[TH] Active Recently Definition [Deleted]

Jon W

Waindigo submitted a new resource:

Active Recently Definition by Waindigo - Adds an option to define what is considered "active recently", used for birthdays and auto-complete.

In XenForo 1.4, the term "active recently" is introduced and is used to ensure that members lists are more relevant by only showing users who have been on the site recently. It is used to show birthdays of active members and when auto-completing usernames (i.e., when tagging users in posts).

This add-on allows you to set how many...

Read more about this resource...

Thanks Jon for rapidly creating this add-on after we discovered the issue today.

I only noticed this b/c in the XF incremental user search box, it wasn't pulling up all the users that I knew existed, but just hadn't logged in for a while.

This needs to be better documented somewhere (I don't remember seeing it in a "have you seen?" video), because I had no idea the issue was going on until I ran across it personally. I'm guessing i'm not alone.

In the code. I'm being 100% serious BTW. Hence this addon.
I've never seen the XF devs do this before -- quietly bolt on a new feature with no UI to alter its behavior. The fact that it is altering the way search works makes it double-plus-ungood :) I suspect they'll address that in a point release.

Very, very grateful to Jon for creating this add-on in record time!

I've never seen the XF devs do this before -- quietly bolt on a new feature with no UI to alter its behavior. The fact that it is altering the way search works makes it double-plus-ungood :) I suspect they'll address that in a point release.

Very, very grateful to Jon for creating this add-on in record time!

It was announced and announced as not being adjustable.

It was announced and announced as not being adjustable.
I must have missed the announcement; but what was the rationale of making it non-adjustable?! they effectively made searching for users who hadn't logged in past the (arbitrary) cut-off date of 6 months invisible. A terrible idea when you have communities that are 15+ years old.

One of the major remaining advantages of forum software is that it provides a real, lasting archive and historical record. Contrast this to newer social media platforms like twitter or facebook where things slide into the memory hole in a matter of days. Surely the devs must be aware of this?

I must have missed the announcement;

Limit auto-complete and birthday lists to active users
Similar to the previous option, username auto-complete and birthday lists are now limited to only showing users that have been active (somewhat) recently. The goal in both cases is to filter out users that are unlikely to be contacted or sought out.

As it stands, this is not option controlled and defaults to users active in the last 180 days.

Thanks -- I think this feature is misguided at best. I can see limiting the search period if there's, say, a performance reason for doing so. But the person who runs a site knows far better than the XF devs as to whether or not a member will or won't want to be contacted, whether or not they've recently logged in. 6 months was an arbitrary decision, and in many cases (like ours) not an optimal one.

Will this addon also change the date considered active for user group promotions. I have a gaming clan that the forum is not widely used but members earn trophy points for being active on team speak and playing on our game servers. these points go towards a ranking system using secondary user group promotions.

I had manually edited the code recently to cover all users even if they had never logged in since there initial sign up. (but would much rather not be editing code directly)

I have previously implemented an off line message through Team speak alerting team speak members of new posts on the web site.

I don't mind so much that members are not active as much on the website, by having the rank system and allocating lots of points for being active on the forum I'm hoping it will bring more members back to the forum and make a better link between all means of communication

Currently the definition is only used in two places in XenForo 1.4, which is the two places we have described. This may change in future and other add-ons may choose to use the built in definition too.

Top Bottom