1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixed server error when creating new child style

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by anotheralias, Oct 13, 2010.

1. anotheralias

anotheralias Well-Known Member

When trying to create a new style as the child of a parent style, I get this message:

Tools
    Error

A server error occurred. Please try again later.

The new child style name appears under the parent style, but there's no cache-and-template-building phase, it just goes straight to the error message instantly.

I haven't had any problem with this until now and I've probably created about a dozen child styles. I tried to do this with two different styles just to be sure it wasn't something about the parent style.

2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Enable debug mode by adding this line to your library/config.php file:

Code:
    $config['debug'] = 1;

Then try to reproduce the problem again. That may reveal a more detailed error message that the devs can work with.

anotheralias likes this.
  3. anotheralias

Thanks Jake! I knew there was more I was supposed to do, but I didn't know how. (First time I ever reported a bug.) Will do and report back. :)

4. anotheralias

This is the full error report when I try to add a child style:

Server Error

Argument 1 passed to XenForo_Model_Template::compileTemplateInStyleTree() must be an array, boolean given, called in /[editing out my personal info] /library/XenForo/Model/Template.php on line 873 and defined
    1. XenForo_Application::handlePhpError() in XenForo/Model/Template.php at line 905
    2. XenForo_Model_Template->compileTemplateInStyleTree() in XenForo/Model/Template.php at line 873
    3. XenForo_Model_Template->compileNamedTemplateInStyleTree() in XenForo/Model/Template.php at line 834
    4. XenForo_Model_Template->compileAllTemplates() in XenForo/CacheRebuilder/Template.php at line 36
    5. XenForo_CacheRebuilder_Template->rebuild() in XenForo/ControllerHelper/CacheRebuild.php at line 26
    6. XenForo_ControllerHelper_CacheRebuild->rebuildCache() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Tools.php at line 63
    7. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Tools->actionCacheRebuild() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 303
    8. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
    9. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /[editing out my personal info]/admin.php at line 13

5. anotheralias

Actually this isn't a bug so much as it is a problem that I can't fix, and meanwhile I can't create any styles. Could a Moderator please move this to General Troubleshooting for me? Thanks very much.

6. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

An error like that is worth looking into as a bug.

7. anotheralias

Okay, sorry.

8. anotheralias

I am really, really sorry to badger Support again, but even though I deleted this line from library/config.php the (gigantic, neon)messages are still showing up, and I don't know how to get rid of them.

9. Jake Bunce

Do you see debug stats at the bottom of each forum page?

If so then debug mode is still enabled and you need to edit the config file to remove that line.

anotheralias likes this.
  10. anotheralias

Thank you Jake. No, there's nothing like that at the bottom of the page. Did I need to do anything to get out of debug mode besides delete that line from config.php? (Which I did?)

11. Jake Bunce

Nope. Just delete that line in the config file. That's it.

anotheralias likes this.
  12. Blandt

Blandt Well-Known Member

You need to refresh your browser like a madman :D Ctrl-F5

anotheralias likes this.
  13. anotheralias

lmao.... thanks Blandt, I'll give it a try! Better than pulling my hair out like a madman. :D

Thank you Jake, I appreciate your help!

14. anotheralias

FWIW, this seems to be fixed in Beta 2. So far anyway!

15. Mike

I haven't actually tried to debug it yet. :)

16. Mike

We independently stumbled upon this bug and fixed it. :)

anotheralias likes this.
  17. anotheralias

So it was actually a bug and not a screwup on my end? I'm delighted! :)

18. anotheralias

Would you happen to remember what caused it? Because I really need to export/import a child style, but I'm afraid of locking myself out of Styles again until the next upgrade.

19. Mike

Us running into it involved some bad code that was never released. I'm not sure how it happened to you. If it happens, you can probably fix it by reimporting the master data by going to <url>/install/ .

20. anotheralias

Thanks for your reply Mike. :)