Share Your Lack of Sleep Stories

Amaury

(All times are PDT.)

I'm running on about three hours of sleep today.

I have alarms set to go off between 6:00 AM and 6:20 AM on a daily basis, so I woke up yesterday around 6:00 AM, but didn't wake up for good until around 7:30 AM, but for whatever reason, I did not feel tired and go to bed for yesterday until around 4:30 AM today. I then woke up around 6:00 AM, but fell back asleep and later woke up for good around 8:00 AM since I had to take my mom to work.

Strangely enough, I haven't really felt tired all day.

Last edited:
I once worked a job where I worked 4 x 12 hour night shifts, 6 pm - 6am. After that, it was a lovely 4 days off. But in that 4 days you have to try and change your sleeping pattern, because after the 4 days off, it's time to work 4 x 12 day shifts, 6 am - 6 pm.

My lack of sleep story begins on Sunday, the last of my four days off. I wake up at 2pm in the afternoon. Fast forward 12 hours. I'm still wide awake. 2am and I have to be at work at 6am. Another two hours later. Still awake. So I make the decision to go straight through without any sleep.

An hour later (5am) and I'm driving to work. I'm not even at work yet and I'm already tired. Get to work. Fast forward 12 hours. Home time. Nearly fall asleep while driving home.

Never stayed up so long since. Nor will I again.

Haven't learnt my lesson much. Far too often still up at 3am working, then up at 7am to get to day job.

I worked 78 hours straight without sleep once*.

I was a contractor, paid by the hour, more for unsociable hours, so it was totally worth it :D

*Fixing a mobile network problem in Turkey.

My current 4 week shift pattern (Blue = 12 hour nights, Green = 12 hour days)

upload_2014-6-10_0-21-39.webp

Then I end up doing stupid things like this:
upload_2014-6-10_0-22-46.webp

or this
upload_2014-6-10_0-23-14.webp

I am a contractor, working in IT(SAP) for a large global mining company.

Big project going on...so last week i worked...
Monday 10am-12pm = 14 hours
Tuesday 10am-2pm = 16 hours
Wednesday 10am-10am(next day) = 24 hours
Thursday 3pm - 5am(next day) = 14 hours
Friday 11am - midnight = 7 hours
Saturday 1pm - 10pm = 8 hours

Not much sleep in between. Infact i went home totally thrashed after a 24 hour stint on thursday morning at 10am...needed a few hours sleep in between...at 11:30am the fire alarm went off in my apartment building....and i just slept through it due to being so damn tired. Luckily it was a false alarm.

The only time I can get any meaningful sleep is when it rains / thunders.

It's been that way as long as I can remember, no idea why, it just is. Otherwise just generally doze at night, but very rarely get into deep sleep, but the moment it starts raining or thundering, im out like a dead person, will sleep through anything short of someone coming and waking me up physically.

The only time I can get any meaningful sleep is when it rains / thunders.

It's been that way as long as I can remember, no idea why, it just is. Otherwise just generally doze at night, but very rarely get into deep sleep, but the moment it starts raining or thundering, im out like a dead person, will sleep through anything short of someone coming and waking me up physically.
Have you tried a white noise machine?

Have you tried a white noise machine?

Tried everything, from white noise to tapes to tablets to natural remedies, ozone generators, you name it ive tried it.

The only thing that works is the wet stuff falling from the sky!

Tried everything, from white noise to tapes to tablets to natural remedies, ozone generators, you name it ive tried it.

The only thing that works is the wet stuff falling from the sky!
I've got an app on my phone, and the best one I find for sleeping to is rain on a tent.

I've stayed up until the very next morning many times. Most of them were because of my site(s), others because I just couldn't go to sleep. My favorite story, however...

I've been negotiating with the previous owner of CODForums.com for weeks, if not months. So, one day, when I got my first $500 in my account, I wasted no time chatting the night/morning away. I was waited all morning, just for the owner to get online. I was ready to negotiate, I was ready to make it all happen. I was ready to go. It's like holding an MP5 and you're about to flank a room of 5 people who's target you aimed for. After hours of waiting, we talked until the very next morning, I didn't realize what time it was. All I knew that, when I sent the funds - I felt a genuine accomplishment. I felt good.

Few months later, I sent him the other half - $500 and then some more just to get domains transferred under my name. I finished a very long project. I moved all domains under my name, moved the files over to my server, and the rest was history.

When I'm on nights, I usually get to bed around 7:30/8am, and I'm awake again by 12pm. Body just won't let me sleep past midday.

I normally sleep between 6-8 hours a night. Mourning doves and woodpeckers are the only things that can keep me up in the mornings if I somehow wake-up before my alarm.

Sometimes when I am coding I will stay up for 30 hours or so. I do my best work at 3 am in odd places which is why I was always preferable to having a laptop. Sometimes its less than deliberate. I was installing equipment on my truck and went 30 hours without realizing it and then went to a pool tournament that I passed out at.

A few years ago I'd be going to bed about 3am, getting up at 7am every day. This lasted for about a year in total. It got pretty bad to the point where I was suffering with sleep paralysis.

I'd end up waking up and being unable to move, but there'd be someone in the room. It was terrifying. I'd then 'wake up' and realise it had been a dream.

Eventually I learned to notice and control it. I was somehow able to do things like close the door, and was aware I was dreaming. In the end I learnt how to wake myself up from it.

Needless to say I started getting more sleep after that. It does come back from time to time if I've had a few days in a row where I've not been feeling great, or havn't slept well though.

Dont skimp on sleep.

For a good two years I'd go to bed at 2-4am wake up at 7:30/8, I stopped that crap.

Now I just work out more and I fall asleep like a baby around 9-10 most nights. Good thing now too I wakeup around 5:30/6am with no clock just I'm ready to go. I feel far more productive with the earlier mornings

A few years ago I'd be going to bed about 3am, getting up at 7am every day. This lasted for about a year in total. It got pretty bad to the point where I was suffering with sleep paralysis.

I'd end up waking up and being unable to move, but there'd be someone in the room. It was terrifying. I'd then 'wake up' and realise it had been a dream.

Eventually I learned to notice and control it. I was somehow able to do things like close the door, and was aware I was dreaming. In the end I learnt how to wake myself up from it.

Needless to say I started getting more sleep after that. It does come back from time to time if I've had a few days in a row where I've not been feeling great, or havn't slept well though.

Dont skimp on sleep.

As far as I know, there's no connection between sleep paralysis and lack of sleep.

Top Bottom