sonnb - Stop Spam Here [Deleted]

I'm so convicted that this modification makes up the logs because this is a ridiculous amount of spam that has tried to sign up since installing this yesterday!

This denies them before either recaptcha or Q/A challenge so it's possible that some of them wouldn't have made it through to a full registration but the bots are always getting smarter and cracking captchas.

Since I've installed KeyCaptcha, I got 0 spambots. It makes Stop Spam Here a bit useless now :D but it's still enabled and I like to have 2 protections. It will be probably useful if the bot is human.

This denies them before either recaptcha or Q/A challenge so it's possible that some of them wouldn't have made it through to a full registration but the bots are always getting smarter and cracking captchas.
Why I don't like Solve Media and hard to trust others.

7q4Xj.png

Haha, I'll pass :p It is just so crazy that I haven't had this before!

Sometime you would surprise with the thing that your stuffs can do ;)

Since I've installed KeyCaptcha, I got 0 spambots. It makes Stop Spam Here a bit useless now :D but it's still enabled and I like to have 2 protections. It will be probably useful if the bot is human.
Actually it is not. Stop Spam Here would check for the bot before any action so only if the bots were not processed by Stop Spam Here, the KeyCaptcha would take action.

Really ? So, suddenly no more spambots, it's quite odd. Oh well, I won't complain to not having some of them, but it's surprising. :P

Actually it is not. Stop Spam Here would check for the bot before any action so only if the bots were not processed by Stop Spam Here, the KeyCaptcha would take action.

Actually, you're wrong. :p
Tried to disable KeyCaptcaha for one hour, and 2 bots have been found by your add-on.

You said you would check before any action, but after the bot validates the form, right ?
It seems captcha takes place before your add-on, and I can say it : KeyCaptcha (or others with similar approach) is very effective and makes your add-on a bit less useful in this situation.
But it's still worth to use it against human bot and even normal users (link check, etc.). Double protection is not that bad. :D

So how does this Akismet work? There isn't much information on their website about it. If you make it check every new thread, new post, profile post, etc. are all of those resulting in API queries? If so, why not make an option to check posts only based on a users post count? Surely the new spammers wouldn't have any posts so if you set it to <3, then you won't have as many hits, especially if you are a big forum like mine...which looking at the API queries, I would have to get the enterprise package x2. But if I could set it to only check those with <3 posts, I'm sure I can fit into the Pro package and save myself a LOT of money by the end of the year. Any way I can get this requested?

Also, I noticed that you have an option to mark the spammer as discouraged. Wouldn't it be smart to have User + IP for discouraged? Or just IP as well?

Sorry for all the questions but I have another. How does the check link work? Since users regularly post links, wouldn't it be smart to add a field for spammy website links to block? Or would you consider that to be used in the "keyword checking" options? Or are all of these apart of the Akismet portion of the modification? It looked separate so I wasn't sure...but in your description here for the mod looks like it is apart of akismet.

Thanks for the great modification :)

So how does this Akismet work? There isn't much information on their website about it. If you make it check every new thread, new post, profile post, etc. are all of those resulting in API queries? If so, why not make an option to check posts only based on a users post count? Surely the new spammers wouldn't have any posts so if you set it to <3, then you won't have as many hits, especially if you are a big forum like mine...which looking at the API queries, I would have to get the enterprise package x2. But if I could set it to only check those with <3 posts, I'm sure I can fit into the Pro package and save myself a LOT of money by the end of the year. Any way I can get this requested?

Screenshot from 2012-10-19 18:53:08.webp

Also, I noticed that you have an option to mark the spammer as discouraged. Wouldn't it be smart to have User + IP for discouraged? Or just IP as well?

Sorry for all the questions but I have another. How does the check link work? Since users regularly post links, wouldn't it be smart to add a field for spammy website links to block? Or would you consider that to be used in the "keyword checking" options? Or are all of these apart of the Akismet portion of the modification? It looked separate so I wasn't sure...but in your description here for the mod looks like it is apart of akismet.

Thanks for the great modification :)

Currently it only discourages user, since with the same user could be logged-in for different IP and since IP could be faked, it is quite dangerous if we discourage the IPs.

The link check is not used for all the case but useful if you want to check for them in special place like: PC, About Me... where the spammers like to use the links inside their posts. The popular spam contents would be caught by Akismet so it is unnecessary to input the spammy website.

Registration checking, link checking, keyword checking... are all apart from Akismet.

Currently it only discourages user, since with the same user could be logged-in for different IP and since IP could be faked, it is quite dangerous if we discourage the IPs.

The link check is not used for all the case but useful if you want to check for them in special place like: PC, About Me... where the spammers like to use the links inside their posts. The popular spam contents would be caught by Akismet so it is unnecessary to input the spammy website.

Registration checking, link checking, keyword checking... are all apart from Akismet.
Thank you :)

Not at all.
Checking all is better.
I do NOT check on username since some usernames are common and are easy false positives.

Not at all.
Checking all is better.
I do NOT check on username since some usernames are common and are easy false positives.
That was addressed since 1.1.8, the username must be found together with email or IP in order to be marked as spammer.

Just curious - can I use this add-on with multiple sites from a single purchase - or must I buy it for each site I used it at?

Thanks,
Shaun :D

Hello Shaun,

Thanks for interesting. Single Purchase is valid for one public domain only. For addition domains, you must purchase more license, although I could not handle this but I am appreciate our customers to purchase based on their number of domains.

We have several customers that purchase for 2, 3 and 4 additional domains.

Hello Shaun,

Thanks for interesting. Single Purchase is valid for one public domain only. For addition domains, you must purchase more license, although I could not handle this but I am appreciate our customers to purchase based on their number of domains.

We have several customers that purchase for 2, 3 and 4 additional domains.

That's absolutely fine - it's your add-on and entirely your choice as to how you want to license/sell it - I just wanted to double-check before purchasing as it's a bigger financial prospect to cover all 8 sites than just a single one.

I expect I'll buy one and if it works in cutting down the spam to a good degree I'll buy it for the remaining sites.

Many thanks,
Shaun :D

Here's my idea of community-based moderation that could eliminate SPAM.

It's for approving the posts of new users. It would be done by the community, not the moderators. Essentially the SPAM moderation queue would be public (with permissions).
http://xenforo.com/community/thread...ost-as-spam-workflow.35720/page-2#post-436802
I have replied there. IMO, It should be a separated addon rather than integrated to Stop Spam Here because it has more specific targets. Thanks for your suggestion :)

I have a question.

What does this mod do exactly if you don't add the other free mods that are suggested?

What does this mod alone do to make it worth $15?
How well does it work without the free mods listed above?

Thanks

Top Bottom