• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Lack of interest [Suggestions] Attachments Permissions

Shelley

It be nice to see the option for attachments (images) uploaded and displayed in posts 100% of there size to guests but still restrict guests from downloading attachments. Atm, they are only getting a fraction of the size set preview and I'd like them to have a 100% but not have downloading permissions. Hopefully that made sense. Thankyou.

If this has already been requested feel free in merging this to the related thread.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
This has been raised before and the issue is the permissions system is binary - so all attachments are treated the same, whether they be images, zip files, etc.

I can't remember if Mike ever said it was something that was going to change, I'll see if I can find the post...

Edit: Here's the post (in pre-sales) but there's no mention of it changing http://xenforo.com/community/threads/allow-us-to-see-attached-images.7442/#post-104961

Shelley

This has been raised before and the issue is the permissions system is binary - so all attachments are treated the same, whether they be images, zip files, etc.

I can't remember if Mike ever said it was something that was going to change, I'll see if I can find the post...

Edit: Here's the post (in pre-sales) but there's no mention of it changing http://xenforo.com/community/threads/allow-us-to-see-attached-images.7442/#post-104961
That's a shame. Hopefully, they'll re-think this sometime in the future. Thanks for the quick reply.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Sorry, I didn't mean they had refused to do it, just that it hadn't explicitly been mentioned, other than the reference to technical limitations.

Shelley

Sorry, I didn't mean they had refused to do it, just that it hadn't explicitly been mentioned, other than the reference to technical limitations.
Ah I see. While the thread is active somewhat, I've not looked into it much but could images be view 100% by guests by applying some css? I couldn't seen anything that would make this work but then as stated before I haven't spent much time pursuing the matter.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
The problem is the full size images are in the internal_data directory which is php protected and linked to the permissions, so that's not possible.