[TH] Covers [Deleted]

As it stands, it can be really difficult to read any content overlayed on the cover, plus it's then also hard to enjoy the content of the cover itself.
Agreed. One of the first things I did when I upgraded to XF2 was change the "covers" layout on member cards (my member profiles are a little different from the original XF2 layout so I didn't need to change that for covers). Having the cover above the blurb definitely makes it easier to read (obviously :X3:)

Ahh yeah, that looks ace, just what I was thinking.

How did you do the user group icons like that? I really like that too.

A great new feature to [TH] Covers would be the ability to add a Google map as a cover in a thread. This is so that the focal point can be the area of discussion taken place.

There would be two different styles that I can see fit. The first one, I don't know if it would be achievable because I don't know if you can place text over an iframe/embed. But, it'd look something like this:

The second thought I had was an image accompanying a map. If it were like this (because text overlay), it'd be best to stack the image on top of the map while mobile. This, of course, would require a cover photo as well as a map GPS/location:

Edit: If the image accompanies the map, it should be resized/cropped to display as a "thumbnail" where you can also drag to fit (as normal), but retain the original size (say 1200x628px) so that it can be shareable in a larger card.

Excuse my Photoshop skills, I just wanted to relay it as quickly as possible to get the point across and be understandable.

That second mockup is similar to XenAtendo 1, not sure about 2 as I haven't tried it. Was great for events.

Actually, it was a combination of both. Full screen image as in mockup 1, then info where the image is on mockup 2, and the map in the same spot.

Kind of surprised TH don't have a decent events plugin.

Kind of surprised TH don't have a decent events plugin.
As it's a thread, it could be used more than just events. I was thinking of 'pin drops' where someone shares a location and then some pictures, what they did, etc.

I could see it being used for events, too, but it'd have to be extended using custom fields for time/day, etc., as well as RSVP stuff (essentially no longer making it a "cover" add-on).

For the most part, that wouldn't fit my forum as I'm eagerly awaiting a release of an XF2 calendar already with that functionality.

Agreed. One of the first things I did when I upgraded to XF2 was change the "covers" layout on member cards (my member profiles are a little different from the original XF2 layout so I didn't need to change that for covers). Having the cover above the blurb definitely makes it easier to read (obviously :X3:)

View attachment 195443
Gemma, just curious since you've been using 'covers' for a bit... how do your members react to covers when viewed from the profile page when vastly different sized resolutions might be used? Any complaints about images getting cut-off at lower resolutions or distorted when viewing on a UHD monitor?

Gemma, just curious since you've been using 'covers' for a bit... how do your members react to covers when viewed from the profile page when vastly different sized resolutions might be used? Any complaints about images getting cut-off at lower resolutions or distorted when viewing on a UHD monitor?
I've not had any complaints but that doesn't mean there aren't any issues. I've noticed myself that it doesn't seem to be responsive but I've not updated to the latest version yet (I'll go do that now). If you want to check out some profiles on my site for yourself at different resolutions here are the admin profile pages

edit: Messaged you a demo account to try yourself.

Last edited:
This is not something we would see fit to be added to this plugin, unfortunately.
You ought to really reconsider it. There are 100,000 to 1,000,000 searches per month on Google for geocaching. I'm sure there are many travel/explore niche forums that could benefit from this, apart from typical location discussing.

What a way to post a geocache coordinate than in a cover?

If not, I will have to look into expanding it myself.

Thanks

Thoughts on this one.... Who's Online showing unknown page? How is a 'bot even getting to the covers, from scanning a member profile page?

Thoughts on this one.... Who's Online showing unknown page? How is a 'bot even getting to the covers, from scanning a member profile page?

View attachment 196325

How did you get that to display? I have lots of unknown pages from guests and wondered what page they landing on and now I can ??

Edit: Ah just a hover and it displays it! Very useful!

Anyway I been getting error logs past few days and it seems related to this add-on:

