1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestion: let us change our user titles when we hit 1500 posts.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by anotheralias, Feb 4, 2011.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could change our own titles after 1500 posts?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
  2. No

13 vote(s)
  1. anotheralias

anotheralias Well-Known Member

Once we get to 1000 there isn't much left in the way of juicy titles. They're all just some variation of, you post a lot. 1500 -- even better known! 2000 -- known bigtime! 5000 -- known squared! and so on. If you see what I mean.

Being able to change our title would be a much better incentive to keep posting, instead of slacking off with a few Likes and the occasional random comment. Don't you think?
  2. Floris

Floris Guest

I don't think it's needed. People will be abusing it, etc.
  3. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

I'm not to fussed about how this poll swings. The benefits I find about not having the abilty in editing posts is that in entices you to be more thoughtful in what to title that post. The amount of "sloppy" titles I've seen on other forums due to people just wanting to write and get their post submit normally results in sloppy titles.

If I wish for a title change I'll report the post and ask for an edit which each and every time I've requested has been done fast by a member of staff.
  4. Sador

Sador Well-Known Member

I think he meant having a custom title, rather than 'Well-Known Member' and such.

In theory, I'd agree, because it's nice to be able to change it. However, I don't feel like spamming and it will be abused by people. Besides, this is a company forum..
  5. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

I don't see what is so wrong with being able to have a custom user title. Anyone who abuses it can easily have that permission revoked.
  6. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

The thread title is misleading - despite saying "thread", I think the OP is referring to Member Title (under username on left) - which is something I think would be useful (for us board owners to be able to offer to our members) but maybe not so useful for xF company forums (due to being open to abuse and/or adding to the moderators duties).

Shaun :D
  7. anotheralias

Damn, I am never starting another thread - for some reason my brain just goes on vacation while I'm typing the title. EVERY TIME. I meant, change the titles under our usernames. Not, change our thread titles. And, after 1500 posts - which ought to cut down on the abuse factor.

(Although ironically, this thread makes a good case for why we should be able to change our own thread titles. But I'm not ever starting another thread anyway, so I don't care.)
    Dragonfly likes this.
  8. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I'll edit the thread title.
    Vincent likes this.
  9. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

If it were thread titles it would be cool, but user titles? No.

People will start with the "ME SO AWESOME" stuff and that ruines the forums in my eyes.
  10. jmurrayhead

I agree. Sure, it's a business forum, but it's still a community. Let us have our fun while we handle business.
  11. jmurrayhead

If you let something like that ruin the forum for you, then you have issues other than people having custom user titles.
    Dragonfly likes this.
  12. Vincent

Ruin might be a little bit much, but it's unpleasent I think.
    It's good as it is for me.
  13. anotheralias

I don't see how that's any different from the variations of "ME SO AWESOME" in sigs.
    Dragonfly and jmurrayhead like this.
  14. Vincent

Signatures can be disabled :)
  15. jmurrayhead

I just don't see how a small piece of text under a member's username can make it unpleasant. We already have a few special cases of those who have been allowed a custom title. In all honesty, the thing that ruins forums for me is when it's under such tight moderation.
    Couldn't agree more. In fact, there is more "spam" in signatures than there would be in user titles. Might as well take that away from us, too.
  16. Vincent

Hey, that's just my opinion. Yours can be different...
    I'm just saying that I'd never do such things on my forums, but it's still up to Mike'n Kier.
  17. jmurrayhead

Yes, I understand that. Wasn't trying to imply that you don't have a right to state yours :)

Indeed, still up to Mike'n Kier :)
    Vincent likes this.
  18. anotheralias

We can't disable avatars, and we can choose those. And so far as I can recall, nobody has abused that.
    Vincent likes this.
  19. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Good idea :) one that is pretty common on even the strictest Tech sites, after a certain amount of posts there are a few rewards, one of which is often the ability to give yourself a custom Title.
    Garamond and jmurrayhead like this.
  20. dieketzer

dieketzer Well-Known Member

if custom user titles were enabled, how would we determine who was 'in' and who wasnt?
    jmurrayhead likes this.