XF 2.2 SEO improvements: noindex + exclude from sitemap

Soyuz_new

A nice improvement for Xenforo SEO would be to noindex pages in 2 levels:

• Single thread
  • Whole forum (all threads in the forum + forum pages)

As of today, you only can noindex all threads in a forum from the node setup. But there is another problem: no matter if you noindex all threads, they appear in the xml sitemap anyway, so Google throws a lot of "Submitted URL marked ‘noindex’" errors.

So, it would be great to noindex single threads / whole forums AND exclude those noindexed items from the sitemap. Is there a way to do this? There is a XF2SEO module around promising part of that functionality, but seems unreliable.

I think that this should be a core feature, BTW. It makes not much sense to offer a "noindex threads" functionality for SEO reasons if you don't exclude them from the sitemap (because at the end you are hurting your SEO).

My SEO addon which is unreleased solves these points and adds even more index options and missing segments of the site map.

Hello,

I have a lot of forums set to be noindex and have no errors in the search console.
Are you sure that threads included in the noindex forums appear in the sitemap?

As of today, you only can noindex all threads in a forum from the node setup.
This isn't correct, you can set conditions on which threads should be noindex.
1635511508989.webp
But there is another problem: no matter if you noindex all threads, they appear in the xml sitemap anyway
This isn't true either, noindex threads do not appear in the sitemap.
If they do (after the sitemap has been rebuilt so changed settings could become active) you''ll need to find out what's going wrong.

My SEO addon which is unreleased solves these points and adds even more index options and missing segments of the site map.
Your addon looks great, but are you sure there is still an issue with noindex threads being in site map? If they are then that is surely a bug and should be addressed first.

Top Bottom