1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented [Suggestion] Conversation titles needs a tooltip showing recipients

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by AndyB, Aug 20, 2010.

1. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

When I click the Inbox located in the Navbar, I'm presented with a short list of recent Private Conversations. I would like to be able to see who the recipient(s) are when I hover over the Private Conversation Title.

2. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

Currently we can see the number of participants, but not who they are, without opening up the conversation.

3. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

After you click the "Show All..." button yes you can see the number of participants, but that page also needs to show who the participate(s) are.

Peggy and James like this.
  4. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

I am not sure what the best implementation is, but yes there does need to be a way of showing who the conversation is with. Right now I have a list of PCs listed and if I am the originator, and the last respondent, there is no indication at all who the PC is with. The only way to keep track at the moment is with descriptive PC titles.

A tool tip showing at least the first few (5?) people in the PC would be ideal.

5. Edrondol

Edrondol Well-Known Member

Okay, I know this is "not a bug" but when you read it I think you'll see what I mean.

Here's the post from my user:

Most of the time this won't be an issue, but as we have some D&D games, Secret Santa, etc. it does come into play.

Thoughts?

6. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

7. Edrondol

You are a freaking encyclopedia. I'll look at them and see.

Edit: The latter is exactly what we're looking for. I figured that this would be a bigger feature. Thanks, merge, lock or make disappear this thread and I'll start watching that one.

Kaiser likes this.
  8. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

Sure is[​IMG]

9. Brogan

I've merged them :)

10. Edrondol

Again, they should change you from XenMod to Xencyclopedia.

Brett Peters likes this.
  11. Shadab

Shadab Well-Known Member

Something like... ?
    (Already coded. Think I need a better layout, though.)

Preview_Tooltip_for_Conversations.png

12. kilcher

kilcher Active Member

If someone replies to a conversation their avatar/name shows up but if they don't there's no way of telling (as far as I can tell) who a conversation was sent to.

For instance, with one of my smaller forums I've been trying to welcome everyone new I see post. I have 20 conversations that say "Welcome!" for the subject, have my avatar and my name, but from the main conversation page there's no way of telling who they were sent to. Would be nice if the recipient's name were somehow incorporated into that page without them having to reply first.

13. Brogan

14. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Well... no [​IMG]. And yes [​IMG]. I wouldn't put the names there, because people expect a preview there, just like they are used to on threads. If a popup implementation like this would be considered, then the popup should be triggered by the 'Participants: x' - field, that is more logical/consistent.

15. Shadab

Shadab Well-Known Member

Even though the "Participants: x" location is the most logical location for linking to the participant list, it's not really forthcoming. It would be just like the "Replies: x" field on forumdisplay in vBulletin. Not many users know you can click the reply count to get a complete list of users who have posted in that thread.

16. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree with that.

17. kforo

kforo Active Member

As of now, all it shows is:

the last person who replied,
    who started it,
    a title.

Almost every conversation has been started by me, last post by me, and some random title. To find info into which conversation I'm looking for, I have to click into almost every one to see which one I was actually looking for.

Can something be added to show the participants of the conversation - like where my avatar is always showing by itself? So it'd show the two account names/avatars, or anything to help show which conversation I'm looking for easier? The current setup seems like it could be made easier by adding the names somehow. Screen to show example of what I mean :conversation page

[​IMG]

Digital Doctor likes this.
  18. Brogan

kforo likes this.
  19. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Understand the situation completely. I am quickly learning that descriptive titles make a huge amount of usability difference. In addition to this specific issue, it helps when the notification emails arrives, because that contains the title also.

Also, when viewing the Personal Conversation page, I can use the browser to search the thread titles (control-F).
    Control-F search for keyword in title, next page, repeat.

20. Business Coach

Business Coach Active Member

since "conversations" replaces the "private message" of most forums..this is an essential feature