TaigaChat Pro - Realtime chat/shoutbox [Deleted]

Pink message area in Taigachat

Has anyone reported this happening on their forum? I have a member who just reported this and so far is the only one it is happening to.

It is happening to the member in Chrome and not IE. It is not happening to me in either browser.

Any clue as to what may be going on?

Thank you for any help with this.

Attachments

• pink.webp
    pink.webp
    70.8 KB · Views: 40
Pink message area in Taigachat

Has anyone reported this happening on their forum? I have a member who just reported this and so far is the only one it is happening to.

It is happening to the member in Chrome and not IE. It is not happening to me in either browser.

Any clue as to what may be going on?

Thank you for any help with this.

This could be because Style you are using. Try using your site without Style (use xenforo default). If this solves issue, it’s style issue.

That can be fixed with css modification.

@madamgambler It could also be a side-effect of a browser extension. Ask the user for a list of their extensions and see if there are any that are likely to affect CSS. Also, ask the user if they're able to reproduce it in Incognito mode.

That particular color is "magenta", and it's notable because it's a secondary color in the RGB color system (primary colors are red, green, blue; secondary colors are cyan, magenta, yellow; tertiary color is white). It's historically been used as a placeholder because it stands out, is rarely used in its pure form (not quite pink, not quite purple), and is easy to write (#f0f or #ff00ff). If there's a buggy style or extension that still has debug code in it, you're likely to see that effect. Alternatively, some image formats and tools have used magenta as a placeholder for transparency over the years, so you may want to look into whether there's a background image used on that input and whether the user's software is able to process it correctly. I've seen it most often with ICO files, so if you're using an ICO for an icon in that textbox for whatever reason, that could be the cause. (ICO = Windows icon format, *.ico file extension)

@madamgambler It could also be a side-effect of a browser extension. Ask the user for a list of their extensions and see if there are any that are likely to affect CSS. Also, ask the user if they're able to reproduce it in Incognito mode.

That particular color is "magenta", and it's notable because it's a secondary color in the RGB color system (primary colors are red, green, blue; secondary colors are cyan, magenta, yellow; tertiary color is white). It's historically been used as a placeholder because it stands out, is rarely used in its pure form (not quite pink, not quite purple), and is easy to write (#f0f or #ff00ff). If there's a buggy style or extension that still has debug code in it, you're likely to see that effect. Alternatively, some image formats and tools have used magenta as a placeholder for transparency over the years, so you may want to look into whether there's a background image used on that input and whether the user's software is able to process it correctly. I've seen it most often with ICO files, so if you're using an ICO for an icon in that textbox for whatever reason, that could be the cause. (ICO = Windows icon format, *.ico file extension)
Thank you, Zenexer. :)

I'll have the user check his extensions.

We have Taiga Chat 1.4.3. We received the e-mails with the newer update files back in 2015 but are unable to download them because of gmail blocking the files. Now we cannot get ahold of @Luke F. Any other way to get the updates?

This resource has been removed and is no longer available. The following reason was provided:
This resource has been deleted by XenForo Ltd. in line with our resource housekeeping criteria.

Siropu Chat is superior in every way and available for XF2.x
Well i dont agree with that. Taigachat is perfect for the forum im running. Siropu chat may be very nice, but you cant compare these two.Siropu has way too much functions that i not need and dont want.

I hope taigachat will be converted to XF2, because if it isnt, i dont think im gonna upgrade to version 2. there are other forum software options ;-)

Apologies for the temporary deletion, it was an automated process as I had not logged into XF.com. Support continues to be available via PM as always :)

As for a XF 2.0 version, it's something I continue to look into, hesitant considering the amount of work I had to discard when XF released official post ratings

Well i dont agree with that. Taigachat is perfect for the forum im running. Siropu chat may be very nice, but you cant compare these two.Siropu has way too much functions that i not need and dont want.

I hope taigachat will be converted to XF2, because if it isnt, i dont think im gonna upgrade to version 2. there are other forum software options ;-)

To each his own, but having "too many features" doesn't seem like a good argument for not making the switch. How about you just don't use the features you don't need? And even if you don't appreciate some of those features, maybe some of your users will? In any case, seems a bit silly to think of switching to a whole other forum platform if this one addon isn't updated, not when you have a perfectly good alternative. But up to you, of course.

To each his own, but having "too many features" doesn't seem like a good argument for not making the switch. How about you just don't use the features you don't need? And even if you don't appreciate some of those features, maybe some of your users will? In any case, seems a bit silly to think of switching to a whole other forum platform if this one addon isn't updated, not when you have a perfectly good alternative. But up to you, of course.
well i must apologize for that. English is not my native language so i could not find the right words what i mean to say.
This ad-on is something what my users and I realy like and they are not happy if i must switch to another chat. they gonna cut my throat for it (take tis not litteraly) Before Taigachat we have tried a lot of other chat options, but the only one that offers exact what we want is Taigachat. Siropu is not suitable for our needs.

besides that there are some other ad-on's that are not (yet) compatible with XF2.x
So we are not gonna leave Xenforo, we like it very much. But if XF1 comes to end of life and the ad-on's we are using are not available for XF2.x we must consider if XF2.x is the right software for us. Hope you understand what i mean. :)

Im very pleased to hear @Luke F is working on it! No worry's we are patient, no need to rush!

well i must apologize for that. English is not my native language so i could not find the right words what i mean to say.
This ad-on is something what my users and I realy like and they are not happy if i must switch to another chat. they gonna cut my throuth for it (take tis not litteraly) Before Taigachat we have tried a lot of other chat options, but the only one that offers exact what we want is Taigachat. Siropu is not suitable for our needs.

besides that there are some other ad-on's that are not (yet) compatible with XF2.x
So we are not gonna leave Xenforo, we like it very much. But if XF1 comes too end of life and the ad-on's we are using are not available for XF2.x we must consider if XF2.x is the right software for us. Hope you understand what i mean. :)

Im very pleased to hear @Luke F is working on it! No worry's we are patient, no need to rush!
I used Taiga chat for a couple years before switching to Siropu chat and I can honestly say that I never had one person complain. Your experience might be a little different, but I would bet you're over estimating the negative impact. Sometimes you just have to remember who's boss and do what you think is best for your forum. That doesn't mean you don't take your members' opinions into consideration, but you don't want to stay stuck in the past because a relative few people are resistant to change. Despite their griping, most people will adjust to any changes and be alright once they get used to things.

Also, again, I have to say that to me personally it doesn't make much sense to say that you won't use another chat addon because your members might not like the change, but you would consider going to an entirely different forum platfom at some point if the addon is not updated. If you think your members would rebel over a simple chat change, how do you think they might react to moving to an entirely different forum platform that also would not have the same chat (or other addons)....? (Unless of course what you really mean is that you might just stick with XF 1 forever if certain addons are not updated, in which case just disregard this entire paragraph.)

Finally, read again what Luke wrote. He did not say he's working on it. He said "it's something I continue to look into" - meaning he hasn't decided yet whether it's something he will ever start working on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom