Terms and Rules Update

Lisa

Just me being nosy, so feel free to tell me to shut up :D Just curious what's changed, since the rules seem a pretty logical choice to me and I can't (off the top of my head) see anything different :)

Old
The providers of this service ("we") are not responsible for the content of any messages posted. Messages posted express the views of their author only.

You agree to not use this service to post any material which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violates any laws.

We reserve the rights to remove or modify any messages posted for any reason.

All information or content you submit or upload may be reviewed by staff members. Do not submit any content or information that you consider to be private or confidential.

New
The providers ("we", "us", "our") of this website ("Service") are not responsible for any user-generated content ("Content"). Content posted express the views of their author only.

You agree to not use the Service to post any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws ("Guidelines"). You agree to not use the Service to post any Content which links to material that violates our Guidelines.

We reserve the rights to remove or modify any Content posted for any reason without explanation. Requests for Content to be removed or modified will be undertaken only at our discretion. We reserve the right to take action against any account with the service at any time.

You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content.

All Content you submit or upload may be reviewed by staff members. Do not submit any Content that you consider to be private or confidential.

These terms may be changed at any time without notice.

If you do not agree with these terms, please do not register or use this Service. If you wish to close your account, please contact us.

"You are granting us with a non-exclusive, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service."

Does Content include add-ons or other "copyrighted" code people upload here? Has this come about because Floris removed all of the XenFans content from here?

Yep I saw that but also we've had the recent issue with XenFans and I wondered whether that contributed (and whether "content" includes add-ons).

Yeah I wondered about that, too.. on the other hand.. Is it really a win for xenForo to keep outdated addons here? probabbly it's both ;)

No connection to XenFans or anything like that. It's an update to the default XenForo rules, really to just give admins a little bit more control over the content provided and reserve additional rights -- the concepts in that Post Ownership thread are related/similar to the changes made. Nothing untoward about it.

We don't have intention of keeping add-ons around that people don't want to keep, though I would discourage people from removing their add-ons if they don't want to maintain them. At least open source (BSD) the code and/or let someone else pick it up.

No connection to XenFans or anything like that. It's an update to the default XenForo rules, really to just give admins a little bit more control over the content provided -- the concepts in that Post Ownership thread are related/similar to the changes made. Nothing untoward about it.
Thanks.. but mike...
Brogan won't be happy to see you posting here ^^

No connection to XenFans or anything like that. It's an update to the default XenForo rules, really to just give admins a little bit more control over the content provided and reserve additional rights -- the concepts in that Post Ownership thread are related/similar to the changes made. Nothing untoward about it.

We don't have intention of keeping add-ons around that people don't want to keep, though I would discourage people from removing their add-ons if they don't want to maintain them. At least open source (BSD) the code and/or let someone else pick it up.

You shouldn't be here :p

1)
the new text refers to "Guidelines".
where to see those "Guidelines" ?

2)
Can we also have a link for "Privacy Policy" for our own forums ?

Thanks.

Guidelines is a term that is defined in the terms and rules text. The first reference (in parentheses) is where it's defined. Same with Service, Content, etc.

Mike - but it then states:
which links to material that violates our Guidelines.
Where are "our guidelines" defined?

It is confusing because the definition of a Guideline is defined as
otherwise violates any laws ("Guidelines")
A law is NOT a Guideline...

A guideline is not mandatory and not enforced
A law on the other hand is enforced.

That's not how you read it - the entire list of things are the Guidelines. Regardless, I've tweaked it. It means the same thing but is clearer.

Guidelines in this context relates to the items listed in the preceding sentence.

Edit: Birthday ninja'ed!

You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content."

Can you please explain this further? Are you saying you can (we grant you permission) to post derivatives of other peoples resources?

Can you please explain this further? Are you saying you can (we grant you permission) to post derivatives of other peoples resources?
My guess is that (using your work as an example) - if you posted a smiley pack, they could then include that smiley pack in the core product.

I've bolded the bit which made me think that, though the underlined bit made me think on it too.
We reserve the rights to remove or modify any Content posted for any reason without explanation. Requests for Content to be removed or modified will be undertaken only at our discretion. We reserve the right to take action against any account with the Service at any time.
You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content.
All Content you submit or upload may be reviewed by staff members. Do not submit any Content that you consider to be private or confidential.

That's the reason I asked above about their definition of "Content". I'm fairly sure it wasn't meant to imply what it does but I think it needs making clearer.

Top Bottom