[TH] Bookmarks [Deleted]

ThemeHouse

ThemeHouse submitted a new resource:

[TH] Bookmarks - Allow your users to mark threads, posts, and other content that they'd like to view later.

Allow users to bookmark any threads, posts, or any other content on your forum as bookmarks. This even allows your users to make notes on different bookmarks which can then be shown on your users' profiles.

Supported content types:
  • Threads
  • Media (with XFMG)
  • Resources (with XFRM)

Read more about this resource...

Yo this is pretty sick! Seems like a very well designed add-on that really lets you keep track of things. Wow i am really impressed!

Do you think it is possible to give your board members options of where they want to see/use their Bookmarks. I know the admin can set the Board defaults, but i think it would be cool to say i only want my bookmarks to show on my members card or on my profile page in my side bar. Or on my profile page in the tabs menu. To let the user have some control over the look of their accounts.

Do you think it is possible to give your board members options of where they want to see/use their Bookmarks. I know the admin can set the Board defaults, but i think it would be cool to say i only want my bookmarks to show on my members card or on my profile page in my side bar. Or on my profile page in the tabs menu. To let the user have some control over the look of their accounts.
Its not a bad idea, but typically you don't want the UI to change page to page. This is why ideas like letting people edit CSS on profiles just makes people upset (case in point: MySpace :P)

Its not a bad idea, but typically you don't want the UI to change page to page. This is why ideas like letting people edit CSS on profiles just makes people upset (case in point: MySpace :p)
I am from the Myspace era, and even before that. One thing I loved was the freedom of being able to use html etc. Now the net doesn't allow that anymore on any social networking site. That is cool and fine with me, but the thing that sticks out to me the most is Power. These websites have taken away the power from the people to showcase themselves in the way they want to. Now its only what these website allow you to do and that is it. Now the people from the new era have no idea of how the net use to be so they are cool with this way. But I would like to give my board members the power back. Freedom to showcase their content and operate their accounts how they see fit. So yeah I would not want people to put code in to edit profile pages etc. Most people nowadays wouldn't even know what that is. But if we can give members options is all I am asking. So on my website if a member wants to change the color of his/her text color for their profile pages they can. If they want to change the color of their sidebar they can. So they can have that feeling of yeah this is mine or I designed this to fit me. It doesn't change the rest of the site, but it makes their profile pages their own. So giving members a chance to choose where they see the bookmarks Menu would be giving something back to the board members. Also it could just be options in their preference and not .css like myspace that can get all crazy and stuff.

Do you remember ?
Use to be able to use html etc. on those sites before Myspace came out.

I am from the Myspace era, and even before that. One thing I loved was the freedom of being able to use html etc. Now the net doesn't allow that anymore on any social networking site. That is cool and fine with me, but the thing that sticks out to me the most is Power. These websites have taken away the power from the people to showcase themselves in the way they want to. Now its only what these website allow you to do and that is it. Now the people from the new era have no idea of how the net use to be so they are cool with this way. But I would like to give my board members the power back. Freedom to showcase their content and operate their accounts how they see fit. So yeah I would not want people to put code in to edit profile pages etc. Most people nowadays wouldn't even know what that is. But if we can give members options is all I am asking. So on my website if a member wants to change the color of his/her text color for their profile pages they can. If they want to change the color of their sidebar they can. So they can have that feeling of yeah this is mine or I designed this to fit me. It doesn't change the rest of the site, but it makes their profile pages their own. So giving members a chance to choose where they see the bookmarks Menu would be giving something back to the board members. Also it could just be options in their preference and not .css like myspace that can get all crazy and stuff.

Do you remember ?
Use to be able to use html etc. on those sites before Myspace came out.
The problem is that if users put ugly values in, that reflects on the site and management. And Id argue there are better ways to showcase their content and showcase themselves without editing the design or layout of a page.

Those sites don't seem to be active anymore, and somewhat broken.

The problem is that if users put ugly values in, that reflects on the site and management.
What did you mean by this?

Yea those site are outdated, but i was just giving you an example of sites that use to let members hook up their profile pages with html etc. like Myspace.

What did you mean by this?
If I am given the option to put something that affects other users dramatically, like colors, I could put really bad colors that clash; say neon yellow and bright light green or something. Yes you can control this with color libraries to modify, but whats the point. Giving users less options is always safer. Don't mean to argue you at all, I love an argument. Feel free to PC me direct if you wish!
Is this addon the same as this, just updated for XF2, https://xenforo.com/community/resources/bookmarks.272/ ?
It is not, it is built ground up. Though has close to feature parity with this add-on, but for XF2 yes.

If I am given the option to put something that affects other users dramatically, like colors, I could put really bad colors that clash; say neon yellow and bright light green or something. Yes you can control this with color libraries to modify, but whats the point. Giving users less options is always safer. Don't mean to argue you at all, I love an argument. Feel free to PC me direct if you wish!

It is not, it is built ground up. Though has close to feature parity with this add-on, but for XF2 yes.
I actually do not feel like this is an argument or anything of that nature. We can disagree on something it is totally fine. No need to PC about this, i was only suggesting giving the user more options to control where they want to see or use the bookmarks feature. The Profile page customization tools we have for our members are working out as intended. I only brought it up in this thread as an example to the point i was making in that post. It is all love man and a simple discussion. It actually helps me understand where other peoples minds and todays web is at today. :);):p

I actually do not feel like this is an argument or anything of that nature. We can disagree on something it is totally fine. No need to PC about this, i was only suggesting giving the user more options to control where they want to see or use the bookmarks feature. The Profile page customization tools we have for our members are working out as intended. I only brought it up in this thread as an example to the point i was making in that post. It is all love man and a simple discussion. It actually helps me understand where other peoples minds and todays web is at today. :);):p
No no no, argument is not a bad word!! :D Its a good word! Its when people can have a conversation from two perspectives, I love that. I didn't mean to say I was upset in any way shape or form. I meant if you wanted to bring it to PC so we can stay on topic I'd be happy to do so! :)

Sure I would be happy to compromise or whatever works so there isn't any confusion. We built a bookmarks system for XF1 but never released it, didn't really think of this.

To be honest it is just a name, and a pretty common name. So i would not change it for the simple fact nobody can own the copyrights to that name. It is free to use by anybody, but if you do change it let me help haaaaaaaaaaaaa. :p

• Bookmarks Pro
  • Bookmarks XP
  • Bookmarks Indeed
  • Bookmarks by Theme
  • Bookmarks for me
:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Top Bottom