Social Groups for XenForo 1.x [Deleted]

I've got another suggestion. I find that sometimes it's easy for people in groups to miss when there is new activity in a group which can be a little frustrating especially if it's an important announcement, especially if they aren't watching the group forum. It would be really helpful if we could tag an entire group, the way you can a member (or an entire usergroup with other add-ons).

I've got another suggestion. I find that sometimes it's easy for people in groups to miss when there is new activity in a group which can be a little frustrating especially if it's an important announcement, especially if they aren't watching the group forum. It would be really helpful if we could tag an entire group, the way you can a member (or an entire usergroup with other add-ons).
While tagging a user group or social group might sound like a good idea, the more users that are in a group, the larger the detrimental impact there will be on the site as a whole. That's why there's a limit setting for the number of tagged users in XF itself.

I think the better solution might be to automatically make new members watch the group forum. I don't think it would have as much of an impact as tagging a whole group.

Hi Snog,

I'll have tons of groups, but all grouped by category if that makes sense. It would be best for me if the groups landing page listed categories which when clicked will show all groups in that category. Does that makes sense?

Can each group be private, invite only and will the threads and other content within those groups be restricted accordingly?

Thanks for your feedback

Hi Snog,

I'll have tons of groups, but all grouped by category if that makes sense. It would be best for me if the groups landing page listed categories which when clicked will show all groups in that category. Does that makes sense?

Can each group be private, invite only and will the threads and other content within those groups be restricted accordingly?

Thanks for your feedback
I'll add the category list to the wish list for the add-on. But, you don't "have" to use that landing page. You can just have the groups in the forum categories if you want.

Groups can be invite only, private and hidden if they are created with that option checked. It all depends on what options the creator of the group selects.

.... but I want to break away from the forum 'format' and look / feel! I like THAT landing page you show in the screenshots.... now if only those groups were in fact categories with images.... if clicking a category brought you to another page quite similar with groups (and their images) then it would work more to my needs. I might be an edge case so I'll leave that with you.

.... but I want to break away from the forum 'format' and look / feel! I like THAT landing page you show in the screenshots.... now if only those groups were in fact categories with images.... if clicking a category brought you to another page quite similar with groups (and their images) then it would work more to my needs. I might be an edge case so I'll leave that with you.
Version 1.0.4 is being tested on my site now.

It does add the category listing as requested however it does not completely replace the forum system. That is far beyond the scope of this add-on since it would require modifying or replacing a good majority of the templates in XF to stop a user from breaking out into the 'forum look'.

Reactions: Rob
Snog updated Social Groups with a new update entry:

Social Groups Update 1.0.4

An update to the Social Groups system has been released. Those that have purchased this add-on, please run sgroups_install.php to install this update.

This update add/fixes these items...
  • Add show group categories option
  • Add banners for group categories
  • Add banner upload for admins
  • Add create group sub-forums
  • Add create group sub-forum user permissions
  • Add edit group sub-forums
  • Add limit to number of group sub-forums that can be created
  • Add error when the PC...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Sorry, but I don `t know how to do it
I just checked and you haven't installed the add-on yet.

Read the README.txt file for instructions about how to install the add-on.

When you install it, you will receive the current version.

Snog updated Social Groups with a new update entry:

Social Groups Update 1.0.6

An update to the Social Groups system has been released. Those that have purchased this add-on, please run sgroups_install.php to install this update.

This update fixes/changes the following items...
  • Fix PC sender error during installation
  • Fix group creator not added as member when a group is created
  • Change sub-forum permission level now saved and displayed when editing sub-forums
NOTE: You must edit and re-save the permissions for existing sub-forums....​

Read the rest of this update entry...

I see this question has already been asked, but I will ask again..... Any chance we could see importing from vb3.8.x? We have many vb3.8 boards that we are porting to Xenforo that have social groups and would rather not throw this data out.

I see this question has already been asked, but I will ask again..... Any chance we could see importing from vb3.8.x? We have many vb3.8 boards that we are porting to Xenforo that have social groups and would rather not throw this data out.
Sorry, there are no plans for an importer from vB.

Top Bottom