As designed Smilies parsing being done on parts of words

digitalpoint

If you write this in a post, XenForo_Model_Thread::prepareThreadFetchOptions() the middle of it is parsed as a smiley like so: XenForo_Model_Thread::prepareThreadFetchOptions()

I'm using the [plain] BBCode to actually make it work in case you are wondering. :)

Maybe require white space around smilies in order to auto-parse them into images?

I agree.... and let me just test something...

I went to a place called Scunthorpe a few weeks ago...

Yep... similar issue with the censor words... though slightly less of a problem with that. As you probably wouldn't want someone circumventing it by stringing swears together.

********cunt.

Though, I just feel sorry for people from Scunthrope :ROFLMAO:

This seems like something you should just live with. Requiring white space seems a "not necessarily correct" solution as there are legitimate use cases without white space. An explicit way to handle parsing problems seems the best way (ie the plain tag).

Agreed that there are edge cases where you wouldn't want white space... But would you tether sometimes see a smile without the image or sometimes see an image in the middle of a word? Maybe if there isn't alpha characters surrounding or something.

I agree.... and let me just test something...

I went to a place called S****horpe a few weeks ago...

Yep... similar issue with the censor words... though slightly less of a problem with that. As you probably wouldn't want someone circumventing it by stringing swears together.

Though, I just feel sorry for people from S****hrope :ROFLMAO:

They didn't seem to care a year ago: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/no-censor-action-on-urls.13249/#post-299263

This seems like something you should just live with. Requiring white space seems a "not necessarily correct" solution as there are legitimate use cases without white space. An explicit way to handle parsing problems seems the best way (ie the plain tag).

Can't think of any to be honest

If someone types a smiley touching a word, I highly doubt they want it converted to an image

So currently, this is as designed. I'm not against necessarily changing in the future, but it would involve a big change to the smiley parsing mechanism, and it'd likely end up moving to a much slower method (unfortunately).

Can you pls reconsider that?
The current implementation leaves to many users wondering why smileys pop up they never intended to use. I second Alfa1s observations.

Alternatively, what about changing the default smiliey BBCode tags so that for future (new) installs they will use a more friendly tagging convention (and hopefully people will follow it with any new ones they add of their own). E.g.;

::smile::
::grin::
::barefoot:: <--- lol
::angry::

You get the idea ... ::thumbs-up::

Alternatively, what about changing the default smiliey BBCode tags so that for future (new) installs they will use a more friendly tagging convention (and hopefully people will follow it with any new ones they add of their own). E.g.;

::smile::
::grin::
::barefoot:: <--- lol
::angry::

You get the idea ... ::thumbs-up::

You can do this yourself already.
But if you want the standard smiley codes ;-) :-) to work, you have no chance currently.

The solution to this problem is rather simple. The
If you write this in a post, XenForo_Model_Thread::prepareThreadFetchOptions() the middle of it is parsed as a smiley like so: XenForo_Model_Thread::prepareThreadFetchOptions()

I'm using the [plain] BBCode to actually make it work in case you are wondering. :)

Maybe require white space around smilies in order to auto-parse them into images?

I suggest not using the simple smilie codes that end in one alpha character. The tongue smile should be renamed to :tongue and that will solve this problem.

The solution to this problem is rather simple. The

I suggest not using the simple smilie codes that end in one alpha character. The tongue smile should be renamed to :tongue and that will solve this problem.
Yet cause so many more.

It just isn't intuitive to change what has been internationally recognised smilies for nearly 20 years just because the software on very rare occasions converts text it shouldn't do into smilies.

The correct solution to the problem is to be aware of it, and wrap your text like this: [plain]XenForo_Model_Thread:prepareThreadFetchOptions()[/plain]

The [plain] bb code[/plain] prevents BB Code and Smilies from being parsed.

Agreed that there are edge cases where you wouldn't want white space... But would you tether sometimes see a smile without the image or sometimes see an image in the middle of a word? Maybe if there isn't alpha characters surrounding or something.

Not just alpha characters, but internationalisation characters and numbers too ... if a smiley concatenates anything but a space, or endofline, then it's unlikely to be an intentional smiley

Together, the following smiles occur common enough, that most users will have seen the issue within their 1st 100-200 posts (I've hit it at least 5 times)

:D
8-)
:o
:(
>:(
:@
:)
:-)
(:
o_O
O_o
o.O
O.o
:p
:P
:-p
:-P
;)

As more smiles are extended/added, it becomes more common. I've seen quite a few users mentioning the smiles issue, I doubt there would be complaints of users not being able to produce smiles with:-\in the middle of a word ... and if they did have complaints, then it's this case that should have a work around (for instances, use a text version like : barefeet : )

The correct solution to the problem is to be aware of it, and wrap your text like this: [plain]XenForo_Model_Thread:prepareThreadFetchOptions()[/plain]

The [plain] bb code[/plain] prevents BB Code and Smilies from being parsed.

Learned something new today. I've always used code tags when I didn't want something to be parsed into smilies.

Top Bottom