Code:
Server error log
[LIST]
[*]TypeError: Argument 1 passed to ThemeHouse\Covers\Pub\Controller\Cover::setupDefaultCover() must be an instance of XF\Mvc\Entity\Entity, null given, called in /home/gnonline/web/joyfreak.com/public_html/src/addons/ThemeHouse/Covers/Pub/Controller/Cover.php on line 386
[*]src/addons/ThemeHouse/Covers/Pub/Controller/Cover.php:351
[*]Generated by: Unknown account
[*]Feb 23, 2019 at 4:01 PM
[/LIST]
Stack trace
#0 src/addons/ThemeHouse/Covers/Pub/Controller/Cover.php(386): ThemeHouse\Covers\Pub\Controller\Cover->setupDefaultCover(NULL)
#1 src/addons/ThemeHouse/Covers/Pub/Controller/Cover.php(30): ThemeHouse\Covers\Pub\Controller\Cover->assertCover('user', '1094')
#2 src/XF/Pub/Controller/AbstractController.php(30): ThemeHouse\Covers\Pub\Controller\Cover->preDispatchController('Position', Object(XF\Mvc\ParameterBag))
#3 src/XF/Mvc/Controller.php(123): XF\Pub\Controller\AbstractController->preDispatchType('Position', Object(XF\Mvc\ParameterBag))
#4 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(320): XF\Mvc\Controller->preDispatch('Position', Object(XF\Mvc\ParameterBag))
#5 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(248): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass('ThemeHouse\\Cove...', 'Position', Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch), Object(ThemeHouse\Covers\Pub\Controller\Cover), NULL)
#6 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(100): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch(Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch), Object(ThemeHouse\Covers\Pub\Controller\Cover), NULL)
#7 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(50): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop(Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch))
#8 src/XF/App.php(2177): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#9 src/XF.php(390): XF\App->run()
#10 index.php(25): XF::runApp('XF\\Pub\\App')
#11 {main}
Request state
array(4) {
  ["url"] => string(26) "/covers/user/1094/position"
  ["referrer"] => bool(false)
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

Last edited:
How did you get that to display? I have lots of unknown pages from guests and wondered what page they landing on and now I can ??
While viewing the Current Visitors page (apparently I'm old and still call it "Who's Online" :LOL: ) just hover over the "Viewing unknown age" text and you should see the controller being used.

View attachment 196325

Edit: Ah just a hover and it displays it! Very useful!

Anyway I been getting error logs past few days and it seems related to this add-on:

Code:
Server error log
[LIST]
[*]TypeError: Argument 1 passed to ThemeHouse\Covers\Pub\Controller\Cover::setupDefaultCover() must be an instance of XF\Mvc\Entity\Entity, null given, called in /home/gnonline/web/joyfreak.com/public_html/src/addons/ThemeHouse/Covers/Pub/Controller/Cover.php on line 386
[*]src/addons/ThemeHouse/Covers/Pub/Controller/Cover.php:351
[*]Generated by: Unknown account
[*]Feb 23, 2019 at 4:01 PM
[/LIST]
Stack trace
#0 src/addons/ThemeHouse/Covers/Pub/Controller/Cover.php(386): ThemeHouse\Covers\Pub\Controller\Cover->setupDefaultCover(NULL)
#1 src/addons/ThemeHouse/Covers/Pub/Controller/Cover.php(30): ThemeHouse\Covers\Pub\Controller\Cover->assertCover('user', '1094')
#2 src/XF/Pub/Controller/AbstractController.php(30): ThemeHouse\Covers\Pub\Controller\Cover->preDispatchController('Position', Object(XF\Mvc\ParameterBag))
#3 src/XF/Mvc/Controller.php(123): XF\Pub\Controller\AbstractController->preDispatchType('Position', Object(XF\Mvc\ParameterBag))
#4 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(320): XF\Mvc\Controller->preDispatch('Position', Object(XF\Mvc\ParameterBag))
#5 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(248): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass('ThemeHouse\\Cove...', 'Position', Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch), Object(ThemeHouse\Covers\Pub\Controller\Cover), NULL)
#6 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(100): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch(Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch), Object(ThemeHouse\Covers\Pub\Controller\Cover), NULL)
#7 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(50): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop(Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch))
#8 src/XF/App.php(2177): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#9 src/XF.php(390): XF\App->run()
#10 index.php(25): XF::runApp('XF\\Pub\\App')
#11 {main}
Request state
array(4) {
  ["url"] => string(26) "/covers/user/1094/position"
  ["referrer"] => bool(false)
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}
I'll go ahead and review these before adding them to the issue tracker guys. Thanks for the report!

hi @ThemeHouse

i recently updated to XF2.1 and i noticed something about the covers

namely - is there a reason why in XF2.1 covers are no longer displayed in the user settings dropdown?

they looked pretty good in there and now after the update they're gone :(

hi @ThemeHouse

i recently updated to XF2.1 and i noticed something about the covers

namely - is there a reason why in XF2.1 covers are no longer displayed in the user settings dropdown?

View attachment 197280

they looked pretty good in there and now after the update they're gone :(
They don’t even show in the member card either.
We've included a fix for this issue in an upcoming update. Thanks for reporting it :)

Top Bottom