[TH] Covers [Deleted]

The various issues folks have reported are making us a bit nervous as we prepare to upgrade to 2.2. That being said, I can't say we're surprised given that we have XF core directly copying the add-on in part here...

@Dalton Prock @Lukas W. Thanks for chiming in to help folks with this. Just want to confirm that the current recommended upgrade pathway for folks on 2.1 and with a 2.1-compatible version of Covers would be to:
  1. Disable the Covers add-on
  2. Upgrade XF to 2.2
  3. Upgrade the Covers add-on to the latest patched release
  4. Re-enable the Covers add-on
In addition, it sounds like this will have the effect of migrating user profile covers originally saved via Covers to XF 2.2's native solution, while retaining the remainder of the Covers add-on in other areas; is that correct?

Thanks much!

The various issues folks have reported are making us a bit nervous as we prepare to upgrade to 2.2. That being said, I can't say we're surprised given that we have XF core directly copying the add-on in part here...

@Dalton Prock @Lukas W. Thanks for chiming in to help folks with this. Just want to confirm that the current recommended upgrade pathway for folks on 2.1 and with a 2.1-compatible version of Covers would be to:
  1. Disable the Covers add-on
  2. Upgrade XF to 2.2
  3. Upgrade the Covers add-on to the latest patched release
  4. Re-enable the Covers add-on
In addition, it sounds like this will have the effect of migrating user profile covers originally saved via Covers to XF 2.2's native solution, while retaining the remainder of the Covers add-on in other areas; is that correct?

Thanks much!
So the theory, yes. We strongly recommend to run this process on at least one test environment that is effectively a copy of your live environment to rule out any errors beforehand, before you proceed to upgrading your live environment.

I'm curious - has anyone updated from XF 2.1 > 2.2 and upgraded the Covers add-on, successfully? Obviously folks will tend to post when they have problems rather than when things are working fine, but it would be nice to have some confirmation of successes in the wild ahead of us attempting the same later this month :)

I'm curious - has anyone updated from XF 2.1 > 2.2 and upgraded the Covers add-on, successfully?
I just tried it (1.0.4 Patch Level 4 -> 1.1.0 Patch Level 2). Results:

• Covers were migrated successfully (albeit custom placing is lost)
  • When opening the cover browser the list is empty but has 40 pages (for me); refreshing the page results in less pages being available in the pagination. After refreshing 40 times the pagination is gone and still no covers visible.
  • Cover presets cannot be selected in user profiles anymore (only custom upload)
  • When not having the "Use presets for own thread covers" permission, you still get the "Select preset" entry in the dropdown but upon clicking it are greeted with a "You are not allowed to view this cover" modal (the button should not occur but if it did, the message should be "[...] to view this preset").
  • You still get aforementioned error even when you DO have the permission.

Last edited:

• When opening the cover browser the list is empty but has 40 pages (for me); refreshing the page results in less pages being available in the pagination. After refreshing 40 times the pagination is gone and still no covers visible.
  • Cover presets cannot be selected in user profiles anymore (only custom upload)
  • When not having the "Use presets for own thread covers" permission, you still get the "Select preset" entry in the dropdown but upon clicking it are greeted with a "You are not allowed to view this cover" modal (the button should not occur but if it did, the message should be "[...] to view this preset").
Thanks so much for sharing your experience. Sounds like there aren't any egregious/show-stopping issues, but a lot of rough edges still.

@MinutiaeMedia It does not sound about right, sorry about that. Just saw that it only converted the cover of my user (id 1). All other users lost their covers. They're still inside the xf_th_covers_cover table, so they might be recoverable... Any thoughts? @Dalton Prock

I recently have been getting this error after I downloaded the ThemeHouse add-on Covers. I am at a loss as to what this means. Could you be kind enough to assist me in fixing this error please? Thank you!

xf error.webp

@MinutiaeMedia It does not sound about right, sorry about that. Just saw that it only converted the cover of my user (id 1). All other users lost their covers. They're still inside the xf_th_covers_cover table, so they might be recoverable... Any thoughts? @Dalton Prock
Bummer :(

I recently have been getting this error after I downloaded the ThemeHouse add-on Covers. I am at a loss as to what this means. Could you be kind enough to assist me in fixing this error please? Thank you!

View attachment 242142
In my experience that usually means that something went wrong during installation. Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing yet?

I'd have to check with our team on this and get back to you :)

View attachment 242142
We've had other reports on this and it is in our issue tracker. For now, you can continue to use this add-on as even with this showing no issues should be experienced.

