Show "X is typing a reply"

TheBigK

Currently XenForo tells us whether others have posted a response while we're composing our reply. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a little window above the quick reply box that tells us who all / is typing a response currently? Many messengers do this and I think it's quite awesome.

Upvote 64
Now that would be seriously cool. Would be great if that could be implemented with BorBole's
Current Thread Viewers/Browsers 1.1 add-on.

If it just rode on the back of existing server calls such as draft saving then I don't think it would add any huge server load would it? I know it will add some load, but unless I'm missing something I don't think it will be much more in addition.

If it just rode on the back of existing server calls such as draft saving then I don't think it would add any huge server load would it? I know it will add some load, but unless I'm missing something I don't think it will be much more in addition.
For updating the list of people typing that might be true. But it would require extra server calls to fetch the list for everyone viewing the thread (to update the list on their screen).

If you consider that the information is useful only when typing a reply yourself then that could get around it @Daniel Hood. Ie.... only show this info when composing a reply (and hence hooking into the save drafts process)?

I dunno, lol... just an idea

If you make the assumption that only people typing a reply need to see who else is typing a reply then I suppose it could work without additional server calls. I think it'd be nice for everyone to see though.

I actually like this idea.... a lot. Since this wouldn't be something I would expect to see in the near future (At least until 2.0 if even then), I wonder what @Waindigo would charge if they were interested in doing a public release addon? I wouldn't mind tossing in some cash for it if others were interested.

We'd definitely be interested in this. If you just hijacked the existing calls as you've suggested, this shouldn't be too difficult. Please drop me a PM.

We'd definitely be interested in this. If you just hijacked the existing calls as you've suggested, this shouldn't be too difficult. Please drop me a PM.

If anyone is truly interested in getting this started, please let me know. I will assist with funding. Typically public releases are the best way to go with Waindigo. If you are looking to make it private then I wont be able to support that. Sorry.

Currently XenForo tells us whether others have posted a response while we're composing our reply. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a little window above the quick reply box that tells us who all / is typing a response currently? Many messengers do this and I think it's quite awesome.

That's cool. Didn't the smf forum do something like that a long time ago?

I had this feature working on my big board for 10 years on vbulletin. It didn't add significant overhead at all.
The feature is really missed by my community.

Last edited:
thats so great thanks(y)

Top Bottom