SmartFTP issue

Chimpie

Since this is off-topic....

I just installed SmartFTP 6.x and trying to upload a directory to my remote server. This directory has five folders and some misc files.

When I begin the upload, all the misc files in the main directory upload just fine. The rest of the folders are stuck in the Temporary Queue. I can't seem to find a way to start the upload.

I never had a problem with my old computer or the older version of SmartFTP. This is confusing me.

Thanks, I'll look into those if I can't get this to work. I used to use SmartFTP for years but this new version has me stumped. I never had this problem before.

I created a thread in their forums but still waiting for a better explanation.

We have had more issues related to FileZilla over the past x years than any other FTP client.

I don't use anything other than WinSCP now.

We have had more issues related to FileZilla over the past x years than any other FTP client.

I don't use anything other than WinSCP now.
I've had issues with the others.
Filezilla's been great for me and the best thing is it's free to use and it works.
Maybe for those who are having trouble with it they should get it sorted with their hosts so that they can get login details that enables them to use the service.

It's nothing to do with hosts.

I have performed hundreds of installations.
The only time I have ever had issues it is due to FileZilla.

I'm testing FileZilla now and it's okay. Still have to get used to it.

I'm really not to fond of SmartFTP at the moment. Support is not the best.

It's nothing to do with hosts.

I have performed hundreds of installations.
The only time I have ever had issues it is due to FileZilla.
With my host i have two different login details.
Both are by the web hosts who hold the database and mcsql details.
Whilst you might be having issues with filezilla i suggest that you look at the login details of each problem that you might be having.

For example don't use your email address and password in the ftp bar.
Your host should have given you a shortened version of your account as well as the frontend and backend details if you have a site as well.
For example ftp details might be
Host = xenforo.com
Username = xen1
Password = sjrbfd

As I have explained already, it's not a host/login issue.

It relates to randomly failed individual files, which is an issue with the FTP client.

With my host i have two different login details.
Both are by the web hosts who hold the database and mcsql details.
Simple matter... FileZilla at times sucks.
I AM my own host... and know how the correct way to log into my server is (since I set it up). I frequently had problem with FileZilla on both the Windows and Mac machines. I ended up going with Transmit on the Mac.

It relates to randomly failed individual files, which is an issue with the FTP client.
Glad I'm not the only one, I get this often with Filezilla
I'm sure it's something to do with Filezilla not liking latency
If I'm uploading files to a host which is in the USA (I'm in the UK) it fails on loads of files
But when uploading to a UK host, it only fails on a few (why it doesn't retry, I don't know)

Glad I'm not the only one, I get this often with Filezilla
I'm sure it's something to do with Filezilla not liking latency
If I'm uploading files to a host which is in the USA (I'm in the UK) it fails on loads of files
But when uploading to a UK host, it only fails on a few (why it doesn't retry, I don't know)
That is pretty much the same as I saw. It gets even worse when you tell people to try using SFTP

Yea there was one site I was working for, which is hosted on Dreamhost, only allowed 2 connections per IP
Had to upload a wordpress installation, I think in total, I had to requeue files about 20 times or more in total, it was stupid

Simple matter... FileZilla at times sucks.
I AM my own host... and know how the correct way to log into my server is (since I set it up). I frequently had problem with FileZilla on both the Windows and Mac machines. I ended up going with Transmit on the Mac.
That's where you need another company to help you out.
You might be your own host but you probably keep putting in the wrong details.
Yea there was one site I was working for, which is hosted on Dreamhost, only allowed 2 connections per IP
Had to upload a wordpress installation, I think in total, I had to requeue files about 20 times or more in total, it was stupid
Dreamhost is rubbish especially if you have a heap of connections.
I found SmartFTP crap as well.
Even DriveHQ is awful and that's a paid one.
I strongly suggest to google up all the FTP agents around and check the ratings of them all. I'd pick one free one and one paid one. Just in case you might have a billing problem.

That's where you need another company to help you out.
You might be your own host but you probably keep putting in the wrong details.
No... there is only ONE set of details. A username and a password. No more, no less... no need to use an email address. I've been doing this long enough to know that FileZilla is crap when it comes to reliability.... and not to trust anyone that says it is. To many people (and people I respect the opinion of) have had problems with it not successfully completing file transfers. Further I see plenty of problems with bad transfers that occurred for users using it and when they switched to another program (using the SAME logon cred's) it worked fine.

And as for needing another company to help? I think if I'm "smart" enough to install VM environment on my main server and then create multiple KVM VPS's off of it without any problems (while using CSF on the main iron and the VPS's and the routing being just fine) I doubt if I need someone else to come in and say "Yep, you've set it up right". :rolleyes:

Simple fact is... FileZilla will sometimes short a file upload - whether it's because it gets a transmission error and can't sync again on that file or whatever.

Last edited:
Steer clear of SmartFTP, support is atrocious. Just take a look at @Chimpie's thread on their support forum.
The sad thing is that I used to use their product exclusively. I NEVER had a problem with their older version. Worked flawlessly.

How can I feel right about paying for a new license with support like that?

The sad thing is that I used to use their product exclusively. I NEVER had a problem with their older version. Worked flawlessly.

How can I feel right about paying for a new license with support like that?

Another look at their site and support policies indicate that official support is only for licensed users, but yes apparently they have a great business model for scaring away potential customers :/.

Top Bottom