So I finally figured out the XenForo permissions system

Code Monkey

It only took me like 3 months. I was really hating it big time. Now all of a sudden I see it right there before me. And I feel stupid for not seeing it before. It actually makes sense. It works plain and simple. I finally feel fully liberated from the spell of my former forum love. :D

Yes once you "get it" it's such a brilliant way of doing it. I know I was rather stuck in my vB rut so it took me a little while to get to grips with it too.

It is indeed awesome but a real pain to work with if you are migrating from VB with multiple user groups. Thanks to the new usergroup search and action features in 1.2 I will be cleaning up my permission system too when it goes gold.

I still struggle with it and find it to be a bit annoying as hell to deal with. My least favorite thing about XF but thankfully i don't have to deal with it too often.

It seriously is the most ingenious permissions systems I've ever used. It took me a while to understand it (I was stuck in the vBulletin mentality) but when I did it was a massive lightbulb moment and now can't imagine using anything else.

It seriously is the most ingenious permissions systems I've ever used. It took me a while to understand it (I was stuck in the vBulletin mentality) but when I did it was a massive lightbulb moment and now can't imagine using anything else.

I still prefer the way IPB does their Permissions because if you have multiple subgroups(In my opinion) with XF, it gets annoying because you have to make sure this permission is set properly and doesn't conflict with the other subgroups.

But i've only been using it since March 2013(XF that is) so hopefully with time, I'll get the hang of it.
just now i had to add a new moderator and I couldn't understand why her color didn't reflect the moderator group but it took me a minute or two to figure out why...

I think what annoys me is that I can have a Moderating/Administrating usergroup and add the person to the usergroup but then I have to actually click on the administrator or moderator link in ACP to actually make them a moderator. That annoys me the most.

I still prefer the way IPB does their Permissions because if you have multiple subgroups(In my opinion) with XF, it gets annoying because you have to make sure this permission is set properly and doesn't conflict with the other subgroups.

But i've only been using it since March 2013(XF that is) so hopefully with time, I'll get the hang of it.
just now i had to add a new moderator and I couldn't understand why her color didn't reflect the moderator group but it took me a minute or two to figure out why...

I think what annoys me is that I can have a Moderating/Administrating usergroup and add the person to the usergroup but then I have to actually click on the administrator or moderator link in ACP to actually make them a moderator. That annoys me the most.

I started in March as well. Your light bulb moment is just around the corner. :D

As far as the moderator thing. Just skip that first step and only do the second part you mentioned. You can add them to any group from within the moderator creation page.

I started in March as well. Your light bulb moment is just around the corner. :D

As far as the moderator thing. Just skip that first step and only do the second part you mentioned. You can add them to any group from within the moderator creation page.

Yeah now that you just said that does make sense :D Hmm, suddenly that makes this slightly more easier haha

Yeah the problem is we all used to use forum software that was far more difficult than it needed to be. Once the flashbacks fade and we stop having the shakes from withdrawal we are able to accept the simplicity of logical code. :D

Yeah the problem is we all used to use forum software that was far more difficult than it needed to be. Once the flashbacks fade and we stop having the shakes from withdrawal we are able to accept the simplicity of logical code. :D

What software did you come from(mine was iPB)

I think one of the best things I did before migrating from vBulletin was moving every single member into the registered usergroup. Not because I knew I should do it but because I had no idea what to expect. I think I avoided a mess by that lucky guess. I would advise that for everyone.

I really don't get what is the difference between XF permissions and VB. Have you done your permissions like Borgan explains in his guide? If yes, I don't like it and I continue to do my permissions as I did on my vB board. I have no conflicts, since I never choose "NEVER" in the permission, just allow/not set, and that's it. I'm dealing with each user group individually, and I don't build one group over another (I don't use secondary groups).

I think one of the best things I did before migrating from vBulletin was moving every single member into the registered usergroup. Not because I knew I should do it but because I had no idea what to expect. I think I avoided a mess by that lucky guess. I would advise that for everyone.

Doing it in vB was a good move. I tried to simplify what I could in vB, but there was a lot of leftover "junk".

Once I had the forum up and running for a couple of weeks, ironing out issues, I then redid permissions completely and put everyone in Registered, even staff. From there, I use the secondary groups to add or revoke permissions. I found out the hard way that the Registered group is a special "core" usergroup that cannot really be changed.

It took me literally a few hours to redo all of the usergroups and forum permissions on our big board. It needed to be done, since the import from vB left a lot of crap behind, including some unused usergroups or ones that made no sense. I also labeled every secondary usergroup clearly, using prefixes so that other staffers would know which ones could be changed and which ones never should. Really works nicely now, and setting up new forum areas is so much easier than it ever was on vB.

Just for future reference, my usergroups all use similar wording so it is easier to understand what they do. I use prefixes like this:

"Allow" enables a permission for selected users (which are usually features like a custom title, thread prefix usage, etc.)
"Revoke" removes permissions from users (which could be the private conversations, a forum area, a feature such as avatars or attachments, etc.)
"Access" opens up access to a forum area (such as our "Marketplace" area with classified ads, deals, etc.).
"[P]" prefix are for the two primary groups: Non-registered/unconfirmed, and Registered.
"[Staff]" prefix is used to grant staff permissions (moderation features, etc.).

Two special groups I use:

Verified Member: the first handful of posts from new members go into the moderation queue. Once they've had a number of messages approved, they gain "verified" status, which enables instant posts, access to the Off-Topic area, and a few other features we do not enable for new sign-ups.

Suspend: this takes away posting and private conversation privileges, along with avatar and attachment uploading. In essence, they can read the forum but can't do much else. This is triggered by a total of 100 warning points.

What was really confusing at first was how I was setting up permissions--I finally figured out I was OVER-applying permissions everywhere. I've since been enlightened. ;)

Looking at my Revoke groups, for instance: the usergroups that remove access to forum look like they do nothing--they are all set to "Not Set (No)". Instead, the power of this usergroup is applied in the forum permissions instead, where it get the "Never" permission applied (such as, access to Off-Topic). If one of the Revoke groups removes a feature, though, such as uploading avatars/attachments, those permissions are set to "Never" while all others are left alone.

Groups, I've found, best apply their permissions in small nibbles. :) Once I figured that out, I had that same "lightbulb" moment. :D

I really don't get what is the difference between XF permissions and VB. Have you done your permissions like Borgan explains in his guide? If yes, I don't like it and I continue to do my permissions as I did on my vB board. I have no conflicts, since I never choose "NEVER" in the permission, just allow/not set, and that's it. I'm dealing with each user group individually, and I don't build one group over another (I don't use secondary groups).

The vBulletin method was quite different and focused on primary groups w/ secondary. XenForo treats them all the same and encourages additive permissions (versus having to revoke permissions in a bunch of groups / allowing them.

Top Bottom