact that the discussion count goes down by one when the redirect is deleted later on.
Btw it looks like your add-on was causing problems with the "Postings" tabs when viewing member profiles sometimes there was strange data like a random forum name and it's description shown on the list... I had to rebuilt the caches in order to fix the issue but I'm afraid it might happen again.
If you can narrow down how this error occurs I can try to replicate it, I have been unable to do so currently.
Please also check this thread, I think it's related to your add-on, too.
This issue is not related to this add-on, just a redirect issue.

There are people with 1 thread being counted as if they had posted 2 threads! It looks like you're add-on isn't counting properly the threads... could you please review your code?

There are people with 1 thread being counted as if they had posted 2 threads! It looks like you're add-on isn't counting properly the threads... could you please review your code?
I have recently tested this add-on, if you can identify any other specific instances where the discussion count is erroneous I can try to replicate the issue and fix any bugs that may be present.

[CONFIRMED BUG]
Discussion counter gives wrong values. Tested on a stock XF 1.4 Beta 3 installation (but happens on XF 1.3 too as I have been reporting weeks ago). Appears to be a random behavior.

1. Register a user, let's say "Waindigo".
2. Logged in as Waindigo create two threads.
3. Now go to Waindigo's profile and you'll see: Messages: 2 / Discussions: 4
4. How to fix? You have to go ACP-Tools and rebuild User Caches, then it is: Messages: 2 / Discussions: 2

[UNCONFIRMED BUG]
It looks like sometimes threads deleted (specially using the spam cleaner) aren't reducing the discussions counter i.e. if a member creates 2 threads and then you delete one (try with the spam cleaner, too) then the discussion count for that member will remain at 2. This is unconfirmed and will require further testing by @Waindigo. Even if you're unable to confirm this I suggest you you to add some checks to make sure that you're not counting deleted threads because I have been able to see this bug but just don't have the time to look for a test case scenario.

Last edited:
[CONFIRMED BUG]
Discussion counter gives wrong values. Tested on a stock XF 1.4 Beta 3 installation (but happens on XF 1.3 too as I have been reporting weeks ago). Appears to be a random behavior.

1. Register a user, let's say "Waindigo".
2. Logged in as Waindigo create two threads.
3. Now go to Waindigo's profile and you'll see: Messages: 2 / Discussions: 4
4. How to fix? You have to go ACP-Tools and rebuild User Caches, then it is: Messages: 2 / Discussions: 2
I did test this again with all other add-ons disabled and still can't replicate this, it just works fine no matter which way I test it. I would also like to point our that a 'confirmed bug' requires confirmation from at least one other source before it can be labelled as such.
[UNCONFIRMED BUG]
It looks like sometimes threads deleted (specially using the spam cleaner) aren't reducing the discussions counter i.e. if a member creates 2 threads and then you delete one (try with the spam cleaner, too) then the discussion count for that member will remain at 2. This is unconfirmed and will require further testing by @Waindigo. Even if you're unable to confirm this I suggest you you to add some checks to make sure that you're not counting deleted threads because I have been able to see this bug but just don't have the time to look for a test case scenario.
This was not taken into account when the add-on was commissioned, IF this is a bug it is a minor one and won't cause major issues in the long run. If you would like to contribute I would be happy to investigate this further and fix any potential issues.

Top Bottom