Social Groups for XenForo

Social Groups for XenForo [Paid] 2.1.33 Patch Level 6

No permission to buy ($49.00)
Ref this... "Create Group Forum"

Can threads in this group forum be moved out to / imported from the public forum ?

Also, we use a lot of private forums and permissions on them are a nightmare, they suck by being hideously complicated. How do they work for social groups?

Ref this... "Create Group Forum"

Can threads in this group forum be moved out to / imported from the public forum ?

Also, we use a lot of private forums and permissions on them are a nightmare, they suck by being hideously complicated. How do they work for social groups?
Yes they can be moved to a regular forum via the normal move methods in XenForo 2.

While the group system works very similarly to private forums, there are separate permission settings for group members built into the system.
grouppermissions.webp

Yes they can be moved to a regular forum via the normal move methods in XenForo 2.

While the group system works very similarly to private forums, there are separate permission settings for group members built into the system.
View attachment 163415

Thanks. Currently to secure a private forum, I've got to manage settings on about 20 groups, and create yet another usergroup to give permissions to the new private forum.

Please tell me this is far simpler !

Thanks. Currently to secure a private forum, I've got to manage settings on about 20 groups, and create yet another usergroup to give permissions to the new private forum.

Please tell me this is far simpler !
All you need to do is set the member level permissions and the users need to join the group. Their permissions are automatically set for the group.

And be sure to set the group as a "Private group" when it's created. That automatically sets permissions for all other users.

Of course you have to be using the "normal" XF permission system where all users are "registered" users for it to work properly. If everyone's primary user group is not "Registered", the permission system will not work properly.

Snog updated Social Groups for XenForo 2.x with a new update entry:

Social Groups for XenForo 2.x Update 2.0.3

An update to the Social Groups system for XenForo 2.x has been released. Those that have purchased this add-on, please log into your account on my site to download this update.
  • Fix - Error when attempting to access a discussion from a deleted group
  • Fix - Template modifications to account for changes to Ui.X2 style (version 2.0.0.2)
UPGRADE INSTRUCTIONS FOR Ui.X2 STYLE USERS
1) Take your site offline (Admin->Setup->Options->Board active)
2) Disable the Social Groups add-on
3) Upgrade the...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:
Hi @Snog Before buying two questions to see if this fits my needs. Can groups be separated by category just like nodes? Can I show the categories and groups on the forum node page?

Yeah I checked it out :) All your groups were just lumped together, so wasn't sure if it supported categories.

Oh, and if you meant a category list from the group tab, I've switched my site to display that.

I'll have a look at these some time this week. But, #1 is by design and I don't think a tab will be added for them.

Hi Snog,
I don't mean we need a new tab. I mean We can use the first tab of the group (Information) to display these stats if there is no sidebar checked.

And, Could we have a widget to display a list of public events? So we can display it on your home page.

Do you have, or do you know of somebody using this, where the photo album is used. I thinking this add-on might be the answer to my need for a "showcase" area since the showcase used by most won't be updated for xf2.0 anytime soon.

Hi Snog,
I don't mean we need a new tab. I mean We can use the first tab of the group (Information) to display these stats if there is no sidebar checked.

And, Could we have a widget to display a list of public events? So we can display it on your home page.
I probably wouldn't add that data to the group page. That would involve adding database queries and I don't think it would be wise to do. That's why the sidebar is optional.

I'll put the public event widget on the wish list for the add-on.

Do you have, or do you know of somebody using this, where the photo album is used. I thinking this add-on might be the answer to my need for a "showcase" area since the showcase used by most won't be updated for xf2.0 anytime soon.
The photo area in the group system is a very rudimentary system. It is not intended to be used the way you're thinking.

some questons:
all the groups events marked as PUBLIC are visible on a SINGLE calendar page? or users need to go in every single group calendar to view them?
every PUBLIC event is linked to a "standard" thread outside groups?

some questons:
all the groups events marked as PUBLIC are visible on a SINGLE calendar page? or users need to go in every single group calendar to view them?
every PUBLIC event is linked to a "standard" thread outside groups?
Public events can be viewed on the Public Events page:
https://snogssite.com/group_events/public

Events are not linked to any threads anywhere unless a thread about the event is manually posted.

Top Bottom