1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest Shorter URLs for /threads/, /forums/ by adding a letter after the dot

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Gec, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Gec

Gec New Member

I'd like to change the URL structure. Say 123 is my forum or thread ID. Instead of:

mysite.com/forums/forumname.123 and mysite.com/threads/threadname.123

I want:

mysite.com/forumname.f123 and mysite.com/threadname.t123

I want the system to differentiate between forums and threads with the same ID by the letter after the .dot (i.e. f or t).

Thanks!

2. Daniel Hood

Daniel Hood Well-Known Member

Why not just use a route filter and do

Domain/t/title.id
    domain/f/title.id

Nearly the same effect and doesn't require changing the entire way paths are routed.

Mr. Goodie2Shoes and pegasus like this.
  3. Gec

Gec New Member

Well, for aesthetic reasons :). And a little bit for the SEO too.

4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

How does replacing forums and threads with f and t respectively help SEO?

5. Gec

Gec New Member

Well, I did say "a little bit". I'm far from being an expert, but it's my understanding that the closer the keywords are to the beginning of a URL, the better.

It may have a 0.001% impact, or it may not. Either way, it was secondary. Mostly, it's aesthetics. :)

Thank you for the opportunity to clarify.

Edit: just to clarify, my suggestion was to drop an entire subdirectory altogether, i.e. remove the /f/ and /t/, and move them after the dot and before the numeric ID.

6. Jon W

Jon W Well-Known Member

7. Gec

Gec New Member

Thank you Jon! I just installed the AddOn and it's exactly, EXACTLY what I was looking for. Have an awesome 2015!