1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest [Suggestion] Merge Like and Quote?

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by James, Sep 21, 2010.

1. James

James Well-Known Member

To minimise the amount of notifications received, why not merge the Like and Quote if they are related to the same Post ID?
    [​IMG]

End result:
    {Name} liked and quoted your post in the thread {thread}.

Shanj likes this.
  2. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

I'm not supporting this. I like the way its been implemented right now.

Darkimmortal and TrixieTang like this.
  3. James

James Well-Known Member

I'm curious, for what reason? :)

4. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

I like to keep track of each instance and when.... ;)

5. James

James Well-Known Member

Fair point :p I was just thinking to minimise notifications. If you're logging on to 60-70 notifications and only 30-35 of them are actually notifications you can reply to (quoted posts/replies to thread), it looks a lot and it isn't quite as much.

6. anotheralias

anotheralias Well-Known Member

I think it's a good idea in theory, but the fact is that I like seeing all the alerts. I'm just a Pavlov Alert Dog at this point.

(Maybe I would feel differently about it if I were getting hundreds of alerts like you apparently are, Mr. Popularity.) :D

James likes this.
  7. James

James Well-Known Member

Let me know when the alerts bore you and you start to Ctrl + F on your alerts list to find alerts that don't include Like ;)

There's quite a few things you could do to minimise the alerts, such as merging alerts to do with the same posts (User X, User Y and User Z liked your post {post}). I'll have to create some modifications I expect :D

Shanj likes this.
  8. anotheralias

Hey, I'm not the one with the "who liked me and what awards I got" siggy, I just like seeing the alerts. :) Also, I don't have them enabled for new posts or watched threads, so I don't get all that many.

James likes this.
  9. James

James Well-Known Member

I have to fill my sig with something! To be completely honest I don't second-glance at it, but fair point ;)

10. Booth

Booth Well-Known Member

We need a "throw egg at" option on user profiles. Just so that we get an alert saying... "X threw an egg right in your face!"

11. anotheralias

Hey, it's better than "please Like my post" or one of those. Heh.

James likes this.
  12. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

13. James

James Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not talking about them boring me personally. I was just stating. I personally have no issue with regard to the current way it's done, I just feel alerts relating to a post should be grouped together for easier viewing - but that's just me!

14. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Alerts are generated as the action is taken so to merge a like and a quote, the code would have to revisit the alerts and merge any that fit the criteria.

That would be a lot of overhead.

Darkimmortal likes this.