1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Template including

Discussion in 'XenForo Development Discussions' started by Mythotical, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Mythotical

Mythotical Well-Known Member

I know that:
    HTML:
    <xen:include template="{$block.block_template}" />
    Won't work, so I remove { } but I get no return for the variable. There a specific way to make this work by using a variable from the database that has a template name?

2. CurveGotti

CurveGotti Active Member

I think the correct method would be
    HTML:
    <xen:include template="block.block_template" />

no { } or $

hopefully :)

3. Mythotical

That is correct if I was pulling a template like that but the var is replaced by a pre-determined entry in the database from a separate table.

4. CurveGotti

CurveGotti Active Member

ok I see what you mean now, no idea on that one then. I'll have to look around and see if I can find an instance anywhere, or hopefully someone else has a valid answer before we go mad looking for such an example :confused:

5. Mythotical

LOL no kidding, I have been driving myself bonkers trying to figure this out.

6. CurveGotti

CurveGotti Active Member

Code:
     <xen:include template="block_template">
                <xen:set var="$block">
    </xen:set>
            </xen:include>

lol don't know if this is right either but just trying to brain storm, saw something similar in a template....

7. Mythotical

Thanks Curve, I'll give it a try.

8. Mythotical

Gave that a whirl but something is preventing it. I'll do a var dump to make sure its actually pulling it.

9. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

It looks like you're trying to include a template dynamically. You can't do that. Includes are resolved at compile time.

If you want a template dynamically, you're getting into setting up a view.

10. Mythotical

Ok so guess I can look at the template.php file for a determination of doing this then. Thanks Mike as usual. hehe

11. Mythotical

Mike, could you point me to a file I could use as an example?