Thank you for your report! I'm gonna take a look at these to see if I'm able to replicate them before reporting them on our issue tracker.

After doing appropriate tests on all of these I am not able to replicate I'm afraid although the second one mentions the cover browser, I'd have to generate some content before testing this one. Both the third, fourth, and fifth I'm not able to replicate neither although do you have the user group permission set to "No" or "Never"?

I'm afraid although the second one mentions the cover browser, I'd have to generate some content before testing this one.
I think the appropriate way to reproduce it would be to generate content on XF 2.1 with the appropriate version of your Covers add-on, then upgrade to XF2.2 and upgrade your Covers add-on to the latest version.

although do you have the user group permission set to "No" or "Never"?
They're all set to "No":
1608063757978.png

but still display the respective button:
1608063805348.png

and when clicking on "Choose cover preset":
1608063824307.png

However I do have moderator permissions:
1608063852734.png

So either the button should not be shown (because thread covers are disabled, despite the mod permissions), or the button should be shown and editing should be possible (because of the mod permissions, despite thread covers being disabled).

the third
Since there is no "Use presets for own profile covers" permission (anymore?), just for threads and resources, I have set the "Upload a profile banner" permission to "Yes". There's a button "Edit profile banner" on my profile, but no way to select presets.

Last edited:
do ppl think this is decent for 2.2 as is? it is a little confused, wasnt sure if we should upgrade or wait.....and then of course how long that will be if we wait........we have a few covers i prefer to not force ppl to reupload, just concerned about bug issues........dont really care about presets just normal functioning kind of stuff atm...

EDIT: btw, it doesnt make it any easier to see themehouse not even publish change logs to the latest versions.....i see there is one more latest version by now than the one which is discussed here.....even the older release links on the home site just route back to the same page, meet us halfway a bit better here pls.

Last edited:
do ppl think this is decent for 2.2 as is? it is a little confused, wasnt sure if we should upgrade or wait.....and then of course how long that will be if we wait........we have a few covers i prefer to not force ppl to reupload, just concerned about bug issues........dont really care about presets just normal functioning kind of stuff atm...

EDIT: btw, it doesnt make it any easier to see themehouse not even publish change logs to the latest versions.....i see there is one more latest version by now than the one which is discussed here.....even the older release links on the home site just route back to the same page, meet us halfway a bit better here pls.
Hello Iggy - I'd be happy to assist with any questions you have on Covers! Also, the latest release of Covers (1.1.0 to 1.1.0 PL2) removes functionality for profile covers since it is default functionality on XenForo now as of version 2.2. As far as change-logs go, I checked them and saw that at least one version doesn't have any information listed. I'll check with our team on this and get this updated :)

Hello Iggy - I'd be happy to assist with any questions you have on Covers! Also, the latest release of Covers (1.1.0 to 1.1.0 PL2) removes functionality for profile covers since it is default functionality on XenForo now as of version 2.2. As far as change-logs go, I checked them and saw that at least one version doesn't have any information listed. I'll check with our team on this and get this updated :)
i dont even need to read em, just want to know that the issues SeToY and others faced that made them regret upgrading, have been resolved....which....it sounds like they havent!

we are near to 2.2.3 now with xenforo, practically every other developer has done this by now.....

yep thats exactly what we did from 2.1.....

i am confused what everyone is saying tho....you list a bunch of problems, someone else says its not perfect but nothing major messing up...you said you were able to migrate ok, but this last post you are talking about how to restore covers....none of this should be this complicated and should have been sorted by now i feel...

maybe an ETA and a bit of clarity on the current status(ok to upgrade or wait, consequences etc) at the least? @Dalton Prock
Not if you're upgrading from 2.1. https://xenforo.com/community/threads/th-covers-paid.148763/post-1485677 still struggling with this and have, hence, disabled even the core XF functionality in hopes TH somehow figures out how to restore my users' previous covers.

someone else says its not perfect but nothing major messing up
Yeah, that was me too. I didn't see these problems just a few hours after the migration was (seemingly) successful. Turned out it was not and hence I listed those problems.

none of this should be this complicated and should have been sorted by now i feel...
Yeah, that's what I think, too.

But according to TH, this is "unusual" (well, it appears all of the problems reported are) and not to be reproduced?
After doing appropriate tests on all of these I am not able to replicate I'm afraid

Let's see what the response is after I, provably, am suffering from those problems and have clarified my settings.

Top Bottom