sonnb - XenGallery (XenForo Gallery) [Deleted]

The problem is that the other alternative, XenMediaGallery, is by far not as mich developed if you need a gallery for a photography oriented forums. XMG is too basic. And I do not see any progress regarding more photography oriented features.
And it got worse with XF2 with many options simply removed in the new version for whatever reason.

I think its going the same way as photo contest addon by Luqman (that worked a long period after he let it fall, but now with newer php and mysql its broken and work not anymore for me. Thats terrible - this way we lose more and more people to social media sites without any chance to do anything.

At the point with the photo contest trouble, I now have to go parallel with Wordpress and a nice plugin for photo contests. Xenforo does not have this feature anymore.

For me, there is a mismatch. Since Xenforo 2.x we have less key-addons now and the old one makes more and more trouble with newer server software versions. Man ... what a ... :(
This is the main reason I did not upgrade to xenforo 2 because of the add-ons I invested in. Most of them have not returned to the xenforo platform. It is just a lot to deal with when it comes to dealing with a brand new xenforo platform and the internet evolving so much over time , and the money spent on the old platform. Nothing I can do but wait for developers to bring back the add-on we love if they are still around.

Does anyone know if we can import the photos from XenGallery to XenForo Media Gallery? This sucks that this guy went AWOL on us and left us hanging.

With regards to importers, we (XenForo) have decided that we're not going to officially support a sonnb XenGallery importer going forward (and the same applies to any other <XF add-on> to XFMG importers that we had). We have no interest in trying to "take customers" from non-official add-ons.

However, I appreciate this is going to be problematic for some. Especially if you decided to upgrade to XF2 without realising that there was no longer a migration path available.

The next version of XenForo Media Gallery is going to include some importers. So if you're coming to us from vBulletin, IPS, Photopost etc. then finally you will be able to just do that straight into XF2 without going via XF1 first.

But, as I mentioned, that doesn't include sonnb XenGallery.

But I have a solution!

Although we're not going to be officially supporting a sonnb to XFMG importer, I have actually written one, and it will be released as a separate add-on. Aside from basic fixes to ensure it works, we won't be able to provide much (if any) support for it. There may also be some gaps because the importer was created and tested with a fairly old version of the sonnb XenGallery add-on that I have from years ago, and it likely doesn't take into account the additional functionality from the video upload add-on.

Regardless, I will be releasing that for free shortly after the release of XFMG 2.1.1 (no ETA yet).

In the future should @sonnb resume his work on an XF2 version of his gallery, then I'm sure he will provide a migration path from XFMG, and he would of course be more than welcome to do that. In fact, if he does come back, we would even consider deleting the importer. The only intention here is to ensure that our existing mutual customers are not stuck in some limbo.

We have no interest in trying to "take customers" from non-official add-ons.
This makes no sense to me! The guy abandoned the add on, it's unsupported. He told people he was going to have a release/update last Fall for XF 2.0 and never did. You don't owe him anything and you are not competing with someone who's not supporting their product. Your loyalty needs to be with your customers, not developers who make false promises and abandon software. Thanks.

:rolleyes:

First, the statement was a general one, as it applies equally to importers from add-ons that still exist, and are well supported. Second, I'm trying to show good faith to @sonnb so that we aren't totally removing any motivation to carry on with an XF2 version if he still wants to.

If we weren't putting our customers first, then we wouldn't be providing a solution at all, would we?

While I prefer XenGallery over the official add-on I agree with the decision made by XF team about convertors. What I don't agree is that the XF team has no interest making the XenMedia Gallery a real competitor for this add-on... (just imho, no intentions to be controversial with this reply)
I'd like to upgrade to XF 2.1 and use the new features, but I'm stuck at 1.5.x for this add-on :( I also spent diffrent hours to translate most part of this gallery into my language, while the official one is already translated.

This isn't really a topic for today but while we understand there are certainly people who prefer how this gallery does things, we also have a healthy customer base who like how XFMG does things, some of whom prefer how XFMG does things over how XG does things. I know this because people have told us that, and many years ago it seemed there was just as many people leaving XG to come to what was then XMG as there were leaving XMG to go to XG.

That's another reason why we have no interest in competing (if it comes back) because it is good for people to have a choice.

Broadly speaking though, there isn't really much difference in how the galleries are structured and the featureset (where it matters). If there is significant features you feel are missing from XFMG, we'll only know about that if a suggestion has been posted in the appropriate forum.

But, as I said, that's not a conversation to have here. Just letting people know who are maybe waiting for a migration path who have already upgraded to XF 2.x that there will indeed be one soon.

Second, I'm trying to show good faith to @sonnb so that we aren't totally removing any motivation to carry on with an XF2 version if he still wants to.
Thanks for providing a solution Chris. @sonnb has not been seen here or on his website since 11/2018. I don't know if anyone has considered this, but it's a possibility he died or is in jail. I've seen this happen more than once in my 20+ years doing website design. Once someone disappears and stops responding to support requests for 4 months, they are no longer considered competition. He stated the update would be available Q3/Q4 last year and we are past Q1 of 2019. Thanks for your help.

This is an issue that is preventing many of your customers from upgrading to the latest version of XF. According to other users who posted above, at some point you had an importer built into XFMG ,and withdrew that feature at some point.

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone has considered this, but it's a possibility he died or is in jail.
It's said to say but yes could be a possibility. I hope it's not the case and he is fine. :( His domain sonnb.com was renewed a few days ago, who knows maybe he will be back. I'll wait a couple of months then I will upgrade to XF 2.1 + XMG. Not the gallery I prefer but at least we have an alternative solution and an easy way to migrate.

Just as a tip, to end speculation on that, he has been active within the last 6 weeks because if he hadn't then this resource will have been deleted automatically by now.

Top Bottom