XF 1.5 Send contact form mails as plain text?

Gladius

Ridiculously, I can't find where to toggle the contact form plain text/html... and neither ACP search, googling or searching here helps. Is it hiding in plain sight?

There isn't an option. We do send both HTML and plain versions of the email though; that would be configured within your email client.

The problem is, Outlook 2010 is doubling all the spacing when replying to the HTML version for some reason. That is, I'm seeing my own text that someone responded to double in spacing with every subsequent response. I haven't noticed this behaviour with any other emails received... is there a simple fix for this? Outlook's got a gazillion options so there probably is something to deal with this. However, I'm not sure if I'm the only one seeing this or do the recipients see it as well. The paragraph spacing of the same mails displays fine in Gmail, for instance.

I'm very unsure of why Outlook would be doing that, though Outlook's HTML support is ... different. It may be worth testing to see if it's just a composition quirk; you may be able to do that by forwarding/replying and changing the email to yourself.

Only other workaround I could think of is switching to the plain text version (https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/831607).

For composing mails I've actually got it set to plain text, so I've never seen this issue until I started using XF's contact form to receive mails. I don't recall this spacing issue happening with other e-mails containing HTML, anyway. It seems that this only happens when responding to e-mails where a contact form HTML version is the first message in the correspondence. I'd rather not force convert everything to plain text if the issue is limited to XF only but rather just change the outgoing contact form mail to be plain text only... I've seen the plain text/HTML toggle in other places so I was surprised that it's not available for the contact form. Would just copying the plain text template and pasting it into the html one cause any problems?

I think that's always been a problem with Outlook. I also have issues of text lines in replies changing the font size exponentially after each reply, lol. I've seen it happen in other email deliveries, not just XenForo.

Weird things definitely do happen in Outlook from time to time, but here it seems to be consistently growing worse because it's adding extra spacing after every exchange.

So a mail log starts looking like this:

"Hello,

text.

Bye"

after second reply it turns into:

"Hello,

text.

Bye"

after third:

"Hello,

text.

Bye"

Etc. you get the idea. Which obviously looks embarrassing.

For composing mails I've actually got it set to plain text, so I've never seen this issue until I started using XF's contact form to receive mails. I don't recall this spacing issue happening with other e-mails containing HTML, anyway. It seems that this only happens when responding to e-mails where a contact form HTML version is the first message in the correspondence. I'd rather not force convert everything to plain text if the issue is limited to XF only but rather just change the outgoing contact form mail to be plain text only... I've seen the plain text/HTML toggle in other places so I was surprised that it's not available for the contact form. Would just copying the plain text template and pasting it into the html one cause any problems?

@Mike ?

Actually, I've done some testing now and I'm seeing the same behaviour with what started as a regular plain text mail too, I just responded to it with Formatting set to HTML. This definitely wasn't the case before and I haven't made any changes in Outlook or Office, so I can only assume that one of the automated updates recently broke this. :/ I'll keep testing to see if I can narrow it down even further.

I think you've demonstrated this by the last message, but unfortunately generally speaking, this is something that would need to be addressed within Outlook.

Top Bottom