sonnb - XenGallery (XenForo Gallery) [Deleted]

Does anyone have suggestions on how I might be able to export the data and images or whatever I may need to do in order to import it later into another solution? I need to upgrade to XF2 and this is the only thing holding me back right now...

It seems that Sonnb is back again. At least he updated some of his other addons for XF2.x and he is also now more regularly in his own support forum: http://www.sonnb.com/

I hope that he will communicate soon what we can expect from his Gallery addon for xenforo 2.x

But for sure this gallery addon for XF1.5x is not further developed anymore because of obvious reasons (end of life of XF 1.5x)

Just go in his support forum and ask him.

Son, have you considered instead of building a completely different add on, instead expanding and adding features to the XF core media gallery?

Adding the things that made yours great like the feature rich lightbox, masonry view, easier quick upload capability, media map etc?

You might have a larger market for the add on this way, as people won't then have to decide between two completely separate add ons.

Although at first sight this seems to be a good idea, I have to say I find it better, if there are two competing gallery products out there. This is better for us, because tehy compete in price and in features.

So far, both available gallery addons had a very different approach and a very different target group because of their features and layout.

I like the idea that competition helps to improve products. Who is motivated to improve your own product, if there would be no competition?

The XF team needs their ressources for Xenforo and the ressource manager. They can not be good at everything, if there are not enough people to develop it. I would rather see improvemenst on the xenforo forum side, if there are alternatives for a gallery out there.

sonnb has one core product (Sonnb Gallery) and a few other addons which are not that demanding to update. So he can focus on his core product better than XF is able to focus on its MediaGallery, which is an adon on the "sideline". And the price of Sonnb is also significant cheaper. If you run more than one forum, this adds up...

But Xenforo could also hire Sonnb and include him in its team and merge both galleries. Now that would be a home-run...

Posts from June 2018:
Do you still plan to dev XG for xf2?
Yes of course I do. I am working on it just a bit slowly due to time management.

Perhaps poor time management.

Posts from Feb 2019:
Sorry for all for the absence. I got a health issue so could not work on the code for almost 2 months and more.

So what is the excuse now? Why not just make an announcement that you are not supporting this in 2.0 instead of leaving everyone on the hook?

Last edited:
And then people wonder why developers leave the XF community. 🤔🤔
He's been gone over a year, long before valid complaints were voiced. Then returned for a brief stint with the typical excuses I've heard over the years from programmers, i.e. was in the hospital, internet was out, typhoon, I've heard all the excuses. It's like a broken record. Definitely a cultural thing. As you can see, we still don't have the release for XF 2.x or an acknowledgement that he has no intentions of doing it. Thankfully XF stepped in and made an importer.

And then people wonder why developers leave the XF community. 🤔🤔
I think so to. Every body think, hey I payed money and the developer is now my own and has to do all I want.

He's been gone over a year, long before valid complaints were voiced. Then returned for a brief stint with the typical excuses I've heard over the years from programmers, i.e. was in the hospital, internet was out, typhoon, I've heard all the excuses. It's like a broken record. Definitely a cultural thing. As you can see, we still don't have the release for XF 2.x or an acknowledgement that he has no intentions of doing it. Thankfully XF stepped in and made an importer.
And what have you do for the Xenforo community? Sorry that I ask you, but I didn't see any work of you.

Reactions: Zig
Maybe this is futile but I am late upgrading my Xenforo 1.5 to the latest version. The last version of Xengallery I had was 2.5.5... is that still the latest version? If I upgrade from 1.5.12 to 1.5.20 will Xengallery stop working?

Maybe this is futile but I am late upgrading my Xenforo 1.5 to the latest version. The last version of Xengallery I had was 2.5.5... is that still the latest version? If I upgrade from 1.5.12 to 1.5.20 will Xengallery stop working?

Nevermind, I found my way to the site eventually and then spent way too long trying to figure out how to get the newest version before I figured out I had to re-activate the license... hope it works with the latest version

I think no. There is nothing to see or hear that saya me a other answer like this. Its a shame... :(

FYI

Sonnb is back in his own forum again and released already updates for one of his addons. The topic about a new version of XenGallery for XF 2.1x was also discussed in his own support forum.

But since this is the support thread for the no longer maintained/supported version of XF 1.5x, we should wait until he opens a new thread for the new version, which will be then compatible with XF 2.1x (but of course not for 1.5x).

FYI

Sonnb is back in his own forum again and released already updates for one of his addons. The topic about a new version of XenGallery for XF 2.1x was also discussed in his own support forum.

But since this is the support thread for the no longer maintained/supported version of XF 1.5x, we should wait until he opens a new thread for the new version, which will be then compatible with XF 2.1x (but of course not for 1.5x).
I will post an update later today to fix an security issue. Actually bug fixes are still supported.

Top Bottom