1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented "Search this thread"

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Sami, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Sami

Sami Well-Known Member

Since "Search this forum" is now implemented, I think it would be good to add also "Search this thread" for consistency. Moreover, I personally use search in a thread often and search in a forum close to never.

I hope this is not a dupe. :)

cobra1162, Vilandra, Blue and 79 others like this.
  2. kmike

kmike Member

Yes please.

3. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

Don't know any suggestions with this.

This certainly needs to be added ;)

4. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say this is a needed feature but would be cool to have :)

5. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

How come? Let's suppose we're looking at a 40-paged website. And you wanna find a link that someone posted in these 500+ messages. You only know the link has 'pig' and '.tail' in it. What now without search funtion?

Jenna Appleseed likes this.
  6. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

I have seen threads with thousands of posts, searching within a thread seems like a vital function to me.

7. Sami

Sami Well-Known Member

That was exactly my motive combined with the fact that on a support forum there's a good chance you already know which thread has the info you need.

8. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I needed this earlier today, and was disappointed that it wasn't there! :p

9. James

James Well-Known Member

I think it'd be a lot easier to create filters on the current search function. If you know what forum it's in you can search the forum and it'll search entire posts automatically. You can then use this new filter to filter the thread title and it'll take you to your post!

A search this thread function could be cool.. but if it's going to take up resources I'd rather live without it! :p

10. Sami

Sami Well-Known Member

Nah... I imagine people would use the general search to find a thread about something they want to know about. Then they need to find details in that thread. It doesn't make sense to force them up in hierarchy if they already have the correct thread in front of them.

11. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Good suggestion. I hate having to go through a 10+ page thread to find one little tidbit of info.

12. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Supported. I always loved this in vBulletin.

13. Fufu

Fufu Well-Known Member

search in thread would be nice. :cool:

14. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

why not? :p

15. Sami

Sami Well-Known Member

Why I'm not searching in a forum? I either know enough to go to the right thread, or if I don't, it's easier to use the simple search field or advanced search.

16. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

yes mate, agreed! ;)

17. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

Yes, it could be quite useful.

18. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

(quoting myself here... do I get an alert now!? Ha! :D)

Anyway, I definitely need a search function that let's me search for all postings I, myself made in a thread. So, when there would be a Search This Thread function in XenForo, that would make it possible.

19. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I say you guys just stop complaining and use Ctrl-F to search 40+ pages...

JK :) Search this thread, is a MUST-HAVE feature!

20. yoghurtfarmer

yoghurtfarmer Well-Known Member