Tag Essentials [Deleted]

Just installed (Thanks, super fast delivery timeframe!) A few questions ...
Thanks for your support.

/tags/thread-tags/ is a 404 for me (/tags/ works fine) - have I missed some configuration?
I think it might be the trailing "/". Could you link me to your forum?

I cannot see where to edit tag wiki entries? I've given myself both user group permissions (can watch, edit wiki)
Assuming there aren't any template modification conflicts, you should see it when viewing a specific tag. If you try the default theme and the button is there (next to the breadcrumb up top), then that's the issue.

Where is the ACP "Link that opens a modal with the similar tags and the ability to add more."?
It's in the same modal as the rest of the fields when editing a tag, when you click "Create Tag" (not "Create Tags" as that's the option to create several tags at one time). There's just an additional field for "Synonyms" (as long as you're not editing a tag that's already a synonym of something, then it'll show the "Canonical Tag" instead).

"You can set tags for nodes". Do child node threads created also inherit the default tag(s) assigned on a parent node?
No. Though I can see why maybe it should.

Can the top users tab be deactivated?
Not currently. It wouldn't be tough to add an option for that though.

Suggestions:
  1. Tag categories.
    For example: we could make the tag '4k UHD' a child of the tag 'video quality' and 'video'. The page for '4k UHD' would display: 'Categories: video quality, video'
  2. Filter by content type. Show tabs for 4k UHD media, 4k UHD resources, etc.
    This is great for usability and SEO.
  3. Vaultwiki integration. Insert Vaultwiki into the wiki part. It has XF tags integration and has an easy way to insert wikis.
Thanks for your suggestions,
  1. Would these really do anything or just be additional data when viewing the tag?
  2. I thought about implementing this, it's a good possibility in the future.
  3. I don't have Vault Wiki, but the developer might allow me to get a developer's license for it. I don't want to introduce dependencies but there might be a nice way to toggle between the integrated version and non. This one is probably more unlikely to happen than the other two.

1. By setting parents and children it creates a structure. This can be expanded upon and will prove very useful. In essence it can provide an alternative to forum nodes.
    By showing child tags (which are related tags and therefore relevant SEO content) it becomes possible to start at a concept and then filter down until the appropriate content tag is found. This allows the user to find content even if the user doesn't know the correct tag name. It thereby creates meaningful content links that can be browsed by users and spidered by search engines. Once that exists we can start doing a lot of other interesting things.
  2. This would enhance both functionality and SEO. Tag pages would quickly rank a lot higher in Google.
  3. I am sure that @pegasus will be willing to assist on this. Vaultwiki already offers a lot of functions to cater for this as it has a function to easily insert wiki into other content and can match tags. It should be quick and easy. I will start a conversation about this.

I think it might be the trailing "/". Could you link me to your forum?
https://netrider.net.au/tags/thread-tags or https://netrider.net.au/tags/thread-tags/

Assuming there aren't any template modification conflicts, you should see it when viewing a specific tag. If you try the default theme and the button is there (next to the breadcrumb up top), then that's the issue.
Ahh, I see it now. Doesn't use the same css/style as the 'Post New Thread' button so didn't stand out at all and is quite transparent compared to my page background. Suggest it use the same 'CallToAction' css/style as for post new thread.

No. Though I can see why maybe it should.
Yes please (suggestion for next version). Thread tags from node default should inherit from parent nodes.

Does that tag exist/have any content? XenForo throws a 404 error when the tag doesn't exist.
https://xenforo.com/community/tags/this-cant-be-real or https://xenforo.com/community/tags/this-cant-be-real/

Ahh, I see it now. Doesn't use the same css/style as the 'Post New Thread' button so didn't stand out at all and is quite transparent compared to my page background. Suggest it use the same 'CallToAction' css/style as for post new thread.
Good call, I'll edit for the next release.

Yes please (suggestion for next version). Thread tags from node default should inherit from parent nodes.
Noted.

Daniel Hood updated Tag Essentials with a new update entry:

• Tag Cloud
    • Added a tag cloud above the thread list when viewing a forum. The tag cloud only represents tags used within that node (and the amount of times they were used). When a tag is clicked from within the list, it searches only uses within that forum. There is an option to disable this.
  • Default Tags (For Nodes)
    • The default tag functionality has been changed to include the default tags set on parent nodes. This functionality adds an...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Daniel Hood updated Tag Essentials with a new update entry:
  • Tag Cloud
    • Added a tag cloud above the thread list when viewing a forum. The tag cloud only represents tags used within that node (and the amount of times they were used). When a tag is clicked from within the list, it searches only uses within that forum. There is an option to disable this.
This doesn't work for me. When I activate in in ACP, the top of the forum list shows the tag cloud. But when I click on a tag within the tag cloud I get zero search results.

I'm really excited with your addon and I think I'll use it.
But I was worried that it might conflict with other addon like Meta ******* Essentials. I've used "Tinhte Xentag" but to remove as incompatible.

I don't use or really attempt to support ******* add-ons. I don't see why it would conflict but there's no telling.

This doesn't work for me. When I activate in in ACP, the top of the forum list shows the tag cloud. But when I click on a tag within the tag cloud I get zero search results.
I have no idea why that would happen. Does it happen with every tag or just a few specific ones? Is there content in the node that is tagged with that or should the tag not be showing in the cloud?

Loving it. Review posted :)

You know what would be really cool... To be able to go back and batch update threads to use tags that are in their titles. So for example I could search for all threads posted in the past month, and assign tags to them as if they were posted now with the add-on installed (automatically, based on the thread title words). Does that make sense? I know batch update is possible now, but looks like I have to manually plug in each tag.

You know what would be really cool... To be able to go back and batch update threads to use tags that are in their titles. So for example I could search for all threads posted in the past month, and assign tags to them as if they were posted now with the add-on installed (automatically, based on the thread title words). Does that make sense? I know batch update is possible now, but looks like I have to manually plug in each tag.

That would be pretty awesome.

This is a feature @Stuart Wright and I have considered. The problem though is that sometimes there are bad tags. You could have a very basic word like "New" in a lot of thread titles and one person adds it as a tag to a thread today, then you run the rebuild functionality and it'd tag every thread as "new" that has "new" (or whatever common word, you get the point) in the title. Then "new" is your biggest word in the tag cloud. Granted you could use other tools to remove that tag from all content but still, there's some kinks. I might include it as a function and just have a disclaimer on the page that you may end up with some unwanted results and the steps to fix it. We'll see, I'm not sure when I'd get to that as it will take a decent amount of time and I have a lot of other stuff to work on at the moment.

This is a feature @Stuart Wright and I have considered. The problem though is that sometimes there are bad tags. You could have a very basic word like "New" in a lot of thread titles and one person adds it as a tag to a thread today, then you run the rebuild functionality and it'd tag every thread as "new" that has "new" (or whatever common word, you get the point) in the title. Then "new" is your biggest word in the tag cloud. Granted you could use other tools to remove that tag from all content but still, there's some kinks. I might include it as a function and just have a disclaimer on the page that you may end up with some unwanted results and the steps to fix it. We'll see, I'm not sure when I'd get to that as it will take a decent amount of time and I have a lot of other stuff to work on at the moment.

Ok no worries, I think you're right - it'd end up creating some big problems :)

Without a doubt the most needed tag related feature I need right now is improvements to the admin tag manager. It needs to remember the filter, sort order and current page between actions.
We have nearly 30 pages of tags and I'm having to regularly delete bad tags (like adjectives).
We absolutely need the ability to block frequently added crap tags.
Tags like gray, 16gb, boxed and new.

Last edited:
Without a doubt the most needed tag related feature I need right now is improvements to the admin tag manager. It needs to remember the filter, sort order and current page between actions.
We have nearly 30 pages of tags and I'm having to regularly delete bad tags (like adjectives).
Just wait until you have 800 pages. It will grow fast enough... Then you simply cant review and prune it anymore.
Restricting low ranking members from adding new tags to the database helps a lot.
A function to report tags helps as well.

Is it possible with this addons to give only admins the possibilty to create new tags?
Can't that be done without any add-ons by using the "Tag content" permission? I don't have the admin panel open but I recall that being a permission.

That really seems like more of a bug with XenForo and hard to implement as an add-on, I'll look to see if it's possible though.
Tags like gray, 16gb, boxed and new.
I'll take a look and see how possible it'll be to extend the "validTag" function. If it's possible, it should be easy to inject a check against a db list of words to stop.

Just wait until you have 800 pages. It will grow fast enough... Then you simply cant review and prune it anymore.
Feel free to post suggestions of tools that would come in handy for helping with that.

A function to report tags helps as well.
That should not be too hard to implement.

Top Bottom