Social Status Updater [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
Chris Deeming submitted a new resource:

Social Status Updater (version 1.0) - Allow your users to post their XenForo status updates to their Facebook and Twitter.

The Social Status Updater allows your users to link their Facebook and Twitter accounts to their XenForo accounts.

Once linked, the user can have the option to post their XenForo status update to Facebook and Twitter.

This provides even more reason for them to interact with your site, makes it easier for them to interact with their other services and promote your site in the process.

Here's an image walkthrough of the process:

Account Preferences
View attachment 34184...

Read more about this resource...

Very nice.

One suggestion. If this is activated, wouldn't it make sense to make the maximum status length shorter by how ever many characters you add on with your site name to avoid any cut offs?

I thought about this... There were three options:

1) Trim
2) Have the via text pre-populated in the status field
3) Reduce max limit

I went with 1. Obviously the problem with number 2 is the user could just delete it. The only problem with number 3 is that there is no limit on Facebook so the Facebook post will always be complete so we'd be restricting people's Facebook statuses unnecessarily.

I do like number 3 as an option... Maybe I will configure different behaviours as an admin option.

The feeling is mutual :D I already love what I read and on my way to purchase it :) Thanks for making such nice addons Chris (y)
Thanks yavuz...

And I'm even working on a certain add-on right now, you'll be pleased to hear ;)

I'm continually getting the following error message;

PHP:
Server Error

Undefined index: oauth_token

XenForo_Application::handlePhpError() in SocialStatusUpdater/twitter/twitteroauth.php at line 118
TwitterOAuth->getAccessToken() in SocialStatusUpdater/ControllerPublic/Account.php at line 142
SocialStatusUpdater_ControllerPublic_Account->actionTwitterCallback() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 310
XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/xxxx/public_html/index.php at line 13

I believed I had fixed that one...

But anyway, the cause is likely that you've not updated the Admin CP options with the correct Twitter Consumer Key and Consumer Secret.

You need to first set up a Twitter App here: https://dev.twitter.com/apps/new

First page should look like this:
SSUApp1.webp

Once created, go into Settings and change the permissions to this:
SSUApp2.webp

Then on the application details page, you need the consumer key and secret from here:

SSUApp3.webp

And insert them into Admin CP Options here:

SSUApp4.webp

I believed I had fixed that one...

But anyway, the cause is likely that you've not updated the Admin CP options with the correct Twitter Consumer Key and Consumer Secret.

You need to first set up a Twitter App here: https://dev.twitter.com/apps/new

First page should look like this:
View attachment 34232

Once created, go into Settings and change the permissions to this:
View attachment 34233

Then on the application details page, you need the consumer key and secret from here:

View attachment 34234

And insert them into Admin CP Options here:

View attachment 34235

Problem solved now thank you but I have a suggestion or an idea for you; Can you add the new feature for Tumblr "Post to Tumblr"? it's possible for this add-on? This would be great if this can be done. Thanks.

Well, this seems to works great!!....I am ambivalent (towards myself, not the add-on, of not truly understanding a bunch of the add-ons that I really like, but did not understand fully until I installed) about the explanation of this...but I really like this in practice. (Not a dig on anyone, it may be either reading comprehension problem on my part, or tiredness).

Either way, I see huge usefulness of this and great potential. I will update with my experiences.

I may have spoken to soon...the fb part seems to work well. I updated/input all the info for Twitter, but it does not seem to tweet my status. Will see if I can't figure this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom