1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SMF Transfer

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Glenn Kilpatrick, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Im running a very large smf forum.

How smooth is the translation to xenforro
    Is Xenforro theme responsive ?
    What about the urls ?? is there a redirect for smf urls ?
    I use a tagging plugin. Does xenforro have something similar and would there be a way to transfer tags.

Attached Files:

2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

• The importer from SMF to XenForo is in beta stages but it has been used by many people with no problems. Obviously very wise to do a number of test imports first.
    • Yes, resize your browser here and view on mobile to see the responsive style in action.
    • There are no redirects at the moment but many people have been able to write their own redirects.
    • There is no tagging feature in XenForo, there is a popular add-on in the Resource Manager for tagging but to the best of my knowledge it doesn't import tags from SMF.

Brogan likes this.
  3. Mark87

Mark87 Active Member

Just switched from SMF... Highly recommend the switch. Try the demo it makes a big difference.

4. How about your urls mark ?? Its most important my seo isnt harmed.

5. Mark87

Mark87 Active Member

SEO is much better then SMF.... several things you need a mod for in SMF is already added to Xenforo. Glenn set up the demo and play in the admin panel.
    SMF 2.1 is riddled with errors and bugs and all your mods and themes will have to be redone. Switching to Xenforo gives your community great stability and software with a stunning track record. My two cents at least.

6. Chris D

Mark87 I think Glenn was after advice on redirecting URLs.

There's no official redirection scripts like there is for vBulletin and it's unlikely there will be.

However, may people have already made the move and redirected their URLs manually. Do a bit of searching. I found this one:

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/smf-redirect-to-xf.67533/

7. looks like it may be quiet simple. I hope so as I need to get away from SMF, they are going backwards.

Mark87 likes this.
  8. What about attachments ??? will they import and display as normal ?

9. Chris D

Yes, they are imported.

I can't recall how they display in SMF but post import they would display similar to this in XF:

Attached Files:

10. In SMF they automatically display in post at a size set by the admin.

11. But its not an issue if that cant be recreated. Im seriously thinking of a transfer soon. Just got to make sure Ive asked all the questions I can think offirst. Thanks for helping me guys much appreciated.

12. jeffwidman

jeffwidman Active Member

13. HRCTom

HRCTom Member