1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stick a fork in me.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Pope Viper, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Pope Viper

Pope Viper Well-Known Member

I'm done with VB. The actions of the past few days, the introduction of yet ANOTHER "premium" mod that none that I know of asked for, minimal focus on the core project have pushed me over the edge.

I'm going to wait for 1.1 to come out, make all the graphics/template/add on changes, then pull the trigger. I was lacking an arcade, but at this point I don't feel it's worth the effort, and folks can wait.

I'll probably be pestering folks more so I can get things prepped as quickly as possible. I appreciate any help you fine folks can give me.

jgas, Saeed, borbole and 7 others like this.
  2. Edrondol

Edrondol Well-Known Member

Is that the mobile or something else?

Never mind. You are probably talking about the Facebook thing, yes?

3. Pope Viper

Yep. Screw the core product, let's make more add ons.

Eff 'em.

4. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't know what to think of the facebook thing - I thought they've been doing it for quite some time, what makes this different? o_O

I just read the blog post, and I have to say; I understand your frustration. They're adding more features to the "product" than actually improving the software. Most of the features are all about pushing content into facebook, and then the fanpage.

But again, it's pretty much the same thing that we've known for a while - and for them to "introduce" these features seems a little, too late. Most of the "steps" to advertise your forum is already on the internet, and marketers advise you to use the tactics vBulletin is "fixing" to treat your forum as a "help" service. Which in itself is a bad idea.

Why? Because this means "less work" for the webmaster. And even it they employ these tactics, it still doesn't help. vB4's problems is all around SEO. Not even vb4's Facebook features as it is right now....will work.

Fix the SEO, then introduce this feature. THEN everyone's happy, other than that. Shoot yourself in the foot.

Steve Machol likes this.
  5. Edrondol

Oh, and an arcade is coming closed beta as early as next week. ;)

You should check out www.xfarcade.com for news & stuff. I'm even compiling a list of game places and will keep it up to date with not only where to find games but what steps you need to do to integrate them into the XF Arcade.

6. Pope Viper

Yep, I'm on there. If that XFA is that close to beta, I've got even more of push to go.

Oh, and as for games, I've got about 7000, if anyone is interested. :p

7. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Steve says he is hard at work on it. :) The first few betas will be private but, yes, it is coming. I put the challenge out there for coders to take on the project and the project is going forward.

Brandon Sheley, Alien and Shelley like this.
  8. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Is this really the appropriate forum for subject matter?

9. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

You are questioning somebody saying that they've made the decision to migrate to XF?

Your choice of responses, at times, is often puzzling.

John likes this.
  10. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

No, as in is it really the appropriate forum to discuss vBulletin + Facebook.

11. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Seeing as how that was what led the OP to make his decision to migrate to XF, then, yes, that bit of information would be a bit pertinent to the discussion.

12. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I don't feel that it is necessary to talk further about vBulletin, because the thread could potentially become another vBulletin flame war.

13. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

I didn't realize you are now a XF moderator! Feel free to clean up the post as you feel.

Brandon Sheley and borbole like this.
  14. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I just don't want the thread to be closed on that ground.

15. ChemicalKicks

ChemicalKicks Well-Known Member

Just do what I did for the "integrated arcade" on my Xenforo site, links in sig :D

16. Edrondol

Can't. No vB to make an arcade framework.

17. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Geez. Pipe down.

18. ChemicalKicks

You don't have to use vBulletin. There are arcade mods available for other platforms, I just did a quick Google for phpBB and found one in the top results.

19. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Psst. phpbb sucks. :whistle:

20. ChemicalKicks

Coolio why don't you recommend some good free ones for the OP :)